Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Reverse split cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not overly knowledgeable in cam tech, but the biases in cam duration and lift would be used to offset a restriction. Be it an intake restriction (reverse split), or an exhaust restriction (standard split). I'd think you'd have to look at the E/I ratio of your heads at various lift points and then work from there the flow rates of your cumulative intact tract and your exhaust.

For all intents and purposes, though most everyone seems to favor single pattern cams here, I'd think for a standard car you'd either use a reverse or standard split. If you don't have LTs and an ORY you'd probably want a rather large standard split as by default the standard exhaust is more restrictive than the intake, irrespective of the head flow. If you do have those, you may need a reverse split or a single pattern depending on the heads and intake. I'm sure there's a hard number for the E/I ratio before a single pattern should seriously be considered. If the ratio is at 60%, I'd still go for a standard split. If the E/I is around 75% (my guess, not a hard number), then a single pattern cam would definitely be on the list, and possibly a reverse split.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Yes, if you know what kind of lobes they are, you can look at the cam supplier's lobe chart and find them there. If you don't have access to that or don't know who's ground the cam, then a Cam Doctor or Cam Pro Plus will give you the exact lift, duration and valve events of the cam.

Custom Cam from Cam Motion....if you could tell me where to look that'd be great
Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

My tr230 runs like a raped ape, I wish I had 4.10's though, but not bad at all with 3.42's!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dubs6
You will get less peak power and more torque and power under the curve. Your power will also peak sooner than a traditional split. I have a graph on my webpage.
OFF TOPIC but nice setup, your 1.87 RT w/4:10s made a big difference, the 4:10s w/good dragtires move these pigs off the line quick

Quick Reply: Reverse split cams