Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

100 horsepower per liter naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
I'm suprised the cady N* motor hasn't been brought up more in this debate. 4.6L DOHC 275-320 hp NA and it will deliver 25+mpg highway in 4000lb vehicles.
And it's bigger and heavier than an LS2 or LS7.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys! I finally caught on to black_knight's posts! If, "Higher HP from constant displacement takes L out of the equation. HP/L without changing L just equals HP."

Based on that, PSI is not a valid unit of measure. I mean, higher force (lbs) from a constant area takes in^2 out of the equation! PSI without changing in^2 just equals lbs! I can't wait to go to work tomorrow so I can tell all the other engineers that they shouldn't be using PSI in their calculations!

"How much tire pressure do you want?" Oh, I dunno, about 70,000 lb.
"What was the compression in that motor?" I got 1900 lb based on piston area.
"How much boost are you running?" Crap, this is going to get complicated.

I think it's funny how all the engineering and driveline development-types see the value in the metric "hp/liter", but black_knight and a couple other die-hard GM guys don't...

I never really thought about this, but I own a Chevy (turbo 388 Z28), Ford (Lightning with "gasp" a missed-the-boat mod motor), a Kawasaki (ZX-10R), Yamaha's (YZ250 and IT175), a Honda (MB5), and a Sea-Doo (RXP). The only one with pushrods is the Chevy. I guess ALL the others (which were ALL designed for high performance) got it way wrong according to some of you.

I agree with DanO. I'm glad you guys aren't in engine development (like him).

Mike
Old 06-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black_knight
It was a failure. People bought the Mustang. The Mustang succeeded in spite of the mod motor, not because of it. Vice versa the fbody and the LS1. Are you prepared to say otherwise?
But obviously the 4.6 was good enough that they still sold, quite well in fact, quite better than your Godly equipped F-body's.

And just the other day I got my *** royally handed to me by a 4.6l Mustang. And this wasn't in my V6 that nobody cares about, this was in my 12.8 second SS Camaro. And he didn't just walk me, we started at 4,000 in 2nd, and by my shift to 3rd, I couldn't even hear him anymore. And that car was f*cking loud. He raped me. Rolled to a gas station, his mod list was cut outs, a smaller pulley, and a tune. He ran an 11.2. Show me an LS1 that will pull an 11.8 with under $1000 in mods, in a heavier car.

Originally Posted by Krom
The V6 mustang far outsold the 4.6 (I believe it was almost 3:1), and the sales of said V6 mustang are why the car stayed alive. The mustang was an easier to live with day to day, it was soft, had high upright seats, and a bigger trunk, (good girls car) while the F body was a sports car, smaller trunk, lower to the ground, harder to get in and out of (not a good girls car)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 3.8 Camaro's outsell the V8s as well? If the LS1 was so cheap to produce, and such a goldmine for GM, you'd think it'd keep selling. Nope, cut after 4 years. ****, my DOHC Lumina lasted longer than that!

Last edited by FieroZ34; 06-25-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You didn't lose because you have a pushrod engine. You lost because he is supercharged.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Louie83
You didn't lose because you have a pushrod engine. You lost because he is supercharged.
However if I had a DOHC engine, whose heads could actually flow, I could use my extra 1.1l to an exponentially greater proportion, and he would've gotten his *** beat.

Explain to me why my 3.4l DOHC, when it wasn't turbocharged, could beat a 3.8l supercharged. It's got a half liter of displacement less, and doesn't have 10psi force feeding it. Because my heads don't suck, that's why. But it's a good thing he had so much low end torque, even though my 60' was still 2 tenths faster.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
However if I had a DOHC engine, whose heads could actually flow, I could use my extra 1.1l to an exponentially greater proportion, and he would've gotten his *** beat.
If you had a 5.7L DOHC engine, it would be sticking out of your hood.

Look idiot, people like Engineering Mike and Dano can see that OHC and OHV engines both have their uses in various situations. You on the other hand, can see nothing but HP/L. HP/L is important in performance engines, but so is size, weight, and cost.

If I could fit a 7L DOHC engine with 5 valves per head, and have it be the size and cost of a 7L OHV engine, I would. Something you don't understand is that there are trade-offs that engineering teams have to take into consideration.

Someone could use your same argument and say they beat a Cobra with their LS7 engine they put in an F-body. The LS7 weighs less and is smaller and does not have a supercharger, and it STILL makes more power. We could go in circles like this forever, but the point is that you did not lose because the Cobra is DOHC.

