Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can cryo and mikrontie. I just did some of my trans parts.

and mikrontie has been around for a long time! no longer a well kept secret! damnit cost is rising as well! oh well.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that a10 bolt is not as strong as a 9inch or 12 bolt,but ive seen many A4 run in the 10's in a stock 10 bolt.Do guys think putting in micronite gears is worth it in a 10 bolt?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this be benificial for a cam...or is it mainly for ring and pinions?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An awesome polish that gets the cam crazy smooth could help, probably not near enough to justify it.

Cryogenically treating the block, pistons, rods, etc. would actually be pretty badass.

The polishing techniques just reduce the amount of abnormalities along the surface planes, this is great when the variance among it to be realllly small. Considerably less friction, thus less heat.

Cryo is a different process, it's stress relief and strengthening.
Supercool the material in LN02 or whatnot, slooooooowly bring it back up to temp, slightly heat treat it enough just a tad, repeat a few times, and you'll have a very very strong product, that'll wear phenominally slow.

Last edited by OKcruising; 02-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Would this be benificial for a cam...or is it mainly for ring and pinions?
Are you refering to the cryo process? Because I was wondering the same thing... especially on a high lift solid grind...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-man930
Are you refering to the cryo process? Because I was wondering the same thing... especially on a high lift solid grind...
Yes it does increase the strength on your camshafts. If it is a solid or hyd flat tappet core that is a cast material the strength goes up 97%. If it is a solid or hyd roller cam the alloy steel will increase strength by 131%. These strength factors are with a 24 hr. soak time at -300* below zero. You would want to check into how long the company, you are planning on useing, has the soak time. It would be more beneficial to have a 32 hr. soak time. http://www.cryogenictechnologies.com/

The micronite process does increase strength as well. It surface hardens the material deeper than regular shot peening when looking at compressive stress. They do this by useing specific ceramic media for the application. http://www.wpctreatment.com/technical2.htm
Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Launching!

So, if you treat your hydraulic flat tappet cam to cyro and mirconite, do you then have to treat all of your flat tappet lifters to it as well? It seems like you would be tearing up lifters due to the increased hardness of the cams.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, the lifter's are already a harder material than the cam. But If you decide to cryo the lifter you have to dis-assemble them. When you cryo a spring it has to be done in a unsprung state, b/c when it stress relieves the part it will take all of the spring tension out of it if it is left under tension. So far I have had zero failures with my cryo'd cams without cryoing the lifters.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here's a question for ya. What material is your typical main bearing made from... follow?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

What brand? What series?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I don't know... I'm just wondering if you could postpone bearing failure by making the bearings stronger/more wear resistant.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go back to the link for the WPC treatment you will find examples on the micronite process on them. They also have a list of other components that they have treated as well. I have no idea how much the cryo process would gain you in terms of strength.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking about getting my new gears Mikronite, but it cost $250 On the other hand, it looks like REM is $100 at Perf. Metal and $125 at HRP. Can anybody see spending that much more for Mikronite over REM?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have used REM and also Micronite treatment in my prevous race car. Still have both transmssions. I have a Tremec 600 that has the REM process. I also have a Tremec 500 Trans that had the Micronite treatment.

The REM is a chemical polish much like an acid of some kind. The micronte is a fine abrasive that uses walnut shells as a vehicle in the process.

I don't like the REM. It seems to reduce the sizing of the components. The Tremec 600 seems "sloppy" when bench test it.
The Micronite treated 500 isn't te same.

I also had the ring and pinion treated in the same car. I truly think that that it's worth a few horsepower.

I have asked several respected racers their thoughts about cryo. They all agree that it makes a part last longer. As far as strength it does nothing in their testing. For wearing parts, rotors, clutch parts etc. it extends the life but does nothing to add strength.

Just a few of my thoughts.

OBTW, all my Micronte was done by Liberty Gears in Michigan.

I am having my trans for my Nova treated there also.

Robin
Old 02-19-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want to mislead any one here, maybe I misunderstood what told.

DEEP CRYOGENIC TEMPERING

Deep Cryogenic Tempering will improve the performance and increase the life of your metal tools and parts. Our unique process will take metals beyond deep-freeze to cryogenic temperatures. This dramatically improves the performance of particular types of metal tooling and equipment.

• The micro structure is changed. Austenite, a soft carbon present in most metals, is transformed into Martensite, a harder form of carbon.

• During the process small complex carbides called, “ETA” carbides, are formed. These carbides form from the alloy elements that are present in the steel. The carbides create a more coherent crystalline structure resulting in increased wear resistance of the metal.

• Random residual compressive and tensile stresses that have resulted from heat treating or machining are reduced. These random stresses are diminished by the changes in micro structure and from the uniform expansion and contraction created by thermomechanical cycling.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1997bird
If you go back to the link for the WPC treatment you will find examples on the micronite process on them. They also have a list of other components that they have treated as well. I have no idea how much the cryo process would gain you in terms of strength.
When I looked at the WPC website I didn't find anything about Mikronite, it was about Micro-rite! That definitely isn't Mikronite. Go to www.mikronite.com and look at the animation of the process. The two processes are different!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robin L
OBTW, all my Micronte was done by Liberty Gears in Michigan.
Thanks, I didn't know they did it there.

Quick Reply: Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?