Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Fuel Vaporization + Adiabatic Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Vaporization + Adiabatic Engine?

I was digging around researching a few things on high efficiency engine designs, and onboard hho generators and other cool stuff when I came across this:

http://www.panacea-bocaf.org/fuelvap...technology.htm
http://www.rexresearch.com/yunick/yunick.htm

Has anybody on here attempted anything to do with 100% fuel vaporization? It makes sense that the car would be able to achieve much higher efficiency with this, Since, a lot of the wasted heat energy in the exhaust and block would be transferred to the air / fuel mixture. Although, in the article, it stated that detonation was not a problem when the fuel / air mixture was completely vaporized. Just something interesting to think about.... If anybody knows anything about it, lemme know.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smokey Yunick did some work in the early 80's. There is an arcticle in this months hot rod mag, here are a couple links I found in a min:

http://schou.dk/hvce/

http://www.rexresearch.com/yunick/yunick.htm
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Damn! This section has turned into a bunch of useless spambots peddling bullshit.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Hunh? i was asking a legit question.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericmck2000
Very reasonable question too!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Launching!

Lol, was just wondering if anybody did any experimentation on this, since, it supposedly did happen back in the early 70s.....

I mean, if its possible to eliminate detonation via means of 100% fuel atomiztion, That could have some very very cool uses............ Can you say.... 100lbs of detonation free boost on 93 octane!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually came to advanced tech to post about this very topic. There has been several "experiments" in the past that dealt with fuel vapor to different degrees. All claimed high mileage and reasonable to high power.
Yunicks engine, as I understand it, heated the incoming air, via two heating methods. And relied on the heated incoming air to vaporize the fuel. If i recall correctly, detonation occurs around 670 degrees f. No ones talking on the temp he targeted though. I would guess 400+ though.

Another heated the fuel, capsured the vapor and injected the fuel vapor. I dont really remember much about that one.

The one common theme in all "advanced tech" though are...

1. they all claim good results
2. they all claim high ve's
3. the inventors die
4. the oems have the tech and do nothing with it

Any leap in engine tech would over night put people out of work. If its reliability or fuel consumption, billions would be lost and people get put out. So there is a huge adversary to anything like that actually happening.

Back to topic....

I just picked up a duramax engine...well parts, and was thinking about converting it to gas, well a hot air vapor gas engine. Compression, boost, heated air and fuel vapor...

My other idea, is using a honda lean burn 1 liter engine (i have an extra one) that is from the insight. My insight already gets 55-85 mpg, and I originally got the spare engine to raise compression, coat everything and see if I could just raise the ve slightly. Now Im thinking maybe do the same thing, but ad a turbo heated air, and hot fuel.

Really just see If the I can melt some ceramic coated pistons, and ofcourse data log and etc etc....

Ill work on both, but they are long term projects since they dont pay the bills.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The fact that you aren't smart enough to understand why your are an idiot means you shouldn't post here.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1320
I actually came to advanced tech to post about this very topic. There has been several "experiments" in the past that dealt with fuel vapor to different degrees. All claimed high mileage and reasonable to high power.
Yunicks engine, as I understand it, heated the incoming air, via two heating methods. And relied on the heated incoming air to vaporize the fuel. If i recall correctly, detonation occurs around 670 degrees f. No ones talking on the temp he targeted though. I would guess 400+ though.

Another heated the fuel, capsured the vapor and injected the fuel vapor. I dont really remember much about that one.

The one common theme in all "advanced tech" though are...

1. they all claim good results
2. they all claim high ve's
3. the inventors die
4. the oems have the tech and do nothing with it

Any leap in engine tech would over night put people out of work. If its reliability or fuel consumption, billions would be lost and people get put out. So there is a huge adversary to anything like that actually happening.

Back to topic....

I just picked up a duramax engine...well parts, and was thinking about converting it to gas, well a hot air vapor gas engine. Compression, boost, heated air and fuel vapor...

My other idea, is using a honda lean burn 1 liter engine (i have an extra one) that is from the insight. My insight already gets 55-85 mpg, and I originally got the spare engine to raise compression, coat everything and see if I could just raise the ve slightly. Now Im thinking maybe do the same thing, but ad a turbo heated air, and hot fuel.

