Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Will Camshafts Soon Become Extinct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Put a dial selector on the dash. "LOPE" "TOW" "CRUISE" "TORQUE" "POWER" "REV" "VARIABLE"
In the Variable position the engine sensors gather information and the pcm adjusts valve events for optimum torque vs. fuel economy at any rpm.
That would so so awesome.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have read up on and dreamed of camless technology since I was in middle school. I love the idea and it will happen. Just a matter of time. I just hope I am around to experience it.

As far as high voltages, you can limmit the voltage to whatever you want or even step it down to decrease spark or jumping of sparks for safety in any switching components or areas. Also solid state is the way to go and is getting cheaper and more reliable all the time. Not to mention lighter and smaller.

As for a steady 4XV supply, there are components out there to keep a steady voltage to a supply from a source to decrease the chances and affects of sterios, lights or any other demanding loads that drop voltage temporarily.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Put a dial selector on the dash. "LOPE" "TOW" "CRUISE" "TORQUE" "POWER" "REV" "VARIABLE"
In the Variable position the engine sensors gather information and the pcm adjusts valve events for optimum torque vs. fuel economy at any rpm.
Why do you even need that? I kind of agree with gametech. I say just program it to lope whenever you disable the Traction Control or put it in Competitive Driving Mode. Otherwise, the computer idles clean and crisp for anyone who needs to pass a stationary sniffer test. The rest of the conditions can be accomplished through other controls that already exist: cruise control, tow haul, TPS & MAP.

Why couldn't an electro-hydraulic control work? Diesel pumps already generate 23,000+ lbs of pressure that that injector is able to pulse from idle to WOT. Couldn't the same principal be applied to both sides of a control valve that both opens and closes the valves? That sort of control should be able to control the valve and ramp the valve down to the seat.

Note the use of could and should, as I am not an engineer.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone thought about hydrolic controled valves?No Valve bounce,no spring math and testing
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ari G
Has anyone thought about hydrolic controled valves?No Valve bounce,no spring math and testing
Calculate the oil flow needed to move a valve 16 mm or so in 8 milleseconds (ms) and then close it with hydraulic pressure in the same time. Multiply by 16 or 32 to get total flow. Think about the valves needed to control the flow. They need to act in just a couple of ms.

I did, and it frightened me.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why use valves at all? Why not use solonoids to let the air/fuel in and out of the combustion chamber? Spinning a solonoid requires much less energy than opening and closing a valve as we know them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Hydraulic..

its been done. But no high speed engines however

http://bioage.typepad.com/greencarco...vic_public.pdf

Last edited by H8 LUZN; 01-16-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

id like to see those things open and close valves at 7200 rpm..i wouldnt trust them..just thing of all the problems that could create..but if it worked it would really be interesting
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The "switches" will be solid-state devices (transistors) so there won't be any contacts or arc.
Typical solenoid do not operate at speeds needed to open and close the valves on an engine. They also aren't expected to cycle as many times as they would over a cars life time. Designing switches for the solenoids that can deal with the higher current and the much higher inductive kick(voltage spike) due to the rapid change of that current required to actuate the valves is no small feat as repetitive voltage spikes tend to damage solidstate devices.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I have actually heard quite a bit about this from teachers. My first opinion was WTF. The thought of cars just turning into a damn computer that is damn near impossible to work on. After hearing some other ppls thoughts i kinda like it , Also the main reason we have not seen this yet is due to the fact of the battery. Manufact. are trying to upgrade to a 42V system, in which there has been some controversy about this. 12V is simply not enough !!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oakleyman
I have actually heard quite a bit about this from teachers. My first opinion was WTF. The thought of cars just turning into a damn computer that is damn near impossible to work on. After hearing some other ppls thoughts i kinda like it , Also the main reason we have not seen this yet is due to the fact of the battery. Manufact. are trying to upgrade to a 42V system, in which there has been some controversy about this. 12V is simply not enough !!