To everyone: Picking random examples and comparing them based on whatever criteria benefits you most is a pointless exercise that can go on forever.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

apples to monkeys comparison
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Banned

If you had a 5.7L DOHC engine, it would be sticking out of your hood.
How come my 3.4 DOHC engine doesn't stick out of my decklid? In fact, using the exact same engine mounts as the stock 2.8, the highest point of the engine only sits 3/8" higher than that of the 2.8l OHV engine. So I gained 100+hp, lost 40lbs, and the engine is not any higher. Why can't the same be done on an LS1?

Look idiot, people like Engineering Mike and Dano can see that OHC and OHV engines both have their uses in various situations. You on the other hand, can see nothing but HP/L. HP/L is important in performance engines, but so is size, weight, and cost.
But I can't? I drive and enjoy pushrod engines (3), on a daily basis, and as a matter of fact, drive them much more frequently than my DOHC. Maybe you should try reading before making ignorant remarks.

Or maybe they're built like that for the power curve? Not everyone likes the instantaneous torque of the LSX. I like it, but I also really enjoy the DOHC power curve. It has plenty of low end, but changes to a completely different style up high. Not to say I don't like the LSX, but I really enjoyed driving the M5 as well. Different strokes for different folks. In my application, and it applies to a lot of applications, the DOHC setup is superior. I'll agree pushrod engines have their place, and I really enjoy our LS1, but to say they are better at such a broad scheme of things is wrong, as is saying DOHC is solely for HP/L.
If I could fit a 7L DOHC engine with 5 valves per head, and have it be the size and cost of a 7L OHV engine, I would. Something you don't understand is that there are trade-offs that engineering teams have to take into consideration.
I went from a 2.8l OHV, which was already tight in the engine bay, to a 3.4l DOHC, with a turbocharger and air:water intercooler. The space is there, it just takes some good engineering to make it work.

Someone could use your same argument and say they beat a Cobra with their LS7 engine they put in an F-body. The LS7 weighs less and is smaller and does not have a supercharger, and it STILL makes more power. We could go in circles like this forever, but the point is that you did not lose because the Cobra is DOHC.
But my car doesn't have an LS7, nor was it offered with one. In fact, an LS7 engine costs more than my entire car did.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

How come my 3.4 DOHC engine doesn't stick out of my decklid? In fact, using the exact same engine mounts as the stock 2.8, the highest point of the engine only sits 3/8" higher than that of the 2.8l OHV engine. So I gained 100+hp, lost 40lbs, and the engine is not any higher. Why can't the same be done on an LS1?.
I have no idea about either engine, but it sounds like you picked a good one. I don't care about random examples of specific engines. I do not have a problem with OHC at all.

But I can't? I drive and enjoy pushrod engines (3), on a daily basis, and as a matter of fact, drive them much more frequently than my DOHC. Maybe you should try reading before making ignorant remarks..
You drive them daily and bash them hourly.

I went from a 2.8l OHV, which was already tight in the engine bay, to a 3.4l DOHC, with a turbocharger and air:water intercooler. The space is there, it just takes some good engineering to make it work..
I don't care about your car. The point being made is that OHV's are in general more compact and lighter. That is their main advantage and why engineers use them.

But my car doesn't have an LS7, nor was it offered with one. In fact, an LS7 engine costs more than my entire car did.
Are you dense? You were comparing the supercharged 4.6 to a NA 5.7 LS1. We aren't arguing Firebirds and Mustangs, we are arguing about DOHC and OHV. The point is, if you are going to be dumb enough to say DOHC is better because a 4.6 supercharged DOHC engine makes more power than a NA 5.7 engine, then I'll bring up the fact that the LS7 is smaller, lighter, and makes more power than the supercharged 4.6.

So stop doing this:
To everyone: Picking random examples and comparing them based on whatever criteria benefits you most is a pointless exercise that can go on forever.
The reason why I am picking on you and not Engineering MIke is because you bash LSx engines, anything OHV, and GM (well, maybe they deserve it). HP/L is important, but from every single post you have made in this thread, it seems to be your only criteria to base engines on.

All I want is for you to see that OHV's can be impressive from a performance standpoint just like DOHC's. OHC's have benefits and OHV's have benefits. If this were not true, then engineering teams would not use both designs.

