Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

OIL!!! cant seem to find out where its coming from!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OIL!!! cant seem to find out where its coming from!!PICS

This is the setup im running.. No PCV system. Only lines coming from the intake are the MAP sensor and brake booster. Ive sent the heads back to ETP and had them looked over. No problems with valveguides either. I changed from silicone to thread lock on the rocker arm bolts. With just 5 mins of runtime on the newly cleaned up heads I pulled the intake and OIL was puddled up behind the valve already!! Just before I pulled the heads it was dynoed at 483hp with full exhaust ...512hp with open headers. The oil is consistent throughout all 8 cylinders, from the head ports..up the runner of the intake..to the back of the TB. Almost like its being poured down the TB. Im hoping its not the rings and im also hoping someone will have some experience with this hell. Compression and leak down is next so we'll see.

Could vacuum or something be pulling oil past the rings all the way to the back of the throttle body??

Anything advice will be helpful at this point....thanks

Last edited by NosboySS; 07-29-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Are you sure the rocker stand bolts are not the problem.Maybe the bolts or rocker stand are not seating properly and allowing oil to seap past.Did you feel if there is any oil around the top of the port were the hole is at for the bolts? The only two places were oil can get into the intake port is the rocker stand bolts or the valve guide seals.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I thought Tuff. I needed new valve springs anyway so I sent them off to ETP and Craig told me that the valve guides were fine. Im using stock rockers so all there are is the stand that sits on dowels. That lifts the rockers up alittle is all. Nothing to bolt down there. There is oil all over though.....from the spark plug to the back of the TB. Coating the runners and everything. I mean something has to be really off for the amount of oil Im getting im only 5 mins. Here are some pics of what im talking about.

Intake runner

u can see the wetness and how dark the TB blades are. Supposed to be gold.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

small crack somewhere in heads maybe? and or suggested above valve seals. those are only 2 things i can think of. goodluck
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Are those metal shavings on the intake gasket and i see some on the throttle blade also?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tuff
Are those metal shavings on the intake gasket and i see some on the throttle blade also?
No, must be shiny oil spots or something. Everything is wet with oil so it looks shiny. I see what ur talking about though

Quick Reply: OIL!!! cant seem to find out where its coming from!!