Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Heated T.B. and its Effect on Intake Air Temp.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the only reason for the heated TB is to prevent
icing. It's not about heating the air, that's just a side
effect. The "expansion valve" that the TB (or carb) is,
can take (say) 35F fog and make icicles of it, no prob,
if you're pulling a respectable level of vacuum at cruise.

I found this out the hard way once on the 404 in Canada,
heading home for Christmas break. Car got slower and
slower, quit dead, finally found a whole mess of ice in
the carb. Chrome air cleaner minus Thermac FTL. Heh.

Back to the subject, I estimate the runner cross-section
at about 2 in2 and surface area of about 24 in2. Close
enough given all the theory vs practice sniping I expect.
I'd leave the plenum out of it as big as it is.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread...for the humor if nothing else.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

It's not needed thats why GM has gotton rid of it in the Gen IV's. Thats just my opinion. I've done the bypass mod because it was free.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Banned

Paging Professor **** McLooney
Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
my coworker says, "if you're gay enough to drive your f***'ing camaro in the winter, go to home depot and buy a 3/8" ball valve and hook that up to your throttle body hose, and you can shut the valve in the summer so it doesn't heat"

but, we are currently doing calculations.
But what's wrong with driving a Camaro in the winter? Never driven one so I wouldn't know.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

You CAN'T drive a Camaro in the winter. Not around here. Once it snowed on me, late fall, I had the car out... and the steamroller tires wouldn't even move the car from a stop, on level ground, at all... It just sits and spins, you need narrow tires and a lot of weight to grip in snow and ice. Never seen one driven in winter, it would be ALL OVER the place... I do know one guy who got narrow winter tires and rims, but don't know how he made out... I wasn't driving in winter, or there was no snow on the ground anyways, it was just cold out when I took that pic, the car only frosted when it got in the warm moist air in the garage... A lot of people say you're a ***** for NOT driving a car like that in the winter. It's not about being a *****, it's just stupid. Like taking a Ferrari on the Moab trail...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
You CAN'T drive a Camaro in the winter. Not around here. Once it snowed on me, late fall, I had the car out... and the steamroller tires wouldn't even move the car from a stop, on level ground, at all... It just sits and spins, you need narrow tires and a lot of weight to grip in snow and ice. Never seen one driven in winter, it would be ALL OVER the place... I do know one guy who got narrow winter tires and rims, but don't know how he made out... I wasn't driving in winter, or there was no snow on the ground anyways, it was just cold out when I took that pic, the car only frosted when it got in the warm moist air in the garage... A lot of people say you're a ***** for NOT driving a car like that in the winter. It's not about being a *****, it's just stupid. Like taking a Ferrari on the Moab trail...
OK so it's the wide tires that won't bite in the snow? That makes sense. Had a Pontiac (non-sports car but still wide tires) that was like that and got rid of it pronto. Sorry to hijack the thread. We now return to the main topic.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
You CAN'T drive a Camaro in the winter. Not around here. Once it snowed on me, late fall, I had the car out... and the steamroller tires wouldn't even move the car from a stop, on level ground, at all... It just sits and spins, you need narrow tires and a lot of weight to grip in snow and ice. ...
Maybe GM should have run coolant hoses through the tires too.

Quick Reply: Heated T.B. and its Effect on Intake Air Temp.