Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Anyone Entering the Engine Masters Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the canted valve heads are not that much more, at least on a Ford. In addition to the Cleveland (old tech) and Yates (expensive), there are Jeg/Kaase, CHI, and AFD. All Windsor compatible. While you can't get the cheapest shafts on the canted valve stuff, you can get shafts from Jesel and T&D for only $200-300 more.

It is just had to look in the mirror and say a 23deg or 20deg inline valve head is the way to go. They still make parts for flatheads...and Hondas.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Actually, the canted valve heads are not that much more, at least on a Ford. In addition to the Cleveland (old tech) and Yates (expensive), there are Jeg/Kaase, CHI, and AFD. All Windsor compatible. While you can't get the cheapest shafts on the canted valve stuff, you can get shafts from Jesel and T&D for only $200-300 more.

It is just had to look in the mirror and say a 23deg or 20deg inline valve head is the way to go. They still make parts for flatheads...and Hondas.
Most of those canted valve heads aren't that good for what you are doing. Try the 10 degree head from CFE if you want something crazy but they are overkill too. The Cleveland heads are awful but do flow a lot. The people that do well with them do major work on them and it is not cost effective.

There's about to be a whole bunch of low angle inline heads for Ford coming out here soon. You can make anything work but the dollar to HP ratio may be pretty horrific! The shaft rockers on most canted valves are a nightmare and are still usually multiple stands and such or if you change anything they will not work. You've got to be able to shim the stands independently usually on most canted valve stuff or your geometry is locked at some place and valve tip length.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Why do you even need shaft mounts here? RPM? Spring Pressure? What?

The CHI and Blue Thunder Cleveland heads are pretty nasty to start with. They fixed the problems with the Cleveland heads from the start.

Bret
Old 03-17-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

I would probably run 250# on the seat with about a 500#/in spring. So something like 575-625# open. To me, that says girdle or shaft, and my hands have way too many cuts and scrapes from girdles. I can tear apart a front suspension and replace it with fewer cuts than lashing the valves. Besides, I'm not a fan of guideplates either.

Never heard of the CFEs. They also have a canted valve setup and can CNC it to use in a variety of applications. An assembled head will run close to or equal a Yates head, and it needs maybe $2k in custom intake manifold preparation. Very nice though.

All I want is something that flows well over a broader range. And has a state of the art intake velocity, turbulance, combustion configuration. Fit off the self BBC or Cleveland shaft rockers. Low valve angles for minimum piston valve reliefs. For say $2500-3000 assembled with Ferrea Comp Plus valves with 5/16 stems (weight and flow), Ti retainers, and 2" installed height 225-250# seat Isky/PSI, Manley Nextek, or Comp spring in the $300/set range.

And how about versions for LS1, SBC, and SBF?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably run 250# on the seat with about a 500#/in spring. So something like 575-625# open. To me, that says girdle or shaft, and my hands have way too many cuts and scrapes from girdles. I can tear apart a front suspension and replace it with fewer cuts than lashing the valves. Besides, I'm not a fan of guideplates either.

Never heard of the CFEs. They also have a canted valve setup and can CNC it to use in a variety of applications. An assembled head will run close to or equal a Yates head, and it needs maybe $2k in custom intake manifold preparation. Very nice though.

All I want is something that flows well over a broader range. And has a state of the art intake velocity, turbulance, combustion configuration. Fit off the self BBC or Cleveland shaft rockers. Low valve angles for minimum piston valve reliefs. For say $2500-3000 assembled with Ferrea Comp Plus valves with 5/16 stems (weight and flow), Ti retainers, and 2" installed height 225-250# seat Isky/PSI, Manley Nextek, or Comp spring in the $300/set range.

And how about versions for LS1, SBC, and SBF?

Well take a look at those CFE heads cause they seem to be some very nasty pieces.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2482

That's a big drag motor and all but damn!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, that is a strong puppy. And they can size it for a smaller engine. And with canted valves. However, at around $8-10k for heads and intake that is a pricey solution!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

David,

To me sounds like too much spring. I would back off the pressure and run a tamer lobe than that. I do agree that you would be better off with a shaft, but with the focus on lighter valvetrain parts you aren't going to need more than 200# on the seat and your still going to be around mid 500's open then.

