Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

How do YOU explain "area under the curve" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

If you make 800hp at 16000rpm or 800hp at 8000rpm, it's still 800hp. Double the gear ratio on the high revving motor and theoretically it will accelerate the exact same way.

Most of the 600cc bikes dont make more than 45ft-lbs, but they make 110-120hp, and outrun every harley making 90ft-lbs and 90hp.

Calculating acceleration/performance in a straight line is NOT complicated, if you understand basic physics, algebra, geometery, and calculus. =)

Acceleration is a function of torque translated into force AT THE WHEELS, not at the motor. 80ft-lbs w/ a final drive ratio of 12:1 yields the same instantaneous force/acceleration as 320ft-lbs w/ a final drive ratio of 3:1.
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:30 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Originally Posted by Patrick G
One of the best ways to maximize the area under the curve is by utilizing parts that compliment each other. Too often, racers on this board design their motors without regard to all of the pieces of the puzzle, most notably, the intake manifold. The great thing about the LSX intake is that it gives a nice broad power and torque curve. The downside is that the runner length of the LS1/LS6/FAST and port cross sectional area tend to force a torque peak around 4800 rpm and a power peak around 6300 rpm.

The intake valve closing point is the biggest determiner as to where the motor makes peak power, but the intake manifold will always try to force the 6300 rpm power peak. Sure you can force a later power peak by closing the intake valve later, but experience has shown that the gains up high will not offset the losses in the mid-range. Basically the area under the curve gets worse.

For a stock displacement 346, there are diminishing returns in power once you exceed an intake valve closing point of 46 degrees ABDC at .050" when running an LSX intake manifold. General Motors knows this better than anyone. Just look at their factory race cams:

ASA Cam: 226/236 110LSA (IVC of 43 degrees ABDC)
Grand Cup Cam: 239/251 106LSA (IVC of 45.5 degrees ABDC)

These cams make excellent power under the curve. Why? Because they pump up dynamic compression and close the intake valve within the window that the LSX intake manifold likes.

There are many cams that make good peak power, but are pretty weak in the low and mid range. Almost without exception, they are large duration cams with wide LSAs.

Take this cam for example: 237/242 113LSA +0. This is a popular cam that is known for making good peak numbers, but what is left out is how weak the area under the curve is. Why? Because the intake valve closing point is 52.5 degrees. That's more than 6 degrees past what the LSX intake manifold is tuned for. The small gains up top are not worth the large losses down low. The dynamic compression is a cam-only arrangement is below 8:1. Not good!

So in a nutshell, when running an LSX manifold, we need to keep our valve events in line with the rpm range the intake manifold was designed for if we are interested in maximizing the area under the curve. GM knows this and many on this board know this. Sadly, many of our sponsors are promoting cams to the street/strip crowd that are poor candidates for maximizing the torque curve.
VERY, VERY well said...
Old 04-24-2006 | 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
What would the TQ/HP curves look like for a 1000HP Supra and a 1000HP LS1...?

Which one would you rather have...?

Having a large area under the torque curve makes for a very responsive street car (95% of time spent below 4000RPM).
They are pretty tame, and close to stock, until I figure 6000rpm or so, when the car feels like it got hit from behind by a C5 Galaxy going 200mph.

I couldn't care less, the Supra would be built to where anytime you touched the gas pedal, RPMs went right to 6000rpm and you had as much, if not more, power than the other car at lower RPMs. So either or, so long as the Supra is built to take advanatge of its own power curve.

A Supra will be just as responsive, if both are using turbochargers at least, just the Supra will need to be higher up in the RPMs. But this isn't a problem, as your converter has already spiked you rigth to that, or if you're in a stick, click down a gear or 2. As for below 6000rpm, it's rather useless. Why not rev the motor? If DCRs are low and your oiling system is sufficient, the only adverse affect of the revving is noise, and that can be taken care of via muffler. Or another turbo
Old 04-24-2006 | 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a stock displacement 346, there are diminishing returns in power once you exceed an intake valve closing point of 46 degrees ABDC at .050" when running an LSX intake manifold. General Motors knows this better than anyone. Just look at their factory race cams:

ASA Cam: 226/236 110LSA (IVC of 43 degrees ABDC)
Grand Cup Cam: 239/251 106LSA (IVC of 45.5 degrees ABDC)

These cams make excellent power under the curve. Why? Because they pump up dynamic compression and close the intake valve within the window that the LSX intake manifold likes.

Patrick, Everything you stated so far makes verygood sense. But can you explain why these GM racing cams have LOTS of exhaust duration? ASA and Grand Cup cars run open exhaust. It seems you would need less exhaust duration with open exhaust

Also, wouldn't the early opening exhaust timing hurt torque output?
Old 04-25-2006 | 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

For a dual-purpose street/strip car, a good benchmark is for the car to be putting down its cubic inch displacement in torque by 3000 rpm and make at least 1.25X its displacement in peak torque.

For a stock displacement LS1, that would mean 346 rwtq by 3000 rpm and a torque peak of 433 rwtq.

