Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yak
basically in the end with a bunch of ME's we ended up making 95hp through a 600cc motor through a 20mm restrictor
HA...I made 98 HP 2 years ago (we run a CBR-600 F4i)...I'm one of the FSAE advisors now, what an awesome program (if the kids on the team care about it).

Just to add to what everyone else is saying. I teach a LOT of ME students now and after the 2nd or 3rd day of each term I can tell which students are in the wrong major and which ones it just comes naturally to. That is not always the same as which ones do well and which ones don't...sometimes the kids who don't just "get it" work the hardest and eventually figure it out anyways.

I'll add that I already said I feel the ME degree is the best, but I don't feel an EE degree is a bad choice. The way a lot of us see it at WPI, an EE can do almost anything an ME can do, and an ME can do almost anything an EE can do...I agree that every ME should take some of the EE classes and vice versa...and I know that at a place like WPI, you can take any class you want in any major you want...you just have to make sure you sign up for it before the class list fills, there's no "permission" to take a class because you chose a different major.

Anybody looking to hire an ME/MFE (manufacturing) double major who also runs the machine shop (11 Haas CNC's and a few old manual machines), I can work with almost any CAD program you throw at me, and I can also run almost any CAM program you throw at me as well...the University thinks I know enough to teach it...but I want more money than they can afford to pay me for it.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
Requardless of whatever degree you have you also have to have a true understanding of physics to a fairly good degree and a lot of common sense. Even engineering schools can not alsways teach you this as Bret says. I know tons of engineers that can not understand even some of the simpler stuff about engines and then I know several that easily understand almost all of it. Mechanical apptitude needs to be high as well as abstract reasoning if you are to ever be a true engine builder. An engineering background though is an excellent start.
It comes down to self-motivation...
a would-be engineer (or anything else for that matter) requires to be self-motivated to achieve what he/she is aiming for; engineering is a discipline that requires alot of self-motivation;

mechanical aptitude helps, some people may have to work harder at this;

and the engineering/physics degrees provide the "mental" tools to further understand what is going on, but possessing these degrees in no way makes a person an engineer... it's the mental attitude that makes a person an engineer (in addition to what was mentioned above).

$0.02
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes a real engineer is a thinker and problem solver not just a knowledge bank. It all comes down to being able to get a handle on the problem or situation and then finding a way to change or modify things to make things work better. Being self motivated of course is always good.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

and also...as I constantly try to prove...you don't need to be able to spell everything right to be an "engineer"...but you do need to make the effort to go back and check your work to see if you did make a mistake (not just your words)...too many people think of something, build it, and don't know what to do next...how to optimize it, how to make it more efficient, how to make it cost less to produce, how to analyze a failure and redesign to avoid it...how to properly collect data and use it as you work...all the little details matter, you have to pay attention to them.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every class I have took in ME has been just one more tool in the tool box. I can honestly say I do not take any of them for granted and wish I can take some of them over again.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

I am a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, we have a degree called Mechanical Engineering with a focus in motorsports, it's getting competitive GPA wise but is an awsome program. You do general ME stuff until 4th semester when you start MotorSports classes as well. Check out the schools website.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be difficult just to pick up one engineering course. Why not shift to engineering as a major? Applied math and physics is engineering!!!

I WOULD NOT just out and take thermodynamics, you'll integrate your way into understanding a boiler.

CE, ME, EE, ect all need to be able to understand basic principles of other discipline in order to be a true engineer. To take one specific course and come out with a greater knowledge of motorsports is going to be difficult. The classes all work together and build your knowledge into understanding. You can then take that understanding and apply it to whatever you do (by the time your done w/ engineering this isn't volentary it just happens).

My vote is STATICS or Fluid Mechanics. You really need to start with statics which identifies forces and their reactions in addition to fluid mechanic which explains properties of gasses and fluids and how they act statically and dynamically.

Come on, be an engineer, You know you want to do it!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

aside from my powertrain classes? thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer and energy systems (in that order).
Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
and also...as I constantly try to prove...you don't need to be able to spell everything right to be an "engineer"...but you do need to make the effort to go back and check your work to see if you did make a mistake (not just your words)...too many people think of something, build it, and don't know what to do next...how to optimize it, how to make it more efficient, how to make it cost less to produce, how to analyze a failure and redesign to avoid it...how to properly collect data and use it as you work...all the little details matter, you have to pay attention to them.

This is the best advise you've got so far - I would add that you need to attend Darin Morgan's next induction school, he'll help you sift through the data you learned and seperate the facts from the BS.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yak
basically in the end with a bunch of ME's we ended up making 95hp through a 600cc motor through a 20mm restrictor
We will be making over 100 HP.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I graduated from GMI in Flint, MI, I took the ME degree with specialization in the automotive field. Classes included chassis design, engine design, powertrain and vehicle design. As stated by dmiz0420 join the engineering group. Unfortuanatly I didn't join the FSAE team. That is the one regret I have from my college experience.