It will actually be easier to work on them if you have the correct tools.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Very interesting subject. But sometimes it takes a moron (like myself) to point out the obvious: If there ever comes a day when any little old lady can go to the dealership and finance a practical, everyday driver that becomes a whiplash inducing hot rod at the push of a button, that very same day owning a whiplash inducing hot rod will cease to even be cool.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Somehow I can't see solenoid operated valves being reliable long-term. Camshafts, lifters, and valve springs are proven technology, they work because they are mechanical and require nothing more than lubrication.

Considering solenoids often go bad in applications (starters, reverse lockout, ect) that wouldn't even represent 1/100000 of the use they would see as valve actuators, I can't see them being reliable enough to last long-term.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Resident

I'll leave the whole issue of computer controlled valves to the people who actually know what they're talking about. But I will however present one of my pipe dreams as food for thought:

Imagine being able to combine a computer controlled valve-train with other systems that already exists such as Variable Vane Turbos, and Continuously Variable Transmissions, combined with a computer/sensor system advanced enough to control it all.

Since solenoid valves would allow you to have "displacement on demand" you could run an engine on any number of cylinders, while a VV Turbo would allow you to dial in boost for maximum efficiency or maximum power, and a CVT would allow you to stay at your "perfect" RPM once you've hit it.

Imagine a small displacement V8 that could run on 4 or less cylinders, run 30lbs of boost, make 500hp, produce virtually no emissions, run super smooth, run any number of fuels/grades, and get 50mpg.

Just a dream...
Old 01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
I'll leave the whole issue of computer controlled valves to the people who actually know what they're talking about. But I will however present one of my pipe dreams as food for thought:

Imagine being able to combine a computer controlled valve-train with other systems that already exists such as Variable Vane Turbos, and Continuously Variable Transmissions, combined with a computer/sensor system advanced enough to control it all.

Since solenoid valves would allow you to have "displacement on demand" you could run an engine on any number of cylinders, while a VV Turbo would allow you to dial in boost for maximum efficiency or maximum power, and a CVT would allow you to stay at your "perfect" RPM once you've hit it.

Imagine a small displacement V8 that could run on 4 or less cylinders, run 30lbs of boost, make 500hp, produce virtually no emissions, run super smooth, run any number of fuels/grades, and get 50mpg.

Just a dream...
I see what you are getting at, but how do you figure you'd be able to push 30PSI of boost or un low octane fuel?? Regardless of turbo type or valve operation, pre ignition is still the main issue. The only way to keep detonation from happening is with a combination of high octane fuel and a big intercooler.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Resident

Well obviously you wouldn't be able to run high boost on a low octane fuel, but with a VVT you can run any level of boost you want, so during the week use 87-octane, go to the track on the weekend and put in 110-octane or E85, the computer automatically dials in the maximum amount of performance for the fuel you're running.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Well obviously you wouldn't be able to run high boost on a low octane fuel, but with a VVT you can run any level of boost you want, so during the week use 87-octane, go to the track on the weekend and put in 110-octane or E85, the computer automatically dials in the maximum amount of performance for the fuel you're running.
How does variable valve timing allow you to run any amount of boost that you want?? Regardless of the valve timing, you still have the issue of an air/fuel mixture being compressed on the compression stroke of the motor, which is when pre-ignition occurs. The valves would have to be closed no matter what, so timing is irrelevent.

The only thing that allows you to increase boost compression is higher octane fuel and a cooler charge mixture.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

1 volt acrost the heart could kill you. 33 volts is well more than enough to kill you given sufficient contact ie moist, salty skin. Skin only has high resistances in certain circumstances. Injuries or jumping in a bath tub change that!! You experienced brushed contact with current under dry skin circumstances. Don't get cocky. I pray you never see fatal conditions.

It's not voltage that can kill you, it's ohms!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001bluerata
It's not voltage that can kill you, it's ohms!
Resistance kills...LOL.

I think you meant to say amps or current.

Hammer
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Also, it is not an easy task to develop an electric solonoid that will operate reliably at the speeds required by the engine.
Electromagnetically controlled valves can be made far more reliable than current camshaft designs. They could basically be made with no moving parts other than the actual valve and could open/close almost instantaneously without any stress on the system.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 01-31-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Will Camshafts Soon Become Extinct?