Really just see If the I can melt some ceramic coated pistons, and ofcourse data log and etc etc....

Ill work on both, but they are long term projects since they dont pay the bills.
That sounds cool, let me know how it works out for ya.

Originally Posted by gametech
The fact that you aren't smart enough to understand why your are an idiot means you shouldn't post here.
If you don't have anything productive or meaningful to say, **** off.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, was just wondering if anybody did any experimentation on this, since, it supposedly did happen back in the early 70s.....

I mean, if its possible to eliminate detonation via means of 100% fuel atomiztion, That could have some very very cool uses............ Can you say.... 100lbs of detonation free boost on 93 octane!!!
Technically, this already has happened. You didnt say gasoline.....Some cummins guys are well above 100 psi on diesel which I think actually has an octane around 80 but I cant remember. I know of one cummins guy that runs about 135 psi.........in a ford truck. It makes well over 1000 hp out of about 360 inches, with torque around 2000 ft lbs.

It seems that the way a diesel runs is getting closer to a gas engine over time. Originally known as a detonating engine, now diesel tech says they dont actually detonate, and due to technology now have much more controlled and refined combustion events.

There was a duramax powered sn 95 mustang on drag week. Getting almost 40 mpg, making 700+ hp and running as fast as high 9's.....Seems that a 60 mpg diesel at 3500 lbs isnt that far off if you only wanted t run 12's or 13's, with the pony cars. Why hasnt an oem done it? The new camaro could have come out with a 4.5 duramax, 12 sec et's at 3900 lbs.....and if it didnt, a typical "box" would get it there. And get well beyond 40 mpg.

So why not? The 4.5 duramax is supposedly already done. It would kill sales of all the other lines....why buy a malibu you invested in that gets 30 mpg if you could get 40+ in camaro.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn't go so far as to respond like this, and I'm not backing responses like this although I did laugh a little,

... the Pogue carburetor violates the first law of thermodynamics, a commonly accepted scientific postulate that has been with us since 1830...
http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm

not to be a hypocrite by just posting another random link to some website, I have no idea wtf mikebrown is, but if you dig a little bit into what you posted it becomes quickly apparent that it's bullshit. There have been people since the industrial revolution started, claiming this and that with their inventions.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some cummins guys are well above 100 psi on diesel which I think actually has an octane around 80 but I cant remember
diesel does not have an "octane" rating. please look up the principle behind octane as it relates to gasoline. Diesel engines work on the principle of detonation, that is why the ford powerstrokes of the mid 90's were so frickin loud, because all the diesel was injected at once and it explodes. The reason diesels are so quiet now is because of different methods of fuel injection- basically injecting a small amount of fuel early on that lets cylinder pressure increase more gradually. The old way of a huge fuel shot rapidly raised cylinder pressure and that's what causes the noise.

I know of one cummins guy that runs about 135 psi.........in a ford truck. It makes well over 1000 hp out of about 360 inches, with torque around 2000 ft lbs.
boost it all you want. Diesel is injected into the cylinder, not the intake. Boost would only be limited to how much air you could compress practically... here is where you could throw in that adiabatic word. After that boost would be limited to compression ratio and what cylinder pressures the piston, rings, and head gasket could handle. The fuel [diesel] has nothing to do with it.

It seems that the way a diesel runs is getting closer to a gas engine over time. Originally known as a detonating engine, now diesel tech says they dont actually detonate, and due to technology now have much more controlled and refined combustion events.
NO !!!
by getting closer to a gas engine in terms of noise maybe. But a diesel will always be a detonating engine. You know it doesn't use spark plugs right? Any diesel tech that says otherwise is.... not smart enough to understand why they are an idiot. They do have more refined combustion events, and it's for the simple reason I stated above.