I'm starting a Cleveland build now that's going to use the CHI heads. The 258cc heads are on par with the smaller Blue Thunder castings. Either one of those heads would fit the bill for what you are looking at.

If this is for your Ultima project then maybe even a 8.2 block, 347 (4.125 x 3.25) motor would fit the bill well. The CHI stuff even comes setup for the BOSS conversion to put the Cleveland heads on a Windsor block. The smaller versions of those heads would work really well on something that size and be capable of mid 600 hp NA in a small light package with a low center of gravity. Not to mention they have intakes setup for this combo as well, and it wouldn't take too much to make them a EFI intake.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 03-18-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Wow!!!!
I have not tuned in for a few weeks. Nice to see everybody is getting along.
You guys are racing calculators again. Never saw a Dyno or a calculator go down the track.

Bret, Are you coming down for the Atco race at the end of the month? Looking to go for the C/FIA record to go with our B record. Send me an e-mail Richscaz@hotmail.com

Some of you guys guys would be humbled with what can be done with stock parts, no head porting, and factory valve lift.

Rich
Old 03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

"Stock parts, no head porting, and factory valve lift" --Sounds like a street stock motor. Fine assembly, great valve seats, and cheater cams.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
David,

To me sounds like too much spring. I would back off the pressure and run a tamer lobe than that. I do agree that you would be better off with a shaft, but with the focus on lighter valvetrain parts you aren't going to need more than 200# on the seat and your still going to be around mid 500's open then.

I'm starting a Cleveland build now that's going to use the CHI heads. The 258cc heads are on par with the smaller Blue Thunder castings. Either one of those heads would fit the bill for what you are looking at.

If this is for your Ultima project then maybe even a 8.2 block, 347 (4.125 x 3.25) motor would fit the bill well. The CHI stuff even comes setup for the BOSS conversion to put the Cleveland heads on a Windsor block. The smaller versions of those heads would work really well on something that size and be capable of mid 600 hp NA in a small light package with a low center of gravity. Not to mention they have intakes setup for this combo as well, and it wouldn't take too much to make them a EFI intake.

Bret
Someone else (with a bigger budget) was the Ultima. I am planning a 4.03x3.25 (final stroke TBD) with light rotating assembly. The main heads being considered are Trick Flow CNC and the CHI 185 3V. Looking at the chamber and the flow numbers, is the as cast CHI better than the Trick Flow? A CNC version doesn't seem to be readiliy available and the two are comparably priced. The Trick Flow has the option of a taller manifold.

The more aggressive cam allows a shorted time off the seat for a given area under the curve. There are only a few solid roller grinds that are small enough, and even the XE Street Rollers are fairly aggressive. For example the XE Street Rollers are rated at .015. From .020 they are within a wisker of a TK grind. The seat/.050/.200/lift numbers are 274/236/159/.376 for the XE, and 262/234/160/.410 for the TK. At .020 the XE would have been 268-269 on the seat.

Would the XE have an advantage in either low speed or high speed performance?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

David
It is called Stock Eliminator. Cam can be any duration but cannot exceed stock lift. Have you ever seen a lobe that is almost square? 10.30's at 3250 lbs.with an LS or an LT.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Hydraulic or roller? I imagine that cam throws the valve like a juggler.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Hydraulic roller. I gave up the trick to making the lifters work a few months back on another thread but yes the trick is to control the lofting of the valve and not break everthing. We have put the pushrods through the rockers when things are not right.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

We had to use stamped rockers in the early 90's. With Comp Tight Lash I put a pushrod through the rocker. It was the beginning of my V-8 education.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

So you have been there. We still have to use the factory rockers.

Scaz
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ill be entering this coming (2011) year. ive been going to school at UNOH for 3 years now and ill be graduating in december. a few of my friends have been chosen to help out with the EMC in the past years, so they will be helping me. im not really going to divludge much, but it will be a 370 with a 4150 style intake and TB setup. and a good set of LS3 style heads...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
ill be entering this coming (2011) year. ive been going to school at UNOH for 3 years now and ill be graduating in december. a few of my friends have been chosen to help out with the EMC in the past years, so they will be helping me. im not really going to divludge much, but it will be a 370 with a 4150 style intake and TB setup. and a good set of LS3 style heads...
Good to see some LSx stuff in there GOOD LUCK and don't forget to tighten your oil pump screws lol

Quick Reply: Anyone Entering the Engine Masters Challenge?