Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

100 horsepower per liter naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
If one engine is better than another, then it won't be because of more HP/L. It will be because it makes more power and/or is lighter weight. Or do you think the new BMW V8 or their V10 is "superior" to the LS7?
I hate to do this, but... I'll notice this goes unanswered.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Need I remind you that the 4.6 DOHC made 320 hp, while the best 5.0 ever only did 240 hp? I'll take a weight debit for that 80 hp! Not to mention the 4.6 will get better gas mileage if they gear it right.

Mike
Way to read within the context
"Ok, now for this comparison Im going to make up some numbers to prove a point."

Last edited by JD_AMG; 06-21-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To all who think that DOHC engines have a poor hp/lb or hp/size as compared to 2 valve pushrod engines making the same power!

Take a look at these previously mentioned engines:

http://www.saskma.com/content/view/126/6/

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562069.htm

You gotta' like 2.8 liters and 400 hp at only 200 lb engine weight. Hmmm, how much does the LS2 weigh again? I believe it's over 400 lb.

So. . . that 2.8 liter DOHC monstrosity is HALF the weight of the LS2 and produces the same power. Also, the DOHC monster is 4" narrower, 2" shorter height, and 8" shorter length than the tiny little pushrod LS2.

How's that for "power density"?!? And that's using the stock motorcycle cams, which idle smooth and pass emissions!

By the way, the 4.6 DOHC Ford is almost identical in weight to the old 302 pushrod motor.
Ah yes, the Hartley V8, a nice piece of engineering no doubt, but how many LS2's can I get for the price of one? About 6...
NO ONE said all OHC engines are bigger than OHV engines, just most of them.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
you would think an engineer would know how to spell naive... on that note, whats really NAIVE is comparing a 5.0 designed in, what the mid to late 60s, to a 4.6 designed in the early 90s.
Luckily, I don't have to use that word too often.

I didn't bring up the 4.6 to 5.0 comparison, someone else did. He said he would hop up a 5.0 over a 4.6 and I simply pointed out how poor of a decision that would be.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

yea that 245lb/ft @ 7500 will really get a street car moving
With the right gear it will.

I guess the Abrams tank's 395 ft-lb won't get it's 140,000 lb moving either.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea that 245lb/ft @ 7500 will really get a street car moving
Yah We'll just throw some 7.60 rear gears in it or something like that, i mean who doesnt love cruising at over 6K rpms, Its a favorite pastime of mine.
TECH Fanatic

With the right gear it will.

I guess the Abrams tank's 395 ft-lb won't get it's 140,000 lb moving either.
And top speed on that would be?
TECH Addict

. . . you'll see the smaller motors, which are "supposed" to get better MPG just aren't doing it.
If you really think that bigger motors get better gas mileage than smaller ones, like for like, then you're too far gone to be helped.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you really think that bigger motors get better gas mileage than smaller ones, like for like, then you're too far gone to be helped.
thats usually the case, except for certain extremes (i.e. Viper), in PERFORMANCE cars.
As in not including things like economy cars which are made to get good ga mileage or trucks and such which are made to tow or for utility.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OKcruising
My buddy's dumping his S2K for a daily driver because it gets shitty mileage and has a dogcrap motor performance-wise (who wants to be driving around at 4K rpm for long stretches of time? anyone? anyone? bueller? bueller?), what's he replacing it with? Why a new Z06 of course, better mileage and performance all around.
\

Different cars, blah blah, . . . if he wants better mileage, tell him to get the (smaller motor) 6.0 vette. 2 more mpg.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if anyone wants to see another "winner" from BMW that the automotive media is having orgasms over, check out the new V8 for the M3. It weighs about the same as the LS7, at 445lbs, and makes a whole lot less power and torque, at 420 hp and 295lb/ft. And it's not for a lack of trying, either. But pushrod designs are so light and compact that they can fit 7 liters into the same weight as BMW does 4 liters.
Are you sure the BMW 4.2L can't be bored and stroked to 7 liters, 6 liters, or even 5 liters? Maybe it can, maybe it can't. But if could then you could possibly have a 7 liter V8 that made 700hp, or roughly 150 more than the LS7 and still weigh the same. Now, of course, BMW hasen't done it, and probably never will. Probably because they see no need to. The can obtain 5.7L power from 1.5 less liters. I would almost bet that if BMW came out with a 6.0L V8 powerplant based on a pushrod design that it would blow away anything that Chevy has right now because it would have all sorts of crazy technology in it get the maximum efficiency from its displacement. But we'll probably never know with that one . . .

Oh, but it makes 105 HP/L to the LS7's ~72. So it must be "better."
No one ever said the 4.2L is "better", just that it has some advanced technology that has been applied to it, that hasn't, as of yet, been applied to the LSx series of engines. And that's the whole point of this thread. I believe that some of those advancements would do well in the LSx motors.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

I notice you used the LS2 and not the LS7. Anyhow...
Hey, you're the one who keeps insisting that, for the same power level, a DOHC motor is heavier and larger than a pushrod motor. . . I would have compared it to the LS7, but you guys seem like you have a hard time comparing more than one dimension at a time. Okay, so let's compare. . .