There was a duramax powered sn 95 mustang on drag week. Getting almost 40 mpg, making 700+ hp and running as fast as high 9's.....Seems that a 60 mpg diesel at 3500 lbs isnt that far off if you only wanted t run 12's or 13's, with the pony cars. Why hasnt an oem done it?
fuel economy and [power output/performance] are inversely related. And to supe up a diesel to make whatever the vehicle run low times in the 1/4 is fine, it is easily done just max out the boost and fuel delivery, that's all it is. Highest cylinder pressure possible results in max power output, but there is no durability and reliability of the engine, that is why the oem's don't do it. They have enough problems with the fuel injection system and all the other emissions **** they are now hanging on the engine.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically, this already has happened. You didnt say gasoline.....Some cummins guys are well above 100 psi on diesel which I think actually has an octane around 80 but I cant remember. I know of one cummins guy that runs about 135 psi.........in a ford truck. It makes well over 1000 hp out of about 360 inches, with torque around 2000 ft lbs.

There was a duramax powered sn 95 mustang on drag week. Getting almost 40 mpg, making 700+ hp and running as fast as high 9's.....Seems that a 60 mpg diesel at 3500 lbs isnt that far off if you only wanted t run 12's or 13's, with the pony cars. Why hasnt an oem done it? The new camaro could have come out with a 4.5 duramax, 12 sec et's at 3900 lbs.....and if it didnt, a typical "box" would get it there. And get well beyond 40 mpg.

So why not? The 4.5 duramax is supposedly already done. It would kill sales of all the other lines....why buy a malibu you invested in that gets 30 mpg if you could get 40+ in camaro.
There is ALOT of money and research going in to deisel engines at the moment. In the EU well over 60% of all cars sold are deisels. The new generation VW, ford, GM and BMW units all run common rail injetion with massive fuel line presures. Unlike in the past they dont just have a single conitueus injection for the whole burn stroke. they fire the inejctor upto 7 times. this makes for a much cleaner and more complete burn resulting in more power and better efficencies.

CHris.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
diesel does not have an "octane" rating. please look up the principle behind octane as it relates to gasoline. Diesel engines work on the principle of detonation, that is why the ford powerstrokes of the mid 90's were so frickin loud, because all the diesel was injected at once and it explodes. The reason diesels are so quiet now is because of different methods of fuel injection- basically injecting a small amount of fuel early on that lets cylinder pressure increase more gradually. The old way of a huge fuel shot rapidly raised cylinder pressure and that's what causes the noise.

boost it all you want. Diesel is injected into the cylinder, not the intake. Boost would only be limited to how much air you could compress practically... here is where you could throw in that adiabatic word. After that boost would be limited to compression ratio and what cylinder pressures the piston, rings, and head gasket could handle. The fuel [diesel] has nothing to do with it.

NO !!!
by getting closer to a gas engine in terms of noise maybe. But a diesel will always be a detonating engine. You know it doesn't use spark plugs right? Any diesel tech that says otherwise is.... not smart enough to understand why they are an idiot. They do have more refined combustion events, and it's for the simple reason I stated above.

fuel economy and [power output/performance] are inversely related. And to supe up a diesel to make whatever the vehicle run low times in the 1/4 is fine, it is easily done just max out the boost and fuel delivery, that's all it is. Highest cylinder pressure possible results in max power output, but there is no durability and reliability of the engine, that is why the oem's don't do it. They have enough problems with the fuel injection system and all the other emissions **** they are now hanging on the engine.
Sir, you apparently just want to argue. You inferred things I did not say. I did not say a diesel engine was NOT a detonating engine....I said they seem to be getting closer to a gas engine, that is all. The other people that say they are not a detonating engine, well, take it up with them. Most that I have heard say that are are engineers Ive had conversations with. I dont argue with them cause I value my time more. Yes I know my cummins does not have plugs, thanks for the update. I noticed that when I rebuilt it, along with a few other things. It only made it 240k miles, but its failure was my doing, I was pulling 30k lbs up a hill with a hole in the radiator. You on the other hand seem to know why the oems dont do things. THATS A TRICK. I would guess, just a guess, that the reason they dont put the already developed 4.5 duramax in a car, is MONEY. What they base most of their decisions on. I think your correct on durability and reliability though, they would last MUCH TO LONG, which costs them money. You also seem to be focused primarily on us auto sales?

