Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Why don't more supercars use transverse mid-engine layouts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the truck manifold is really optimized to part throttle torque which isn't shown at all on any engine or chassis dyno's that we normally see. This could be done (and I'm sure is done by the OEM's and some race teams) by using an eddy current dyno at various manifold absolute pressures and RPM's rather than using an inertial dyno or an eddy current dyno at WOT. Road racing, as in the Daytona Prototypes, is all about varying the throttle. If you want to see some of the other stuff that I've put together on the different LS manifolds, take a look at http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...56#post3630056 as I don't want to hijack this thread in any way.

ClownP, this is one of the more interesting threads that I've been involved in lately. Thanks for starting it.

Steve
Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
I think that the truck manifold is really optimized to part throttle torque which isn't shown at all on any engine or chassis dyno's that we normally see. This could be done (and I'm sure is done by the OEM's and some race teams) by using an eddy current dyno at various manifold absolute pressures and RPM's rather than using an inertial dyno or an eddy current dyno at WOT. Road racing, as in the Daytona Prototypes, is all about varying the throttle. If you want to see some of the other stuff that I've put together on the different LS manifolds, take a look at http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...56#post3630056 as I don't want to hijack this thread in any way.

ClownP, this is one of the more interesting threads that I've been involved in lately. Thanks for starting it.

Steve
Maybe, but my guess is that the DP bits and pieces are chosen for either best power or best average power and torque in the WOT operating range. With a ~7100 mandatory rev limit, and from watching them in person and on TV, I suspect DP engines operate in the top 25% of the rev range at WOT, and that WOT amounts to a large % of the time on tracks such as Daytona. Otherwise we wouldn't see the lap times and max speeds we see from these "restricted" engines. Then again, maybe ugly (the truck manifold) is fast. It's like that with some other things.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-17-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Why don't more supercars use transverse mid-engine layouts?