Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Question About Tuning ITB Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question About Tuning ITB Manifolds

Do ITB manifolds need sychronization like a Weber carb? Other than ECU programming, what sort of setup do they require?

Thanks,

David
Old 02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After talking to Harrop about mine, I'm under the impression that you can tune them just like any other set-up, just speed density. No other modifacations should be needed.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

The reason I asked, is because of a discussion I was in about ITBs on small block Fords, as used in Cobra replicas. People closer to the action than me indicated that the throttles needed be synchonized like a Weber. A PITA if I recall correctly.

However, this has never been mentioned in LSx ITB discussions. My guess is that they are just miss-enformed, and the problem was simple tuning.

This a comment from this page on Webers (http://www.inglese.com/tech.htm) :

A Weber carburetion system will not be right, unless it's synchronized to ensure that each carburetor is doing exactly the same as the next - the name of the game is perfect cylinder tuning. The synchronization procedure can either be a breeze or a nightmare, depending on whether you have a well-designed linkage system or not. The secret to a good linkage setup is that it must allow independent adjustment of each carburetor without affecting all the rest as you go through the procedure. Here again, if someone tells you they're absolutely impossible to synchronize, you might study his linkage. Chances are, it's incorrect and he's fighting himself. The right components are now available to take this out of the dark ages.
David
Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

With a $3k intake, I would hope all the linkages are properly adjusted and all open to the same place. It would suck to get a intake like that and all the blades opened to a diffrent location. I believe the quality of the Harrop or many of the other brands, like Kinsler/Katech use very top quality parts and have a process were they check to make sure things are aligned properly. When mine comes in, I'll deffinatlly check it. Remember, your only checking for the blades being proprtional on these intakes. No gas to adjust, thank goodness.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely all that might be needed is a feeler gauge check for idle stop throttle blade clearances and verification that both banks commence opening together.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Beast, are people using map sensors with these or are they going to alpha n? I would think you'd have to go alpha n as there is no common plenum, unless ofcourse you just stick the map sensor underneath one of the throttle bodies in one of the runners and assume all runners are the same but I don't think that would work. Maybe i'm wrong though???
Old 02-20-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

The intake uses all the stock sensors. It looks like it has a "tube" type passage that runs down the center of the intake where it can refrence all the cylinders. The IAC also reads off of the tube.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Teching In

You guys probobly already know about this gizmo but i bought this air gauge thing to syncronize some ITB's that i had to take apart, i'm guessing that the Harrop is all ready set up/adjusted ?

The Harrop ITB's sure do look a very good peice of kit, shame it's so expensive

http://www.racetep.com/weberX.html#websynch

HTH

Andrew
Old 02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool deal, thanks Beast!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V8Touring
You guys probobly already know about this gizmo but i bought this air gauge thing to syncronize some ITB's that i had to take apart, i'm guessing that the Harrop is all ready set up/adjusted ?

The Harrop ITB's sure do look a very good peice of kit, shame it's so expensive

http://www.racetep.com/weberX.html#websynch

HTH

Andrew
This is where I'm confused. I thought those sync tools are to set the idle on a multi-throat weber setup. Where the idle is also the low speed circuit.

On an EFI ITB, the IAC should handle the idle, and the linkage should be sync'd for part throttle operation.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

David, have a read of this link for the recomended set up of some BMW M5/3 ITB's, this obviously isn't LSx related but it might be use full info ??

http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/throttle.htm

Quick Reply: Question About Tuning ITB Manifolds