Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Titanium Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WORLDS different between a thermite reaction and what you'll see in applications... really, worlds different.
You don't use any pure metal in a high stress environment, you use an alloy.

Forged and/or billet Ti rods aren't a bad way to go, I'd looooove those someday

Offtopicish time:

When you get aluminum bits down to a sufficiently fine size, you'd have enough actual Al to be useful in a rX. This in turn has the free Al particles able to react with the Fe and create the highly exothermic process given sufficient oxygen and initial energy (friction heat). I don't hear of Al engine parts spontaneously combusting a lot. There are turbochargers out there that have Aluminum compressors, and some jet engines as well (in the lower temp areas so it doesn't melt first)

I don't want to stray offtopic by posting rebuttals to the aluminum armor idea, it can get quite lengthy. However yes, ANY metal on fire is a real bitch to put out and I wouldn't want to be near it. And anything that has Aluminum armor, I wouldn't want to be in just because it's not exactly the toughest material out there for withstanding a lot of bullets or impacts. (RPG would probably punch through the Al armor getting the explosion to hit the inside)

Last edited by OKcruising; 03-10-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Teching In

People who are bashing titanium rods:

A) are too poor to ever afford a set, therefore must bash them to justify going with cheap ones

B) Don't understand metallurgy or the properties of titanium

I don't see how someone can bash a good set of titanium rods?!? They are expensive, but they are the best material for the job in an ideal world.

Titanium is probably one of my favorite materials.. I just can wait till we start getting titanium springs to become more commonplace. Much higher fatigue life and lighter for the same spring rate!!! Just too bad it costs so much.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XBR24
People who are bashing titanium rods:

A) are too poor to ever afford a set, therefore must bash them to justify going with cheap ones

B) Don't understand metallurgy or the properties of titanium
I believe a key component to understanding why titanium makes great engine parts is that you are not using pure titanium as a connecting rod. You are using an alloy. The composition of an alloy is what makes or breaks a part. The companies who produce titanium parts know what they are doing and know what alloy is going to stand up to the temperatures/stresses of the part they are designing. Can you get by in 99.9999% of most engine builds with something else? Yes! Are there times when titanium is a poor choice? Yes!
But these things don't change the fact that titanium is still a great metal for many applications.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LiENUS
I believe a key component to understanding why titanium makes great engine parts is that you are not using pure titanium as a connecting rod. You are using an alloy. The composition of an alloy is what makes or breaks a part. The companies who produce titanium parts know what they are doing and know what alloy is going to stand up to the temperatures/stresses of the part they are designing. Can you get by in 99.9999% of most engine builds with something else? Yes! Are there times when titanium is a poor choice? Yes!
But these things don't change the fact that titanium is still a great metal for many applications.

Yup getting the right alloy is key!

although Grade 5 (Ti 6-4) will get you a long way...
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Who is bashing titanium? Did I miss that part?

It's strong and light. Titanium rods aren't going to break!
Titanium rods themselves aren't going to break. But they are a poor choice for some applications. Theres a racing class using I believe buick engines, one of the requirements is stock cast crankshaft, no forged peices. The engine builders for this class use aluminum rods in the high power engines because the aluminum absorbs the shock and saves the crankshaft. Since the crankshafts aren't produced anymore replacing a crankshaft becomes expensive, whilst replacing connecting rods is relatively cheap. Granted this is very much a corner case and not the norm but there are other cases similar to it. Imagine using titanium rods with a cast crank in a 2 bolt block. You'd spin a bearing every race. Plus, after a couple seasons when it comes time to polish your crank and resize the big end of the rods, its hell to find someone with the equipment to work titanium.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted LS1
^ Been here for 5 years matey but just changed my siggy 1 set are for HarryOz's 427 monaro turbo build. Another set are for a 427 n/a cobra. Oh and a 3rd set will be for my blown 427 TR8, eventually, lol. All Darton MID's.

Boosted.
ace! got any pics of the builds or engines????

(and just to keep it on topic) any pics of the rods?????

Chris.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Chris,

Some parts are here including the rods:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing...65605&f=69&h=0.

Heads are away being coated, pistons are on order, the plenums having the coolers fitted. I expect Harry's to come together in about 6 weeks

Boosted.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted LS1
Chris,

Some parts are here including the rods:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing...65605&f=69&h=0.

Heads are away being coated, pistons are on order, the plenums having the coolers fitted. I expect Harry's to come together in about 6 weeks

Boosted.
that looks amazing! what turbo setup is going in the manarno? how about for the TR8? how come you have gone for 427 over stroked LS1's???

think you should buy an ultima and show everyone how to do it!

thanks (a very very jealous) Chris.

PS. need any weekend a helper????
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

No one is going to try and say that crankshaft is titanium right?

