Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Need advanced help, oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advanced help, oil consumption

Hello,

Let me set this up correctly so you will know what the problem is i am having.
I started with a 97 LS1 in my corvette, it had 55k miles on it stock and ran perfectly and had absolutely 0 oil consumption problems.

I installed a set of heads/cam/headers and LS6 intake manifold, it then began to smoke heavily on deceleration. My first thought was PCV and i needed a catch can (i found quite a bit of oil in the intake), so i purchased a new catch can and installed it on the PCV line before the PCV valve.

Catch can didnt stop the smoke, i did notice some oil in the can, but im still smoking on decel.

This morning i went out and capped off the 2 PCV inlets, the one on the intake manifold and the one on the throttle body and just let the PCV vent to free air, This did not help, im still smoking on decel.

Im thinking a valve seal, but i dont get any smoke on startup. I hope the bottom end isnt hurt, but all the evidence doesnt suggest it (bottom end was perfect prior to head swap).

Any thought, ideas or further troubleshooting suggestions, im tryin to keep it together and not go nuts hoping i dont have to replace the motor, Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
FormerVendor

Just got some assistance from TSP, one thing i didnt think of was due to the amount of porting done to my heads the intake rocker bolts extend into the intake runner, i should have sealed these bolts with silicone before installing the bolts, so they say this should be the couse of my problem, oil is getting sucked past the bolt threads into the intake ports, i hope this fixes it!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Let us know. I've read numerous reports of the same phenomena as you are describing, but rarely have heard of anyone successfully fixing it. I hope you have found your answer.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Formulated
Let us know. I've read numerous reports of the same phenomena as you are describing, but rarely have heard of anyone successfully fixing it. I hope you have found your answer.
well this morning i took it all apart, the car had been sitting for a few days so there was no oil on top of the rockers.

each bolt i pulled out of the intake rockers was completely coated with oil all the way down the threads and had droplets forming on the narrower tips, which are directly open into the intake port.

figure ill let it sit for a day to ensure the silicone sets up good, but i defenetily think that was the problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it contiues to consume oil post back up. while I have seen oil get past the bolts usually the larger issue is the engine is tunned far to rich and this thins the oil. Easily verifiable with an Oil Sample test from Amsoil.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have 98 m6 with same problem i still haven't found a cure yet. mine didn't start until long tube install with ory. my car never smoked or used not one drop of oil before. mine only smokes on decel also