Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Effects of free-reving an engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Because it's phucking retarded to even do something like this, 'free-revving'?!?
What a stupid thing to do, ...
Like all those stupid motorcyclist who have to sit there & keep revving the engine while at a stop light. For Christ's sake man, let the damn thing idle!
I agree completely! I was just wanting to know the reason behind why it's "so bad", I'm always the one who wants to know "why?" instead of just taking someone's word for it. The other half of why I ask is I've got a friend who just got an '05 GTO, and he gets alot of people asking "rev it up man!", and he'll happily oblige. I've always thought it doesn't sound right when he does it, and I wanted to be able to tell him intelegently, instead of "don't do that man, it's bad..." Oh, and I called it "free-reving" for lack of better words...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I always was taught that free-revving as you guys call it is bad on rod bearings and rods due to the change in both rotational and axial loading on the metals and the bearing surfaces. You have a change in directional loading when the rod is no-loaded after the rev and also in the load on the thrust surface as well since the thrust tends to go forward on the rev, and towards the rear on the decrease in rpm. It's like watching a guy scatter a motor in the burnout box because he wants to wop the throttle eight or ten times thinking the noise will scare his opponent(usually he just gets laughed at) About the sixth whack of the gas the rods come out the bottom because of the negative loading on the bearings, turns a bearing, builds some heat and the rod bolt breaks........... the vicious cycle is repeated countless times in burnouts all around the world!!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Teching In

One of the guys at the shop where I work revs the snot out of cars all the time. It is definitely a bad idea. He still does it even after he's windowed an engine block. He spun a rod bearing and the rod bolts broke. Aparently my boss has more tolerance for "free revving" than an engine does because he still has a job.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WS-6Will
Aparently my boss has more tolerance for "free revving" than an engine does because he still has a job.
it's OK, there were loads of idiots working at the GM shop I worked at for quite a few years......... it's almost as bad as working on aircraft!!!! Scary isn't it?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bygblok
it's OK, there were loads of idiots working at the GM shop I worked at for quite a few years......... it's almost as bad as working on aircraft!!!! Scary isn't it?
man, aint that the truth!

I destroyed 700 hp 350 in my brothers Nova while out pounding it.... i heard/felt "something" break at 6000 RPM but I knew as soon as I let off the fast pedal/hit the clutch that engine was gone... lol Sure enough, as soon as I let out the awfull meatal/explosion/oil coated windshield/ etc. occured... that was the first time I had ever seen a crank actually break... I've had the same happen with U-joints... seems like when you let off or hit the clutch after a heavy load thats when u-joints come apart or twist out
Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so as long as you're giving the motor gas and it's moving/burning air/fuel charge, there should be a combustion pressure to put that compressive force out to counter the inertial force. OldSSStroker, am i wrong?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adnectere
Ok, so as long as you're giving the motor gas and it's moving/burning air/fuel charge, there should be a combustion pressure to put that compressive force out to counter the inertial force. OldSStroker, am i wrong?
Mostly.

A free reving engine is only producing enough power to ovecome internal friction and pumping losses which is maybe 12-15% of the max power it can produce when loaded. So you have 12-15% of the combustion forces "helping" rather than the 100% you'd have with the engine under load.

FWIW you are not "giving the motor gas" with your right foot. You are controlling how much the engine is "throttled" or how much air is let in. If you flat-foot the accelerator pedal, aka the "throttle pedal", the engine will hit the rev limiter with the computer limiting spark and fuel to produce just enough power to maintain the engine speed. Even if you adjust the "throttle pedal" to free rev just below rev limit, there is only a little fuel being injected (or metered by the carb). The engine produces power "on demand" with that demand being the load placed on it by the vehicle or a dyno.

Make sense?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I'm better with that explanation, probably the last sentence about on demand. Never really thought of it that way. I just figured the 2 things in a torque equation would be % throttled (well in my thinking, unthrottled) and rpm and thus would give you power regardless of load. Very interesting...brings me back to a previous post you had to explain. I'll chew on it for a few days. As always, a pleasure.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 PM
dug
Banned

I think most of the wear would be on the valvetrain, like the timing chain and springs. Since I do my own work, I rarely free rev the motor. Dont want to make extra work for myself for no reason.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Because it's phucking retarded to even do something like this, 'free-revving'?!?
What a stupid thing to do, ...
Like all those stupid motorcyclist who have to sit there & keep revving the engine while at a stop light. For Christ's sake man, let the damn thing idle!
Sorry that some people, like myself, would like to know what exactly is going on. I am not arguing the sanity behind the actions, but more knowledge is almost certainly better than less knowledge.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Load reversal is probably why driveshafts snap on a decel, especially if there's slack in the gears. That load reversal also gets into the crankshaft, where before the reversal, the crank was twisted slightly in the torque-making direction, and then when the vacuum is applied to the manifold, via the closed throttle, the crank twists slightly in the torque-recieving direction, via inertia of the drivetrain that's still connected to the crank. Reversing stresses will break components faster than just constant forces.

The rods (and bolts) probably see a lot of stress when vacuum is applied. Stress in the stretching direction. During compression and exhaust with load, there's plenty of pressure to help avoid too much stress in the stretching direction, and the intake stroke is only pulling on near atmospheric resistance. But, when sucking on a closed throttle, it'll apply quite a bit more force to the piston (think surface area and pressure = force), in the stretch direction, compounded with the stress of high RPM.

Other people float a valve, and smack pistons.

Probably just repeated what half the posts say, sorry.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 AM
dug
Banned

youre right about the vacuum part during high rpms with closed throttle. However that happens everytime you shift when racing.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting thread!!

Myself, I like to understand the "why's" and the physics of what's going on, not just feel it in my pants.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
youre right about the vacuum part during high rpms with closed throttle. However that happens everytime you shift when racing.
Only if you lift!

Actually a slight partial lift is probably preferred for drivetrain life, but all you are really doing is a slight torque management to unload the gears. A .1 second or less spark retard would probably be effective.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

high oil pressure, pushrod will either bend or fly through the hood... trust me i've seen both and did one- the one was by missed shift though and it resulted in free revving.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I asked a mechanic at an Indy car race why they did it. He said he really didn't know! He thought it was a left over from the carburated day's.

Quick Reply: Effects of free-reving an engine