Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Weight over the lifter verses weight over the valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
You want to limit the plunger travel to like say .015 or .020. Preload the lifter about .010 and you will have a nice high reving factory lifter. Never had a lifter break. We make about 530 hp on factory parts and run very low 10's at 3200lbs. No need to trick out the pushrod seats.
Rich
Stock1090, do you guys use anything along the lines of 150 lbs or more on the seat and 400ish open on stock lifters? Do they last or are you guys swapping after a few runs? Would you suggest a similar amount of preload on a morel type "stiff" lifter? Thanks. Oh, and happy thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

I'm starting to like Rich (Stock1090) quite a bit! You'll be added to my list
of Advanced Tech users (along with a few others in this forum).

Some of the tips I have been learning and applying to my motor have
been slammed by many users of this board (not anyone in this thread).

I wish the bench racers would all peek in here and learn a thing or two.

It's nice to talk tech with people who actually know how the "secrets" work.
Try convincing the average hobby mechanic otherwise.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
You want to limit the plunger travel to like say .015 or .020. Preload the lifter about .010 and you will have a nice high reving factory lifter. Never had a lifter break. We make about 530 hp on factory parts and run very low 10's at 3200lbs. No need to trick out the pushrod seats.
Rich
I am curious about this, as I have read elsewhere that the LS1 grows more than this value from cold start to operating temperature, wouldn't you then lose contact with the push rod and also run into a pump up issue?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

I would set the pre-load hot to account for expansion such that the end
result would be about 0.010" (adjustable valve trains)
Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Ok guys here we go. Yes we run more than that for spring. We can run to 7600 with no big deal. I have run the same set in our record setting engine for a few years with no issue. This is a race motor. You do need the .010 to .015 to take up for any heat expansion. If you go too tight you will know it. It will run like a turd. Get some ground face washers like ARP or sombody like that and grind them to fit in the bottom of the lifter body. Make sure the hole in the middle is big enough to let the spring go through it. There is some trial and error to get to the right size. Check the travel without the spring in the lifter. I do not run on the street so you may have to set the the preload a few times and heat it up to insure you are not holding the valve off the seat. On the LS we have to run the stock rocker so we have pushrods made to achieve the preload we are looking for.

Thanks for the kind words Mr Z. I was on here before but everybody thought they knew everything so after I saw the hardcore area I decided to throw my 2 cents in again.

Our team has had 8 or 10 NHRA records with LT1' and LS1's so I guess we are doing something right.

Last edited by STOCK1090; 11-24-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

looks like you guys covered most all the theory stuff.what do you guys think about the AFR hydra-rev kit?anyone tried it?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the Morel lifters compare to the Comp "R" lifters?
Lots of interesting info here .
Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
How do the Morel lifters compare to the Comp "R" lifters?
Lots of interesting info here .

I have not tried the Morels yet but from all I have heard they work great. My other choice would be the Schubeck's

I have a new set of Comp "R"s in it now and hope they make it through the season.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I have not tried the Morels yet but from all I have heard they work great. My other choice would be the Schubeck's

I have a new set of Comp "R"s in it now and hope they make it through the season.
Now the Schubeck's I have seen information on and they are very interesting .
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Now the Schubeck's I have seen information on and they are very interesting .
I have spoken personally with engineers from Comp. Cams and they say to be carefull with Shubeck ceramic style lifters, if they fail the debris will ruin everything in the motor except intake manifold. Just a heads up.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1882

I'd stay away from them myself (Shubeck lifters).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't intend to buy Schubecks, I just find the idea interesting.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Morel makes a limited travel lifter for the customer who wants to turn an engine. 190# on the seat is no problem. Plunger travel is set at a max of .030". For the guy that want hyd ease of adjustment but solid roller sound and stability these are the cats azz. Cost is about $100 more then a set of Std Morels.

Lifter weight. Reduction in valvetrain component weight can increase power and reving ability, but reducing weight at the cost of longevity of the part is not the answer. Whoever heard of coming in first after smokin an engine. Morels lifters are heavier then stock but there is a reason. We all know fluid doesn't like compressing. In testing Ed (Mr. Morel) did extensive hyd load testing on the effects of rpm, spring pressure, pushrod deflection, and valve float, and what happens to the lifter body during all of these. Body distortion. So Ed added material until the distortion disappeared. In this case the added gram weight is critical as far as Morel is concerned to keep the body OD concentric and not bulge out during high rpm which can cause lifter failure and oil pressure issues.

Sure you can run a cheaper lifter but their is a reason why the Morels cost more. Is the OEM lifter a good piece, yes. How about all the others, I'm sure the companies would not package/sell them if they weren't. Is there a better mouse trap. . .I guess it depends on what you want to achieve.