Man titanium looks like crap (I'm wearing a titanium ring right now, definately doesn't hold its shine).
I've seen a titanium crankshaft. It's a thing of beauty. I have never gotten to touch the crankshaft though but the rods themselves... I held them in my hands and it was like holding the ark of the covenant. They were so light and yet the metal had a strange feel to it, its like the difference between drinking patron and drinking jose cuervo. They're both the same thing yet they feel completely different.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Ask the army why they don't make Tanks and APC's out of aluminum.
When it catches it stays on fire, a really hot fire and unless you have a large enough Class D extinguisher to put out a Bradly or a Striker it won't be fun. One hit from an RPG and it goes up in flame and just burns the entire vehicle into ash and slag.

It burns alot hence they even use it for some types of rocket fuel. The aluminum used in the paint on the Hindenburg is why the exterior skin went up so quickly as well (I even saw a documentary on that one).

For Aluminum Here:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

For Titanium Here
http://www.titanium.com/titanium/tech_manual/tech15.cfm

Mmm, chemically.

*edit*

Oh yeah, mix Iron Oxide to Aluminum power. The oxygen bonds with the aluminum and makes a wonderful thing called thermite. Add enough heat (from maybe those gray sprinklers you used to play with as a kid) and the new molecule made from the Iron Oxide and Aluminum powder ERUPTS into a wonderful flaming unstoppable cacaphony.

My *** is on fire my *** is on fire!!!

If you use a grinder on aluminum and then iron you can make the dust literally blow your face off.
Aluminum sheets etc. etc. doesn't burn, but aluminum powder, along with any other powder, has the capacity to explode when ignited. Even grains can do this, that's what a silo explosion is
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick1998Z28
Aluminum sheets etc. etc. doesn't burn, but aluminum powder, along with any other powder, has the capacity to explode when ignited. Even grains can do this, that's what a silo explosion is
Aluminum sheets can burn, thats why you need a special welder to weld aluminum. Coincidentally so can iron, thats how an acetylene cutting torch works.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Genesis, the cranks are forged by callies. Rods are titanium.

Chris, don't need an ultima. A good TR8 ought to see one off plus it has boot space. Stevie T seems to better their figures already. Just goes to show what good work privateers can do.

Boosted.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Offtopicish time:

When you get aluminum bits down to a sufficiently fine size, you'd have enough actual Al to be useful in a rX. This in turn has the free Al particles able to react with the Fe

My little brother and I use to make Thermite! Fun stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

believe it or not Eagle now also sells Ti rods but since it's late and I am at Home I don't kow the price right offhand.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

another thing to consider is that titanium is very notch sensative, tiny surface scratches can lead to stress concentrations which promote cracks and rod failure.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Ti is also not friendly to being rubbed on. Ti springs are coated so the retainers will not beat them up.

People who say aluminum rods are not safe for the street are working on very old information. Get rods that are made of 7075 T6 and put an oil temp gauge in the car. They do not like very high oil temps. Not really an issue with street engine.

Stay away from 2014 rods. They will work harden and break with street use.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Aluminum sheets can burn, thats why you need a special welder to weld aluminum. Coincidentally so can iron, thats how an acetylene cutting torch works.

Special welder to weld aluminum? You can MIG weld aluminum just like you can MIG weld steel using the correct gas and wire. You can also TIG aluminum just as you would steel.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I've seen a titanium crankshaft. It's a thing of beauty. I have never gotten to touch the crankshaft though but the rods themselves... I held them in my hands and it was like holding the ark of the covenant. They were so light and yet the metal had a strange feel to it, its like the difference between drinking patron and drinking jose cuervo. They're both the same thing yet they feel completely different.
Lienus,
Could you please elaborate on the manufacturer and application that you had first hand involvement with a Ti crankshaft?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lason
Special welder to weld aluminum? You can MIG weld aluminum just like you can MIG weld steel using the correct gas and wire. You can also TIG aluminum just as you would steel.
You can't use innercore to weld aluminum, you can't use a stick welder for the most part to weld aluminum either. You have to spend a bit more and get a welder with some form of controlled gas displacement systems rather than the garbage that is innercore.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Lienus,
Could you please elaborate on the manufacturer and application that you had first hand involvement with a Ti crankshaft?

Thanks in advance
I can't really. I was brought in well after the engine was built, I wasn't even directly involved in it at the time either it was just getting a new set of pistons so the rods were out and I had the opportunity to see the insides. The engine turns about 8000 rpm and makes about 800 horsepower and is under 400 cubes. I am being put in a position where I likely will end up maintaining this engine and the car it belongs in however as of right now it's not my project. AFAIK the manufacturer of the crank and rods is no longer around. The engine is probably around 5 years old now and the only issues it has had are thin port walls on the heads and a poor carburetor tune costing the engine a couple of pistons.

Quick Reply: Titanium Rods?