LS7: 400+ lb, 7.0 liter, 505 hp, 72 hp/liter, 1.23 hp/lb
Busa V8: 200 lb, 2.8 liter, 400 hp, 143 hp/liter, 2.00 hp/lb

Happy?

That's a very advanced engine. There's no doubt about that: it has great power to size/weight.
Yea, it's very advanced. . . the block, pistons, heads, cams, etc. . . were introduced by Suzuki 8 years ago. And, it wasn't new tech at the time. Advanced is 200 hp/liter, not 142.

But there are a lot of unanswered questions about it. For instance, it's $30,000. How much could that come down if it were a production engine? What is its lifespan with its 10,000 RPM redline? And that low TQ is going to need some pretty wacky gearing.
It's $30k because they're hand-built on a very small scale. Do you know anything about manufacturing? The Busa engine it's built off of is built very cheaply. At the right dealer, you could get the whole motorcycle for under $10k and it contains half of that engine. Lifespan? 100,000+ miles proven. And, yes, you would have to gear it appropriately. Did you think you could get 400 hp from 2.8 liters NA otherwise?

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by germeezy1
. . .he keeps bringing up bike engines and tank engines and f'ing fire truck engines and comparing them to stock production LS engines.
Are you really that narrow minded that you can't possibly look beyond LS1 technology to see what else is out there and available?

Originally Posted by germeezy1
. . .when the average large car weighs more than 4,000 lbs it takes torque to get those heavy sleds moving.
Please please don't make me bring up the M1 tank example again that weighs 30x more than a large car but has <400 ft-lb torque. . .

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

I hate to do this, but... I'll notice this goes unanswered... Or do you think the new BMW V8 or their V10 is "superior" to the LS7?
What were the original goals of the BMW V10? I'm absolutely certain it wasn't the same as the LS7. . . In case you haven't noticed, BMW caters more toward the luxury side of the automotive market.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Way to read within the context
"Ok, now for this comparison Im going to make up some numbers to prove a point."
Well next time, make up some that are realistic and not drastically skewed in your favor.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ah yes, the Hartley V8, a nice piece of engineering no doubt, but how many LS2's can I get for the price of one? About 6...
Does anyone know anything about manufacturing mass quantities around here? Again, Suzuki is quite cheaply producing 1/2 of the Hartley v-8's and been doing it for 8 years.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Yah We'll just throw some 7.60 rear gears in it or something like that, i mean who doesnt love cruising at over 6K rpms, Its a favorite pastime of mine. ... And top speed on that would be?
Are you unaware that you can build a transmission with gears 1-4 being very short and closely spaced, and 5-6 being tall?

The top speed of the Abrams tank is limited by a) a governor, b) the hp (1500 will only push 140,000 lb so fast) and c) the drag of the tracks.

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
thats usually the case, except for certain extremes (i.e. Viper), in PERFORMANCE cars. As in not including things like economy cars which are made to get good ga mileage or trucks and such which are made to tow or for utility.
So you think that physics only applies to economy cars and trucks???

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Also, if anyone wants to see another "winner" from BMW that the automotive media is having orgasms over, check out the new V8 for the M3. It weighs about the same as the LS7, at 445lbs, and makes a whole lot less power and torque, at 420 hp and 295lb/ft. And it's not for a lack of trying, either. But pushrod designs are so light and compact that they can fit 7 liters into the same weight as BMW does 4 liters. .
That's funny. . . BMW's v-8 in it's first year of production, at only 4.2 liters and the same weight of an LS1, made 420 hp. The LS1 in it's first year out was 5.7 liters and only made 350 hp. But, somehow, we like to compare the 8th revision of the LS1, after it's been upsized 3 times (or was it more?) to the BMW in it's 1st year. And, once again, BMW caters to luxury over performance anyway, so they probably weren't even trying too hard to optimize power.

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, there's the key. "Like for Like." If they're both geared, cammed, and tuned for economy, then no. But if they're both geared, cammed, and tuned for performance, look what happens. Just look at the real world for once. What MPG does the S2000, a lighter and slower car, get?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if anyone wants to see another "winner" from BMW that the automotive media is having orgasms over, check out the new V8 for the M3. It weighs about the same as the LS7, at 445lbs, and makes a whole lot less power and torque, at 420 hp and 295lb/ft. And it's not for a lack of trying, either. But pushrod designs are so light and compact that they can fit 7 liters into the same weight as BMW does 4 liters.

Oh, but it makes 105 HP/L to the LS7's ~72. So it must be "better."
So what are you trying to say?

That GM engineering teams focus on the weight, power, and cost of the engine and not just the HP/L?

Stupid dumbestics!

Quick Reply: 100 horsepower per liter naturally aspirated