Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

question about gasoline direct injection theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ok, maybe we're more on the same page than i thought. True you're not getting anything at TDC, but you would at 5* ATDC, 2*, 1*, one millionth of a degree, etc. So instead of saying 1/infinity degree ATDC, i just said TDC.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, same page
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

the instantanious pressure thing was only used to clarify a point. instantious pressure is neither desireable nor realistic.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i doubt many people coming into this forum are going to think that instantaneous combustion/pressure exists (and surely you don't believe that anybody in here so far thinks that it does). but even if it did exist, it would not be desirable at 90 degrees ATDC like you mentioned in your point.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instantaneous pressure would split the cylinder or twist the crank apart. The burn would optimally be timed so max pressure occurred at the 90 degree point.

I understand spray pattern is very important for direct injection.
Jim
Old 12-31-2005, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW BMW is a leader in this area. We should be seeing them in the next few year. Fully computer controled valve timing and direct port injection. NO starters
Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

BMW actually has direct injection on it's V12 right now. Audi uses it on it's new 2.0T engine and will soon be using it on much more. A no starter engine would be really interesting but I can see it being really hard to do in a cold climate. Another advantage of direct injection is they spray the fuel right at the spark plug so they get a more complete burn. Very cool stuff.
Someone mentioned using multiple sprays to extend the burn; I don't know if this is being used on gas engines but the new Mercedes diesel uses it to make the engine quieter. Not really for power but an interesting tidbit regardless.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And as if by magic.. http://ls1-australia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2197
GM's new direct injection engine, looks well cool. Note is is said to run leaner too.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Audi actually uses it on the 2.0T, and the 3.2 V6, and it will debut for the market in the 4.2 in the RS4. Which has 420hp/420ft/lbs and revs to something like 8000+rpm. Man I can't wait to PDI that one. Audi actually credits there Le Mans wins to DI, or as they call it, FSI, because they are able to run leaner and thereby cut down on total pit stop time needed. We here in the US actually get a different version of DI than those in Europe because of fuel quality concerns. In Europe they use a true stratefied charge, while we here do not get it.

On the topic of delaying the fuel spray until much later in the cycle, it would be very difficult get the fuel to completely burn in an environment with rapidly declining pressures as well. This could cause all sorts of issues with unburnt fuel staying in the cylinder, not to mention, very inefficient. I don't have the specs on when the Audi's spray the fuel in and especially not with there race cars, but I can try and find out.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

back to basics- if you had the same pressure you have now only about 70-80* later, it wouldnt be a good thing?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
On the topic of delaying the fuel spray until much later in the cycle, it would be very difficult get the fuel to completely burn in an environment with rapidly declining pressures as well. This could cause all sorts of issues with unburnt fuel staying in the cylinder, not to mention, very inefficient. I don't have the specs on when the Audi's spray the fuel in and especially not with there race cars, but I can try and find out.
GM actually holds more patents on Gasoline Direct Injection than any other car maker in the world, I believe. Now that the US has pushed sulfur content in gasoline below 30ppm, I believe we should start seeing some of these patents put to production. As mentioned, the VW group has put several GDI engines on our shores and the drive I took in a new A6 with the GDI 6 cylinder was impressive.

So far, my reading of some of the technical info published is that the gasoline must be injected before the cylinder reaches full compression, as you mention, due to the fact getting it to burn in a cylinder dropping pressure is a problem and the burn isn't complete(higher emissions).

Has anyone seen the fuel pressure specs being used for GDI engines? I am wondering what the injector flow rate works out to be, as the fuel pressure has to be very high.

Todd
Old 01-05-2006, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Todd--- You sparked my curiosity on what the actual rail pressures on our Audi's run. Found a tech book that says 50-110 bar, which works out roughly to ~720-1600 psi. It uses the same setup that most DI motors use, which is a normal electric in tank pump, and then a step up pump run off of the cam shaft, just before the fuel rail. So yes, I would consider that fairly high pressue, though nowhere near what the diesel trucks are running, I believe ~15000psi and higher.

Trey- I'm far from being enough of an expert on combustion cycles to really make a good point. But in order to have the same pressure at 90* ATDC as we normally run right at TDC you would have to have ridiculously high compression, which would sap alot of power just to build on its own. Then you have to realize that fuel does not burn instantaneously. It's quick, but it does take a few milliseconds to burn across the top of the piston when it is near TDC. Just think if you increase that volume 4x (rough estimate of volume of cylinder when piston is at 90*ATDC, then it takes 4x longer to burn, the burn will be much much less complete equalling much less power, if you could even get it to run, which would be a feat to accomplish.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by treyZ28
back to basics- if you had the same pressure you have now only about 70-80* later, it wouldnt be a good thing?

no, it wouldn't be a good thing. not trying to be rude, but do u actually read responses?

yes, it is quite clear that your point is that the best leverage is applied at 90 * ATDC. no, that one simple fact does not outweigh the many many other negatives. u even contemplating this situation is ignoring many facts about combustion and combustion engines.

there's a reason the big boys aren't posting in this one. it's speculation, and bad speculation at that. it was a fine thought, but it got shot down immediately and that should have been the end of it.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont some BIG deisels run indavindual electric (72volt!!!) pumps ontop of each injector? well thats what some trunk mechanic told me!

i understand that higher fule rial presures give better atomisation in a normal engine (not dircet injection) and thus more power. is this true for Direct injection motors aswell?

Chris.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I only know of mechanical individual pumps on top of injectors. Rigs and some current VW/Audi TDI's use that system. A cam lobe acts upon the pump, which produces close to 30k psi and supplies a piezo injector:

Quick Reply: question about gasoline direct injection theory