Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

what are the pros/cons of fly cut pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the pros/cons of fly cut pistons?

what are the pros/cons of fly cut pistons on long rod high rpm engines besides being able to fit a bigger cam in? i would also like to know how flycut pistons effect piston velocity
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point of flycutting pistons is to gain piston to valve clearance on cams with lots of duration and low LSA, i.e. Overlap. That is one of the problems with a LS1 design is that it limits piston to valve clearance with the stock slugs in the motor. Installing aftermarket pistons does the same thing as fly cutting because you have valve reliefs in the tops of the pistons.

The flycutting of the pistons can do three bad things....

1. weakens the piston because the design of the piston wasn't made to have valve reliefs cut into them.

2. if the reliefs are not radiused the sharp edges of the cuts can cause knock due to hot spots.

3. the other bad thing about the reliefs is that they cause the compression ratio to drop since they add volume. Now most times you have a milled cylinder head that has a lower volume in the chamber anyways to cause this so when everything is all teamed up the compression ratio will be higher.

Flycutting does not change the piston velocity, that is all due to RPM, rod length and stroke. It usually does lower the mass of the piston some, that will lower the forces the pin, rod and crank see at the same R and piston g's. (F=ma) Either way it's not going to be a lot and if you really wanted to improve that getting rid of that king kong stock piston pin would help more.

Bret
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed.

One main reason I did not flycut on my car was I was too worried about all the metal shavings. I don't see how you can get all those out.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Agreed.

One main reason I did not flycut on my car was I was too worried about all the metal shavings. I don't see how you can get all those out.
The metal shavings arent really a big deal. If you cover the block with duct tape over all four pistons, the filings dont even find their way into the cylinder. And even if they did, theyre aluminum, and wont scratch the steel bores/liners.

You will likely want to keep your flycut depth between .075 and .100 on a stock piston. For both strength and balance reasons.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

^What about scratching the aluminum pistons?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
^What about scratching the aluminum pistons?
Its the same hardness, so they wont be gouged out. Anyway, the rings are where the seal is.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flycut to of my motors, never have had a problem, i just vacuum out the shavings, the rest is gone, the first time you fire it.

Quick Reply: what are the pros/cons of fly cut pistons?