Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents
View Poll Results: What best describes you and your automotive credentials?
Engineer: Automotive or Motor vehicle related
8.25%
Mechanic: Professional
17.08%
Wrench on everything yourself but not getting paid for it.
31.77%
Really enjoy cars and do some wrenching but leave the big stuff to the pro's
21.11%
I like Cars!
3.07%
Engineer: Other fields besides auto
14.78%
Other: Tell us your car credentials... and why we should listen to your opinion
3.93%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Advanced Reader Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Work for fibre channel chip company, writing device drivers, changed from 20 years in aerospace/submarine "stuff".

Bach. Eng. (EE)
Bach. Sci. (Comp. Sci)
Bach. Sci. (Phys)

Wrench on it myself (for me and my friends) and not get paid for it.

Pulled everything apart as long as I can remember.
Never happy unless I could see it work with my own eyes.

Worked part time in my Dad's transmission shop in Sydney until he sold it and retired to Tasmania with my Mum (he owned it, ran it, and worked in it from '67 'till '89); besides overhauling trannies, he also cut open TC's, brazed the fins, reconditioned the stator clutch and washers, and rewelded them shut.

My garage is full of tools, and my Mrs keeps buying me more (I'm not complaining).
I have a mig welder and a compressor (both from Sears, nice store, we don't have that in Aust.), and I want to get a 20 ton press; my Mrs has a steady hand and when she tried my welder she made a really nice straight bead, better than I could do, although her pyjamies got a few spots burnt in them...

Last edited by joecar; 04-22-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Jet Mechanic, AV8B's. I have worked on cars since I was 6 however. My father is a Master Technition ASE Certified. He has taught me most of what I know. I do like cars, I will do most of anything myself. Just dont touch Autotranny's, manuals are easy however.

Ski
Old 04-08-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the wrench on everything yourself but not getting paid for it column. I'm 25yo parts guy. I ve been working on car since i was 16 on my 73 nova 6cyl three on the tree with points(boy there fun) basically its snowballed from there,bought 83 crossfire camaro to get around while the nova went 350 M4 to 350 A3 then the camaro's 305 got rebuilt and ditch the crossfire for a carb, then the nova got totaled by an armored truck while parked wow there not worth much check from the insurance was $1500 sold 83 z28 bought 96 s10 sold it POS, bought 98 TA awesome, and the 350 from the nova is in a 92 camaro rs 25th anniv ed which was slapped together with freebies is a hair faster than my TA and needs a paint job its for sale so i can mod my 98 TA

I'll do anything but an o/d auto and paint (tried that on my 83 TA in my unheated garage IN NJ during NOVEMBER bad idea and waste of money) looked fine when i went in for the the night when i came out the next morning F'ing A NIAGARA FALLS ON THE WHOLE QUARTER

Last edited by 98TA_vert; 04-08-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrench on everything yourself but not getting paid for it.

I was born into a gear-head family. My mother was powder-puff eliminator at St. Louis International Raceway the summer of '75 while she was pregnant with me. Dad has always wrenched on his own stuff and I was always near by. I learned a lot about cars and engines from watching him, helping as I got older. I built my first engine, a small block chevy of course, when I was 18. Picked all my parts myself and it turned out to be a great setup - turned 14.7 1/4's in a 3300 lb '81 Malibu with 2.41 gears.

I wanted to be a Mechanical Engineer, but calculus got in my way, and after a year of school, I switched to computers. My mechanical background landed me a job repairing laser printers and now copiers, but I've tried to keep after the computer stuff and learn some networking skills along the way.

I've spent the last two years remodeling my first house, and I haven't had time to devote to my Camaro, but I can't wait to get serious about modding it and tuning it. In the meantime, I've been playing with a Honda 50 that I ported the head and put a bore kit on. It'll do close to 50 with my fat *** on it, so I musta done something right.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

27 y/o family physician will be doing sports medicine almost exclusively soon.

Just getting into to Gen3 scene over the past few months with my truck mostly over on perfomancetrucks.net. I do more work myself these days and am limited by time and tools (money too).

Seeing how much I love just lurking these forums and learning as much as I can I almost wish I had gone the automotive route back when I finished high school. But oh well being a doc isn't all bad. Only 6 more hours in my shift.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

20 year old punk in the Engineering school at Oklahoma State Univ (Specifically majoring in Fire Protection and Safety Technology). I don't want to go into the automotive engineering field professionally, as I think I'll lose the intesest in doing it for fun. So I am aspiring to be a police officer, as I really enjoy the concept of emergency response. I work for OSU Police/Parking/Public Safety, and will gradulate in another 2 years.

At 16 I built my own equal length headers for my Lumina Z34 (Sold). I am beginning an engine swap into my Fiero, a 3.4l DOHC V6 that was found in the Lumina Z34s, and eventually it will get custom headers as well, along with a fully independent throttle body intake that I will build (already have the actual throttle bodies, need to build a lower intake/adapter, airbox, and everything else).

I am a member here because I like how members respect the past, but realize the future/present is far superior. There doesn't seem to be the classic mythology that carburetors and pushrods make the most horsepower; but that they work (Obviously well enough). I like the technical discussions.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

I am a 19 year old kid who knows how to do stuff, but just lacks experience on pretty much all the "big things". Most of the stuff I know I have taken from this forum, and technicians are always surprised at how much I know when I walk into their shops. I am currently in college right now, (With my childhood best friend, who ironically loves FORDS!!!) at Georgia Tech persuing a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I want to someday latch onto a NASCAR race team and play with chassis design, engine design, and anything else that no one has even thought of yet!