On the other hand, besides trying to twist words a little, you didn't add anything to the topic? You must be familiar with the hot air yunick engine, so can you specify the way and temps achieved to get past detonation?
There were rumor of oems using hot air tech, but then it all vanished. Hmm.....seems almost like the ev1 story. whoops we accidentlly built it to good, quick hide it.

"easily done, thats all it is" thats a great line.......

Last edited by 1320; 09-02-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuntington101
There is ALOT of money and research going in to deisel engines at the moment. In the EU well over 60% of all cars sold are deisels. The new generation VW, ford, GM and BMW units all run common rail injetion with massive fuel line presures. Unlike in the past they dont just have a single conitueus injection for the whole burn stroke. they fire the inejctor upto 7 times. this makes for a much cleaner and more complete burn resulting in more power and better efficencies.

CHris.
Chris, the interesting part is that the efficencies seem to not be getting much better if at all. Many of the older noisy engines have reputations of getting better mpg's then their newer more developed counter parts. They do run smooth and quiet though with higher and higher rev limits.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, the interesting part is that the efficencies seem to not be getting much better if at all. Many of the older noisy engines have reputations of getting better mpg's then their newer more developed counter parts. They do run smooth and quiet though with higher and higher rev limits.
well a deisel engine run lean anyway. Therefore is you make any advatages in power they are probably going to come from more fuel being added. Hence the bad milage. like you say though the newer engines make alot more power and over a much wider RPM than the old stuff. 2.0ltr 4pot turbo deisels over here used to red line about 4-4.5Krpm. now the are spinning to well over 5 if not higher. VW and BMW 2.0ltr deisels are pushing over 100bhp per ltr now and with masive torque(for the size of the engine).

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Damn! This section has turned into a bunch of useless spambots peddling bullshit.
Then please explain to me how you can further disperse fuel atoms in the combustion chamber for a more complete burn. I'm sure if the question is so simple you can give us your insight.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

diesels havent picked up much fuel milage lately because of the increased emissions. Seams kinda dumb 2 make u loose mileage and. I think sometimes we are quick to dismiss fuel saving technology because the libs are always trying to jam it down our throats. But I would like a cadillac sixteen that get 100 mpg. But for now ill settle for a nuclear powered one instead of the katech built V16.

Im no expert just another idiot trying to go fast as cheap as i can.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sir, you apparently just want to argue.
"easily done, thats all it is" thats a great line.......
it was midweek and i was grumpy
and if i misinterpretted some of your writing then my bad.
my point is this thread is trying to go a handful of directions at once, with diesels (compression ignition) and gasoline (spark ignition), and with things said (regardless of who said them) like diesels are not a detonating engine and the description about boost in a diesel were wrong.

the yunick crap is dated back to the mid 80's, before electronic and computer control of engines. Do not read terms like complete atomization and think it's not already happening, although atomization is a poor word to use. It is, that was the reason behind the fuel injector for gasoline engines and why they obsoleted the carb. when the a/f mixture gets compressed as the piston goes to TDC, that mixture becomes homogeneous and "atomized", there is no liquid fuel present anymore because the mixture has been heated as a result of that pressurization. If there is liquid fuel still present, it's because too much fuel was added for the quantity of air, the a/f ratio is overly rich. The O2 sensors prove there is complete combustion. Preheating the air/fuel mixture prior does what exactly? All it does is decrease density of the mixture entering the cylinder, it does not change the spark ignited combustion process. If it does tell me how. It does not cause the oxidation of fuel vapor with oxygen to expand to a gas at any different rate. And it is this expansion of gasoline vapor from oxidation into a gas which is what is doing the work. The whole heat is lost energy concept is taken out of context.

yunick bullshit:
In its simplest form, if the fuel is in a true vapor state and can be held that way before combustion, there can be no detonation. The fuel in a true vapor state has a much higher resistance to ping, while still using a low grade of fuel.
this is misinformation and deception to "sell" this concept to some sucker. Yeah, fuel vapor by itself with no oxygen will not burn, compress it all you want. Same thing if I took propane gas and filled a room with 100% propane gas, it won't burn. These mixtures need a certain ratio of oxygen for the combustion process to happen. Where yunick derails is you must have oxygen present in the cylinder, otherwise you won't have combustion. If you have your fuel vapor separate, and preheated enough, then it will detonate as soon as it hits O2.