If you have the drive, you can accomplish anything.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_z
We will be making over 100 HP.
I can't wait to see it, I'll be at the competition this year. You going to Michigan or somewhere else? Whats your school? We're shooting for a bit over 100 HP this time around too
Old 10-27-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackraven
I graduated from GMI in Flint, MI,
You too?
year?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I am a first year mechanical engineer at the University Of Tennessee, I am specifically interested in thermodynamics. Would it be worth it to transfer to Georgia tech after a year? Keep in mind I do have Tennessee scholarships and I would lose them going out of state.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't transfer unless it was to a difinitively awesome program. If you were going to cal-poly or MIT- yeah. sounds good.

I cant ever a situation arising where someone that would say "He got a 3.6 from Tennessee, but I'm not going to interview him" would say anything different if the words "Georgria tech" replaced "Tennesse." This is assume TN has some kind of decent/reputable program.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I can't wait to see it, I'll be at the competition this year. You going to Michigan or somewhere else? Whats your school? We're shooting for a bit over 100 HP this time around too
Minnesota State University-Mankato. I wont be at the competition because im not a senior.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have any suggestions for FSAE. I would love to be a part of it, I may not be a lead engineer but i am pretty familiar around a shop. Also does anyone have a rough timeline as to what a FSAE team does over the course of the year? What are some of the latest trends in engine choice and chassis design?

This sounds like it would be a blast if I can fit it in with work and classes
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
I wouldn't transfer unless it was to a difinitively awesome program. If you were going to cal-poly or MIT- yeah. sounds good.
CRAP...total crap. I agree it isn't worth it to transfer unless it's an outstanding program...but MIT for undergrad? Come on man. MIT is an excellent GRAD SCHOOL, but I'd never even think of the place for undergrad. Go somewhere that you have a lot of choices for what you want to do as you go through school. If you're getting a LOT of tuition assistance to stay in your state, then by all means do that, I'd rather start out with 10% of the student loans to pay if I could have had that option...after you get over the initial hiring hurdle you'll prove yourself as an engineer and work your way up the pay scale fast anyways.

If you're curious about FSAE, go to sae.org, pick "students and competitions" then dig around in there, look at all the team websites...there's a LOT of good stuff on the net about what teams have been doing recently.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just used MIT as an example. I've been less than impressed with a lot of stuff coming from them like this. Fawking retarded.

Scientists looks at ethanol boost for cars
Oct. 25, 2006. 02:51 PM
SCOTT MALONE
REUTERS

BOSTON — Injecting small quantities of ethanol into car engines at moments of peak demand — such as accelerating sharply or climbing a steep hill — could improve the fuel economy of gasoline engines by 20 per cent to 30 per cent, a scientist said Wednesday.
A team of researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is working on the system, which scientists say would allow carmakers to use smaller engines in their vehicles, reducing weight and improving fuel economy at a lower cost to consumers than by adding a hybrid engine.

"To have a big impact on reducing oil consumption, one needs a low-cost way of improving efficiency, so a lot of people buy the car," said Daniel Cohn, senior research scientist at MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

He estimated that adding the ethanol injection system to a car would cost about 1,000 and that cars using the new system could be in mass production by 2011.
"We view it as a very important near-term way to reduce oil consumption," Cohn said.
Volatile U.S. retail gasoline prices — which hit a record high above $3 (figures U.S.) per gallon this summer but have since eased to around $2.20 per gallon — have piqued consumer interest in fuel-efficient cars.
"It's crucial that the internal combustion engine, whether it's gasoline or advanced diesel, is improved to the point where those improvements are meaningful," said Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal, a quarterly magazine focused on alternative powertrains.
Much attention has focused on hybrid cars, such as Toyota Motor Corp.'s Prius, which couple an electric motor with a traditional gasoline engine to improve fuel efficiency. But they are pricey — hybrid engines can add $3,000 or more to a car's cost — and account for just about 1 percent of new car sales in the United States.

How It Works
The U.S's Big Three Detroit automakers — General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and the Chrysler unit of DaimlerChrysler AG — as well as the White House have backed the adoption of cars that can burn the 85 per cent ethanol-15 per cent gasoline blended fuel known as E-85 as an alternative to pure gasoline, which is made from petroleum.
But the limited supply of ethanol, which is made from plant matter, limits its usefulness as a primary fuel source. There are only 900 pumping stations nationwide that sell E-85.
The MIT scientists' plan gets around the ethanol supply issue by using small amounts of it — so little that Cohn estimated the ethanol tank in cars using the technology would need to be refilled every three months or so.
A turbocharger is added to produce more power. The ethanol injection system with the turbocharger would give a driver more power than a conventional engine of the same size.
The higher pressures and temperatures of a turbocharged engine can lead to a problem known as knock, which occurs when the fuel and air in the engine explode prematurely, hurting performance and potentially damaging the engine.
Cohn said his group's technology avoids that problem by injecting ethanol into the engine when knock is likely to occur. The ethanol vaporizes and cools the fuel-air mixture, keeping it from exploding until the engine is ready.
"This is a very special feature of ethanol," Cohn said.
Having "MIT 3.6 GPA" on your transcript when applying to grad schools is a good thing.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your best bet to get into automotive engineering is Mechanical Engineering. When i graduated i looked at working for GM, they generally like to see Mechanicals but will accept other degrees, i'm a civil engineer and they will consider them as well.

Understanding air flow is probably best learned in fluids class, have fun i hated that course.

Quick Reply: Engineers