Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Another "Does anyone still use this old hotrod trick?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LIL SS
I was thinking about doing this in my setup. Not quite sure yet. If I did, would it be wiser to do it before or after the turbo is the question..
I was pondering the same thing. Seems that you would need to put it after the turbo (downpipe) because that would be the vaccume source as the header to turbo piping will have all sorts of backpressure built up inside. JMO
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I had a fuel filter on the line and it started collecting oil and a friend mentioned that it was probably restricting the flow a lot. So I can see holes drilled a good solution to that.

I also used an air compressor water seperator, and the element thing inside started falling apart so i took it off, then realized it needed some sort of condensing element still. I thought about steel wool stretched out a little but i didnt think it would work good with how the air flows just in the top of the chamber... but maybe ill try that idea. I think ideally it would need to have a tube that came down from the center with the wool inside and the air would flow through that to the outside, like the AMW or whatever catch can.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I have the exhaust vacuum in a 406 sbc in my road race c4 vette. The car has a full length 3 inch exhaust w/3inch header collectors. The one way valves are installed in the collectors. It pulls a lot of vacuum. I have not measured how much but it pulls a lot. My problem is sucking a lot of oil from the valve covers. What about an oil separator between the valve covers and vacuum? Mine pulls so much oil I get kicked off the track cause they think I blew the engine. I could put large breather on engine but I would like to get the oil problem solved...it would be like a free vacuum pump. I will measure the vaccuum and let you know what it is.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I have the exhaust vacuum in a 406 sbc in my road race c4 vette. The car has a full length 3 inch exhaust w/3inch header collectors. The one way valves are installed in the collectors. It pulls a lot of vacuum. I have not measured how much but it pulls a lot. My problem is sucking a lot of oil from the valve covers. What about an oil separator between the valve covers and vacuum? Mine pulls so much oil I get kicked off the track cause they think I blew the engine. I could put large breather on engine but I would like to get the oil problem solved...it would be like a free vacuum pump. I will measure the vaccuum and let you know what it is.
I wouls like to know how much vac you are pulling. In some cases , good baffling and separation are needed.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I haven't adapted the oil separator from a BMW 3 series but maybe you can look into it. This oil separator uses centrifugal force and drains the oil to the block via the dipstick. BMW calls the part a CRANKCASE-VENTILATION/OIL SEPARATOR.

Here is the M3 type
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=11&fg=15

Here is the simpler 3 liter type
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...14&hg=11&fg=15
Old 01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read about DSM guys using electric air injection pumps from late GM cars & trucks to pull a vacuum, i've never personally tried one, will the pump do much when operated like that?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking about what I am going to do. This is the plan as of right now.

The rear of the valve covers will see a breather each.

The front of the valley cover will get a fitting leading to a catch can.

From the catch can there will be a line ruinning to the downpipe of the turbo.

Just don't know what size lines yet.

Last edited by LIL SS; 01-06-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rjw
With all the talk about pvc and blowing oil, etc. I remember that we used to hook breathers to the valve covers and hoses from them to Chevy retard valves welded in the header collectors.

Does anyone use this type of system anymore? Would it help the LSx PVC issues?
my 97 vette I had some valve covers made with -12 bungs installed then ran 90 degrees into stainless braided hose down to the bottom into backfire valves right after the collectors on my kooks long tubes. engine is a 408 with an f1r and methanol injection. no oil consumption and fittings are in back of covers works great
Old 01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
I have been thinking about what I am going to do. This is the plan as of right now.

The rear of the valve covers will see a breather each.

The front of the valley cover will get a fitting leading to a catch can.

From the catch can there will be a line ruinning to the downpipe of the turbo.

Just don't know what size lines yet.

It might be better to have the breathers at the front of the valve covers. They would probably do a better job. They will see less oil than if you put them at the rear, especially if you wheelstand.

Daren
Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GIZMO
It might be better to have the breathers at the front of the valve covers. They would probably do a better job. They will see less oil than if you put them at the rear, especially if you wheelstand.

Daren
possibly so. but these vettes dont pullem up like the f bodys ive got the power but I still cant scrape the bumper!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Point for moving to them to the front is taken.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:06 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Still wondering if anyone has vacuum readings from this setup?

Quick Reply: Another "Does anyone still use this old hotrod trick?"