Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mikronite gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the Pro-Stock guys one could find a tractor pulling forum and ask them. Typically those gents are on top of this type of technology do to the stress on their drivetrain parts. I do know that several years ago Warren Johnson was here in Montgomery and after speaking with him I found out he was a FIRM believe in the Cryo process and that sold me. I wonder if he has had any of his parts treated with this new process. I may try this new process on a set of gears and axles is possible.

Jim C.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed Crane Cams has an ad out for Mikronited valve train components. It explains that the process is similar to shot peening that increases the surface density of the metal which inturn strengthens the part and gives it a polished finish that reduces friction on things like ring & pinions. It also says they'll Mikronite any non-competing product that you send in.

I could see this being beneficial on many engine / drivetrain components. A crankshaft being one, stronger, better windage and oil shedding. I wonder if there are limitations to the size of parts?

Quick Reply: Mikronite gears