Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Oil Accumulators

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Accumulators

I've been driving Chevys for over 36 years and until I bought my 98 Z28 I had never spun a rod bearing on anything. So far I've been thru 2 motors with spun rod bearings and now have a new shortblock installed and been thinking of a way to keep this one running. Big Block Chevy motors use to have a problem with pumping all the oil out of the oil pan before the oil could recirculate back thru the motor when you drag raced them. So we always ran 8 or 12 quart oil pans and that fixed the problem. I'm wondering if this applies to the LS1 motors also? If so would one of theses Oil Accumulators be a good investment for me. I've never heard anybody say that they use them but if this device can supply oil under pressure when your motors in trouble it looks like it would be worth its weight in gold. I'm sure they make deeper oil pans for a LS1 but you never hear about anybody running one.
If anybody here is running an Oil Accumulator on their Camaro how do you have it hooked up? Do these devices work on wet sumps?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the oiling system in LS1s is not nearly as awesome as your old school BB and SBC engines. If I had been through 2 engines like you, I would be thinking dry sump with a Jesel belt drive on the crank.

Or be a cheap ***(read: me) and run with 7 quarts instead of the factory 5.5. That would probably fix any problems you could have.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can run oil accumulators on basicly a stock LS1. Do a search here, and both the LS1 and LS2 internal sections and you will see all the stuff you need to make it work.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
You can run oil accumulators on basicly a stock LS1. Do a search here, and both the LS1 and LS2 internal sections and you will see all the stuff you need to make it work.
All I could find was 2 posts by Judd and 1 by Mercer Motorsports, I tried the search. Thats why I posted.