Last edited by Chevy_Truck_Man; 07-14-2006 at 01:58 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

24 y/o have had to fix every thing i've broke engines trannys rear ends and have even done my own conversion. No formal training but when your as hard on stuff as i am you better learn quick.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Teching In

17 year old high school student. I will be going into my 3rd year of autos class next year then plan on going to technical school.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

ASE-Certified CMAT, L1. FAA Airframe and Powerplant license. Been wrenching on cars since I was 12 (33 years now). Do everything except paint and wheel alignments myself. Been working as an automotive technical editor for the last 17 years.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Banned

21 year old backyard mechanic since high school.1st build 73 chev fleet side shortbed.454 big block,th-400 trans.edelbrock R heads.lunati cam.850 demon double pump.hooker long tubes.tci 3200 stall,back half,12 bolt fiberglass front clip wheel tubs,adjustable ladder bars 600 fwhp every bolton possible on a built 2 bolt main.all by senior year...smokin z28's stangs and early models of all ages..lack of traction though.ANGIE AT DAVES ENGINE MACHINE IN NEWARK CA, gave lots of engine pointers before i built in my garage.father had no automotive past at all. this led me to every car show machine shop race shop,ect. for good info.now 02 z28, well boltons and own ms3 gonna put er in too.i put in gears axels,erething.----saving for a well tested set of heads and 12 bolt ...tuning via synergy and newtech in the bay area of course.hadnt had time to mod since feb/13/06 (except urethanes and lowering setup.)new and first child for me came .now all my buddies get free labor.well not if beer is pay.ha ha. looking to build a track only iroc-z in near future replicating my 02 z28 setup...but uglier...and cheaper....but i want to go N2O CRAZY WITH 300 shot lt1.breakparts is my name and id rather break my iroc z.THAN MY LS1, cuz i love it and hate to see it break. but im gona buy a trailor for the iroc cuz i will indeed break it.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

For those of us who read and comprehend English, and not whatever that was written in.

Hi there, my name is BREAKPARTS, and I am a 21 year old backyard mechanic since high school. My 1st build was a 73 Chevy FleetSide, shortbed with a 454 big block. Mods included a th-400 trans, Edelbrock R heads, a Lunati cam, Demon 850 double pumper, Hooker long tubes, TCI 3200 stall, 12 bolt fiberglass back half, front clip wheel tubs, adjustable ladder bars, that somehow pulled 600fwhp despite being RWD. Pretty much every bolt on possible with a 2 bolt main (I'm calling BS). All of this was done by senior year in high school (Obviously no college with this kind of grammar). I was smoking Z28s and Mustangs of all years despite a lack of traction. Angie at Dave's Engine Machine in Newark, CA, gave me a lot of pointers prior to building this engine in my garage. Soon after I found my way to every car show I could find, machine and race shops, ect. I now own a 2002 Z28 with some bolt-ons, and a have a MS3 to put in her. I have already put in gears and axles. I'm saving up for some good heads, a 12 bolt rear-end, Synergy engine management and Newtech in the bay area. I havn't really had time to mod it in a few months though, since my wife (Or so I hope), had our first kid. I'm looking to build a track-only Iroc-Z in the near future, replicating my Z28's setup, but uglier and cheaper. I'd like to go crazy with nitrous, a 300 shot LT1 (Yah right...)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

ive been hanging around cars for a few years now and im going for a degree in automotive engineering next year. but for now, i can get around a car.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Mechanical Engineer working on Masters Degree in engineering. I have performed a V8 swap into an S-10 and I do as much of my own work as possible.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Mechanical Engineer here. I have been working on cars and trucks since the late '80s, and learned most of what I know from my gear-head dad and my friend Adam. Like most of the people in this forum, most of my early projects were not exactly "cool". I started out replacing starters on late '70s rusted junk, and have worked on gems like a 74 maverick, 77 cutlass, and an 86 camaro before i finally built some nice (and fast) rides later on. I have definitely made and learned from some mistakes along the way(did my first engine re-build when I was 14,and it spun a bearing 5 min. after i started it up). Cool that sites like this exist where I can still learn and meet alot of smart people.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Recent Nascar engine shop employee, now designing parts for Nascar/NHRA/IHRA engines.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

I'm currently a full-time project designer and working toward a civil engineering degree at age 36.

I've worked on all my own vehicles for the last 20 years +/-. I have been involved with high performance SBC's, of some sort, for most of that time which includes; engine builds, cyl. head port design with flow bench implementation, manifold porting, fabrication/welding, fuel injection tuning (NA and turbo), assembling/rebuilding rearends and misc. custom carbon fiber parts fabrication. I'm sure I've forgotten some things but, this covers the majority of it.

Mike
Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Talking Pep Tech

Worked as a Machinist, Mechanic, Engine Builder, Ran the front counter at a few machine shops and now Manufacture custom valves, seats, guides for
big Engine Builders. I also handle cataloging and Marketing as well as Quality
Control and tech assistance for Precision Engine Parts in Las Vegas.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Advanced Reader Poll-ta-6l-ls1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

well I'm 15 and I loved cars since I was........born

and I'm hoping on getting an iroc in a year or two but this site has given me a mountain of information about all cars and has sharpened my skills since I joined 2 years ago
Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Smile Shell Valley Cobra

amateur car hobbyist- currently starting on a Shell Valley Cobra with an LS364/440 engine. I will build the car in my home workshop with professional help when required. This is the first engine I have worked on/with that does not have a " shop manual " for technical support so I will be spending a lot of time searching for technical assistance. But, I suppose time and persistence will win out and I will enjoy the project inspite of GM. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Advanced Reader Poll