Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

How to make torque at higher RPM...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that every said of constraints creates its own limits. Engine size, engine speed, forces on the reciprocating assembly, stabilty of the valvetrain, engine breathing, etc. Something is the limiting factor.

Given that engine size is limited by rules, one of the others comes into play.

It seems like engine speed is a good one. Easy to maintain (similar to a transponder it seems), limits durability issues, limits power. Maybe we will see more of that.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be cool to see what engine combinations the teams came up with if engine speed or piston speed was limited instead of displacement.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
It seems that every said of constraints creates its own limits. Engine size, engine speed, forces on the reciprocating assembly, stabilty of the valvetrain, engine breathing, etc. Something is the limiting factor.

It seems like engine speed is a good one. Easy to maintain (similar to a transponder it seems), limits durability issues, limits power. Maybe we will see more of that.
...limits inovation and technological development, limits competition, doesn't limit money spent however.

There's no free lunch, and the combatants are smarter than the rules makers. Mother Nature is the real challenge. She has unbreakable, self-enforcing rules. NASCAR, NHRA and FIA are very jealous of her.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P Mack
That would be cool to see what engine combinations the teams came up with if engine speed or piston speed was limited instead of displacement.
If you limit displacement, bore size and rpm (NASCAR Cup) you have just limited piston speed at least for the "biggest bore allowed" crowd.

If mean piston speed were limited to 5200 ft/min., about where it is now for Cup gear rule tracks, I'd wager a significant amount that bore/stroke sizes wouldn't change, unless the bore could be enlarged.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
...limits inovation and technological development, limits competition, doesn't limit money spent however.

There's no free lunch, and the combatants are smarter than the rules makers. Mother Nature is the real challenge. She has unbreakable, self-enforcing rules. NASCAR, NHRA and FIA are very jealous of her.
When money is dependent on winning, large amounts will be spent.

How are Hooter's Cup engines for cost of operation? I understand they have a size, bore, speed, and valve lift limit. Or ASA, which I believe requires crate motors? Or SCCA Spec Racer, which requires a crate motor purchased from and sealed by SCCA Enterprises?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Larger stroke also make more power than shorter stroke everytime all else equal. That's what I am saying and Old SStroker seems to not be able to agree with.

Destroking makes no power at all but rather loses power.

Big bores can make more power than smaller bores since you can have bigger ports.

Destroking is only done since the displacement must remain constant otherwise you could make even MORE POWER if you could keep the stroke the same or increase stroke even further.

I only say this because some people in these threads are under the illusion that destroking does something positive to the engine.

Some people are also confused by the prevalence of certain strokes in the catalogues.

I was asked three times on this board and in PMs why no one makes destroker cranks for the LS1. I can only shake my head.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reminder. Erik, meet joecar.

Yep, larger displacement engines can make more power if you do it right. No argument there.

I look at high piston speed as an enemy, not as a friend. Perhaps we differ there, EK.

With half the rpm wouldn't you need to make twice the torque to get the same power?

Are not mandated bore limits for a given displacement put there because with larger bores for a given displacement, the racers shorten the stroke so they can twist it higher and keep the inertia loads in check and not lose so much hp to ring friction? So why not just limit displacement and max stroke if stroke is where more power comes from?

Bore (or stroke) limits are often instituted when one group of guys make more power and/or rpm because their engine allows a larger dimension. eg. Chrysler's Cup block allowed 4.200 or so bores and made more power, but the other guy's blocks wouldn't allow that much bore, so 4.185 was the new max. allowed. You could run a 3.77 bore in a Cup engine with a 4.00 stroke and it would fit in all the blocks and NASCAR wouldn't say anything against it. You might have to notch the bores for the valves, of course. My guess is that it wouldn't be much of a threat for the pole, either.

With a displacement limit and a bore limit, you don't have to limit stroke; it's self limiting.

Wild guess here: 500 cubic inch NHRA maximum would be exceeded as stroke got much over 3.60 with the 4.700 bore.

791-815 cubes vs. 500 can make lots of torque if you do it right. You should be able to make lots more power with the larger engine, but not run into the huge inertia loads which are proportional to the square of the rpm but proportional only to the first power of the stroke. NHRA PS engines are horribly expensive, partly because the do run such high rpm for the size of the engine.

Let's see, maybe they want all the cubes the rules allow using the biggest bores they can.