Please read this: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forum...topic=15551&hl=
Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Teching In

technically you can put 35000 psi in 2 in^2 which would be 70000 lbs
or 10000 psi in 7 in^2 which would be 70000 lbs

just saying
Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanO
You dont realize there is more than one way to design an engine.
I don't disagree with anything that you said. So I must be coming across wrong. I qualified my statements, and the contexts they were meant to apply to, but that was like a bazillion pages ago and of course I am being slandered left and right by Mike so I could see that it might get lost in the wall of noise.

Don't worry Dan; I know those things.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krom
The V6 mustang far outsold the 4.6 (I believe it was almost 3:1), and the sales of said V6 mustang are why the car stayed alive. The mustang was an easier to live with day to day, it was soft, had high upright seats, and a bigger trunk, (good girls car) while the F body was a sports car, smaller trunk, lower to the ground, harder to get in and out of (not a good girls car)
Exactly correct!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 AM
12 Second Club

But obviously the 4.6 was good enough that they still sold, quite well in fact, quite better than your Godly equipped F-body's.
For the exact reasons that Krom listed. Nothing to do with the engine.

Rolled to a gas station, his mod list was cut outs, a smaller pulley, and a tune. He ran an 11.2. Show me an LS1 that will pull an 11.8 with under $1000 in mods, in a heavier car.
Pulley? Oh, so you left out the detail that it's a Terminator. Where we were talking about contemporaries of the LS1 and LT1. What exactly are you trying to pull?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
[b]Based on that, PSI is not a valid unit of measure.
How's that? I said that since you are talking about increasing "hp/L" without changing L, then you are simply increasing HP. The "per liter" thing is totally redundant in that phrase. Null value.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
How's that? I said that since you are talking about increasing "hp/L" without changing L, then you are simply increasing HP. The "per liter" thing is totally redundant in that phrase. Null value.
. . . and by that line of thinking, if you are talking about increasing "pounds per square inch" without changing "square inches", then you are simply increasing "pounds". The "per square inch" thing is totally redundant in that phrase. Therefore, "PSI" is a null value and just ricer math.

Also, look up the definition of "slander".

Mike

Last edited by engineermike; 06-26-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
. . . and by that line of thinking, if you are talking about increasing "pounds per square inch"
Well, I'm not talking about pounds per square inch.

/smartass answer

Fact is, you're playing word games. Dishonest ones.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old SStroker

Homework question: Can one libel onself by one's own posts?
I dont know.. but im a moron..

Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was done but I still can't believe someone would compare a basically one off engine that came in one obscure limited production car in the US to the LS1. The 5.4 DOHC N/A made less hp than the LS6 and thats with a parts list of internals that reads like the who is who of engines.

This is not about displacement...vs displacement...I know that DOHC heads flow better and make more hp per liter usually. If GM can fit 5.7 liters into a package well under the size and weight of a 4.6 liter that sounds like great engineering and its ridiculous to knock the LS1 because of that.

As I have said before my C5 is the first pushrod car I have owned in a long time, I actually bought my Cobra because of the 32V engine and have owned many N* Cadillacs (love that engine!) My hats off to GM for evolving the pushrod motor into something that has no problem revving as high and a much better powerband in a smaller space than most DOHC engines.

Why not have your cake and eat it too? My dream engine would combine big cubes and high revs and two power adders! Mercedes has always done a good job at there OHC engines and they are not afraid of displacement. There is something to be said for the feel of a car with a good powerband.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With new technologies such as VVT for OHV its only a matter of time and development before most of the trade offs for OHV are eliminated. For those of you that forget...pushrod engines do high revs and peaky powerbands too.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Explain to me why my 3.4l DOHC, when it wasn't turbocharged, could beat a 3.8l supercharged. It's got a half liter of displacement less, and doesn't have 10psi force feeding it. Because my heads don't suck, that's why. But it's a good thing he had so much low end torque, even though my 60' was still 2 tenths faster.
What kind of car are we talking about here? A heavy FWD Grand Prix? Regal? Monte Carlo? Park Avenue? There are other things to consider, like mods, weight, driver, tires, etc.

Also keep in mind that the 2.8 you are talking about is rather large for its displacement. So much so that they ended up being 3.1 and then 3.4, so in essence you put a 3.4 where a 3.4 could have been.

How much wider was your 3.4?

Quick Reply: 100 horsepower per liter naturally aspirated