further disperse fuel atoms in the combustion chamber for a more complete burn
what are the O2 sensors saying?
if everything is tuned right you are getting a complete burn,
complete burn is independent of power output,
it seems like people want to discuss power output, different fuel and combustion types, and fuel economy at once. you can't. you need to focus on one thing. but regarding complete burn and thinking you can get more mileage out of gasoline, go back to basic physics. A given quantity of fuel has only so much energy content,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline
horsepower (not torque) is the measurement to be interested in, which is equivalent to so many BTU's/time, and the amount of BTU's (energy) per gallon of gasoline, or diesel, is known.

VW and BMW 2.0ltr deisels are pushing over 100bhp per ltr now and with masive torque(for the size of the engine).
massive torque only means something if you mention what rpm, or distance, it is happening over. regarding diesel engine efficiency and fuel economy, look up some terms such as torque rise and engine sizing. And in general, mean effective pressure.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Launching!

here, think of it this way.
wasted combustion energy = heat
heat = energy
fuel + heat = energy of fuel + energy of heat
More heat, means, the fuel can mix better as well.
Try mixing suger in cold water, then heat the water up, and it mixed a lot better.

Just simple terms to think about.

yunick did not use pure fuel vapor. He mixed it with air.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
it was midweek and i was grumpy
and if i misinterpretted some of your writing then my bad.
my point is this thread is trying to go a handful of directions at once, with diesels (compression ignition) and gasoline (spark ignition), and with things said (regardless of who said them) like diesels are not a detonating engine and the description about boost in a diesel were wrong.

the yunick crap is dated back to the mid 80's, before electronic and computer control of engines. Do not read terms like complete atomization and think it's not already happening, although atomization is a poor word to use. It is, that was the reason behind the fuel injector for gasoline engines and why they obsoleted the carb. when the a/f mixture gets compressed as the piston goes to TDC, that mixture becomes homogeneous and "atomized", there is no liquid fuel present anymore because the mixture has been heated as a result of that pressurization. If there is liquid fuel still present, it's because too much fuel was added for the quantity of air, the a/f ratio is overly rich. The O2 sensors prove there is complete combustion. Preheating the air/fuel mixture prior does what exactly? All it does is decrease density of the mixture entering the cylinder, it does not change the spark ignited combustion process. If it does tell me how. It does not cause the oxidation of fuel vapor with oxygen to expand to a gas at any different rate. And it is this expansion of gasoline vapor from oxidation into a gas which is what is doing the work. The whole heat is lost energy concept is taken out of context.

yunick bullshit:

this is misinformation and deception to "sell" this concept to some sucker. Yeah, fuel vapor by itself with no oxygen will not burn, compress it all you want. Same thing if I took propane gas and filled a room with 100% propane gas, it won't burn. These mixtures need a certain ratio of oxygen for the combustion process to happen. Where yunick derails is you must have oxygen present in the cylinder, otherwise you won't have combustion. If you have your fuel vapor separate, and preheated enough, then it will detonate as soon as it hits O2.

what are the O2 sensors saying?
if everything is tuned right you are getting a complete burn,
complete burn is independent of power output,
it seems like people want to discuss power output, different fuel and combustion types, and fuel economy at once. you can't. you need to focus on one thing. but regarding complete burn and thinking you can get more mileage out of gasoline, go back to basic physics. A given quantity of fuel has only so much energy content,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline
horsepower (not torque) is the measurement to be interested in, which is equivalent to so many BTU's/time, and the amount of BTU's (energy) per gallon of gasoline, or diesel, is known.

massive torque only means something if you mention what rpm, or distance, it is happening over. regarding diesel engine efficiency and fuel economy, look up some terms such as torque rise and engine sizing. And in general, mean effective pressure.

Quick Reply: Fuel Vaporization + Adiabatic Engine?