Similarly, a 408 would make 408 rwtq by 3000 rpm and 510 rwtq at its peak. Sadly, too many motors on this board (intended for dual-purpose) don't come anywhere close to these mid-range torque numbers and as a result, make poor area under the curve.
So does the 1.25x number take into acount drive train loss? It would seem it does or is that being over looked?
Old 04-25-2006 | 08:48 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by gollum
Patrick, Everything you stated so far makes verygood sense. But can you explain why these GM racing cams have LOTS of exhaust duration? ASA and Grand Cup cars run open exhaust. It seems you would need less exhaust duration with open exhaust

Also, wouldn't the early opening exhaust timing hurt torque output?
The GM cars run lots of duration because this puts the overlap more toward the intake side of TDC which will allow the motors to rev well past peak hp.

When you narrow the LSA, it opens the exhaust valve later, which is one of the reasons the GM cams make excellent mid-range torque. Basically, if you run more exhaust duration, it typically means you open the exhaust valve earlier and close it later, but when you narrow the LSA, you can offset that earlier EVO by opening it slightly later, balancing everything out.
Old 04-25-2006 | 08:51 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
So does the 1.25x number take into acount drive train loss? It would seem it does or is that being over looked?
Yes, this is a rear wheel torque factor. Drivetrain losses are included. While it's difficult to increase torque much over 1.25x CID (in naturally aspirated form), hp is purely a function of rpm and you'll see 2,3 even 4x CID in extreme applications (think F1).
Old 04-25-2006 | 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
Calculus
and integrals
Old 04-25-2006 | 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The GM cars run lots of duration because this puts the overlap more toward the intake side of TDC which will allow the motors to rev well past peak hp.

When you narrow the LSA, it opens the exhaust valve later, which is one of the reasons the GM cams make excellent mid-range torque. Basically, if you run more exhaust duration, it typically means you open the exhaust valve earlier and close it later, but when you narrow the LSA, you can offset that earlier EVO by opening it slightly later, balancing everything out.
So wouldn't a higher lift (LSK lobe) ASA style cam be a better choice for your current street combination than your new LSK 224/228 110 cam?
Old 04-25-2006 | 10:22 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by gollum
So wouldn't a higher lift (LSK lobe) ASA style cam be a better choice for your current street combination than your new LSK 224/228 110 cam?
Perhaps, but I've been down the big cam road a number of times and it grinds on my nerves in a daily driver. I go through 4 school zones every morning and plenty of long-distance business trips. I prefer the calmer, torquier nature of my current cam to anything else I've run...including the CheaTR cam.
Old 04-25-2006 | 10:00 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Patrick, from what you've said about the LSx intake, I think I'm gonna be just fine with my getup once it's finished... not looking to make a F1 LS1, here.

And thanks for giving me a goal to shoot for on power output... 433 ft-lbs is almost unheard of N/A.
Old 04-29-2006 | 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Previous quote, "Calculating acceleration/performance in a straight line is NOT complicated, if you understand basic physics, algebra, geometery, and calculus. =)"

Or, for us mentally challenged gear heads, for maximum ecceleration, just pick the MPH range that you want your best performance to occur, then gear so that your engine's RPM range occurs within your HP's best "area under the curve" for each gear. We will be just as quick, quicker.
Old 05-05-2006 | 09:36 AM
Teching In

Default Area under the curve - LS1 vs GTR

Originally Posted by joecar
What would the TQ/HP curves look like for a 1000HP Supra and a 1000HP LS1...?

Which one would you rather have...?

Having a large area under the torque curve makes for a very responsive street car (95% of time spent below 4000RPM).
Something close:
Old 05-05-2006 | 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I read that correctly, it shows that the 489 HP LS1 has a greater area under curve
(integ = 36910.9 vs 31039.5) and a greater average power (394.3 vs 315.1).

And the 664 HP R32 GTR makes more power starting from 158 km/h and up
(i.e. corresponding to a higher RPM) in that gear.

(Skylines are about the only rice I like).
Old 05-05-2006 | 09:02 PM
Banned

But as we've been saying, area under the curve over the entire RPM spread has no affect on the car's performance--that's waht gears are for. Now take a 3000rpm cut from both graphs, and see which one's area is higher.
Old 05-05-2006 | 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
But as we've been saying, area under the curve over the entire RPM spread has no affect on the car's performance--that's waht gears are for. Now take a 3000rpm cut from both graphs, and see which one's area is higher.
On the street, do you take a cut down low or up high...?
Old 05-10-2006 | 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Is 1.25x CID really an obtainable goal? I don't think a stock motor would be anywhere near this.
Old 05-10-2006 | 12:21 PM

1.25*346 = 432.5 as stated. If you look, Patrick is stating that a properly engineered system should make 1.25x cid at peak tq. No, a stock motor won't do that.
Old 05-10-2006 | 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

I meant stock bottom end. Could a stock cube H/C car handle it?
Old 05-10-2006 | 01:24 PM

Absolutely. Its already been done. There are stock bottom end cars that have made as much as 450 I think the most we made in Tommy's cars on Lg's dyno was around 450 tq.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52425

Dyno sheet
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~lgigliot/LGM/small503.jpg

We went to a different cam, and cut some bottom end off the car and have made 503RWHP/430 open cutouts, and no belt on MTI's dyno..

In street trim its at 487/422.5 on MTI's dyno.

Quick Reply: How do YOU explain "area under the curve" ?