Some of the F1 engine guys weren't real happy with the 98 mm max bore limit on the V8s. They had room for more bore spacing than the V10s had and still have a shorter engine. (Perhaps) they were looking at larger bores, shorter strokes, more rpm and more specific output, and Max Mosley got wind of that testing.

It's the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality in F1 and Cup. How boring (pun intended). The all run very similar bores and strokes. No inovation anymore.

Don't ask if you don't want my opinion.
Yeah I didn't see his post as I was still further up.

What you aren't seeing is that in your posts you are implying that there is something positive about destroking an engine when in reality the only positive thing is the bigger bore.

The bigger stroke engines turn LOWER rpm than the short stroke engines so they do not have the reliability problems in general that their short stroke higher rpm cousins do. You are often implying in your logic that both engines would be run at the same rpms and they would not.

If stroke wasn't actually helping engines but rather hurting them than they wouldn't limit the displacement either as any displacement gained by stroke alone must be hurting the engine according to most of your logic?

OR.... admit that the bigger bores make power because of the breathing they allow and destroking only hurts the engine but less than the bigger bore is helping it.

At a certain point the bore becomes too big again and teh stroke too short with a fixed displacement anyway and starts killing power because of the weight of the piston and bad cylinder seal and totally ridiculous bottom end loads brought on by low piston speed and super high rpm. Imagine a 5 inch bore and a .5 inch stroke if that's what it takes.

Big bore and short stroke is NOT an endless treasure trove of even hp/inch. At some point it starts even hurting rpm potential and power itself.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer7088
Yeah I didn't see his post as I was still further up.

What you aren't seeing is that in your posts you are implying that there is something positive about destroking an engine when in reality the only positive thing is the bigger bore.

The bigger stroke engines turn LOWER rpm than the short stroke engines so they do not have the reliability problems in general that their short stroke higher rpm cousins do. You are often implying in your logic that both engines would be run at the same rpms and they would not.

If stroke wasn't actually helping engines but rather hurting them than they wouldn't limit the displacement either as any displacement gained by stroke alone must be hurting the engine according to most of your logic?

OR.... admit that the bigger bores make power because of the breathing they allow and destroking only hurts the engine but less than the bigger bore is helping it.

At a certain point the bore becomes too big again and teh stroke too short with a fixed displacement anyway and starts killing power because of the weight of the piston and bad cylinder seal and totally ridiculous bottom end loads brought on by low piston speed and super high rpm. Imagine a 5 inch bore and a .5 inch stroke if that's what it takes.

Big bore and short stroke is NOT an endless treasure trove of even hp/inch. At some point it starts even hurting rpm potential and power itself.
I'm imagining a .5 inch bore with a 5 inch stroke....but the mind wanders.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

As long as you can provide air for it, the increase in displacement should help as long as it is within the current range of engines: bore from 2.5 to 4.5-5.0. stroke from 2 to 5, bore/stroke ratios of .75 to 2, rod/stroke ratios of 1.2 or so to 2.5 or so.

Beyond that you may run into problems with the combustion efficency dropping off, excessive side loads on the pistons, etc.

Finally, few engines don't have some packaging issue. The size and weight constraint then takes hold. We don't see that much in racing since most (all?) classes now have significnat engine rules. The last time I remember it was in the 1960's CanAm series. However, at that time fabrication costs were higher and some combustion design and control technology didn't exist.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

You're right Old SStroker that if you go too far either way you end up in lala land. It's a curve though with the bore stroke thing not just one way or the other and the curve changes depending on what you are after out of the engine.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer7088
You're right Old SStroker that if you go too far either way you end up in lala land. It's a curve though with the bore stroke thing not just one way or the other and the curve changes depending on what you are after out of the engine.
I wasn't thinking about an engine. The mind was wandering to things anatomical that stroke, albeit fairly slowly.

I'm old, but not THAT old!

After all our discussions I considered changing my screen name to Old Bore, but that hits too close to home according to some folks. FWIW, my screen name comes from Stroker McGurk, a favorite character of my youth, and my offspring, 'Ace.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Now, would a 5L that turned 8500rpm be able to match a 6.3L that ran to 6500, yet be more efficient at part throttle, lower speed (say 2500rpm) operation? Admittedly, it wouldn't be any lighter unless it was designed that way from scratch, which none of our domestic OHV V8s are.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now, would a 5L that turned 8500rpm be able to match a 6.3L that ran to 6500, yet be more efficient at part throttle, lower speed (say 2500rpm) operation? Admittedly, it wouldn't be any lighter unless it was designed that way from scratch, which none of our domestic OHV V8s are.
I don't see a 8500 hp peak rpm 5L being very driveable @ 2500, while a 6500 hp peak rpm 6.3 L could be very driveable @ 2500.

If you want to do the calculations, let's assume a BMEP @ power peak of 170 psi for the 8500/5L and 180 psi for the 6500/6.3L because it's easier to make higher BMEP at lower rpm.

Given:

BMEP/150.8 = torque per cubic inch.

HP = torque x rpm/5252

torque = hp x 5252/rpm

1 L = 61 cubic inches (close enough)

Which engine makes more hp? How much?

Which would cost more to build? Why?

You do the math. I'm lazy.

(Show your work)
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually 200lbf-ft from 3k-6k would be the same as 100lbf-ft from 6k to 12k.

That's what I said.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

I wasn't thinking about an engine. The mind was wandering to things anatomical that stroke, albeit fairly slowly.

I'm old, but not THAT old!

After all our discussions I considered changing my screen name to Old Bore, but that hits too close to home according to some folks. FWIW, my screen name comes from Stroker McGurk, a favorite character of my youth, and my offspring, 'Ace.
Damn! I must be too old now as well. I never got that one till you brought it up now. That is too funny!

Old Bore or Old SStroker we will still all love you anyway no matter what your name!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

HP = torque x rpm/5252

torque = hp x 5252/rpm
Reminds me of some kittens I saw the other day.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reminds me of some kittens I saw the other day.
That one went over my head. Of course I usually look for cats under my tires.

So how's the "homework" coming?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old SStroker:

I can see why you want to make more TQ at higher RPMs than lower; because HP = TQ x RPM / 5250 therefore, you will make more total HP making 300 lb/ft from 4000-7000 RPM than from making 300 lb/ft from 2000-5000 RPM. But how does it help you take advantage of gearing, like that Reher guy was saying? I'm confused on that part.

And as far as stroke and bore - Let's take a 5L engine. It is better to make a 5L engine with a larger bore and a smaller stroke. The displacement is basically what determines the TQ and a shorter stroke allows for more rotations per minute. If a 5L engine had a smaller bore and a larger stroke, then it would have the same TQ but less RPM because the pistons would have to travel a further distance. Correct?

I'm not saying that stroking an engine is bad though. Stroking an engine increases your TQ by increasing displacement, you would probably lose RPMs a little but it is apparently by not as great amount as you increase your TQ. Otherwise, stroked engines would make less HP, which we all know they make more HP. These are the basics of what I think I undertstand, just checking to see if I am off-base or not. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Louie83
Old SStroker:

I can see why you want to make more TQ at higher RPMs than lower; because HP = TQ x RPM / 5250 therefore, you will make more total HP making 300 lb/ft from 4000-7000 RPM than from making 300 lb/ft from 2000-5000 RPM. But how does it help you take advantage of gearing, like that Reher guy was saying? I'm confused on that part.

And as far as stroke and bore - Let's take a 5L engine. It is better to make a 5L engine with a larger bore and a smaller stroke. The displacement is basically what determines the TQ and a shorter stroke allows for more rotations per minute. If a 5L engine had a smaller bore and a larger stroke, then it would have the same TQ but less RPM because the pistons would have to travel a further distance. Correct?

I'm not saying that stroking an engine is bad though. Stroking an engine increases your TQ by increasing displacement, you would probably lose RPMs a little but it is apparently by not as great amount as you increase your TQ. Otherwise, stroked engines would make less HP, which we all know they make more HP. These are the basics of what I think I undertstand, just checking to see if I am off-base or not. Thanks.
When you make the same tq at higher rpms you also make more power but no more tq.

This in turn allows you to lower you gear ratio in the axle since the engine can now spin higher in rpm up there which also mutlplies your RWTQ even higher which is what accelerates your car faster. Either way F=MA so you need more RWTQ or less mass in the car to go faster.

If I can double the rpm I am making that same TQ at then I can use a gear twice as low so I will now have twice the TQ at the wheels even though my engine tq is the same. Same thing if you have too much RWTQ you can run a taller gear and knock that down.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Louie83
Old SStroker:

Maybe its because (and I'm just throwing this out there) you have more angular momentum of the motor spinning at higher rpm, therefore, when you switch gears, you have that momentum of the motor thrusting you forward, harder, making you faster (or quicker). I can see that, but I'm like you in that I don't quite understand the "take advantage of the gearing". You gear around the motor, not build the motor around the gearing.

Quick Reply: How to make torque at higher RPM...