Homogoneous Charge Compression Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homogoneous Charge Compression Ignition

HCCI
It's coming !!!!

NO, HCCI is not a gasoline engine that works like a diesel.

HCCI combusiton can occur with either diesel fuel or gasoline.

HCCI is Homogoneous Charge Compression Ignition. This is opposed to Homogoneous Charge Spark Ignition (gasoline) or Stratified Charge Compression Ignition (diesel) - current technology.

HCCI means that there is no flame front. The air and fuel uniformly combust.

Think of it as spontaneous combustion as opposed to starting a fire with a match.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54641
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sure sounds like hcci is operating a gasoline engine like a diesel engine- direct injection of gas and it's automatically ignited by the heat from compression.
The spark plugs are only there to get the engine running when cold, not much different than a diesel with glow plugs either.

http://www.me.berkeley.edu/cal/HCCI/
In addition, HCCI is a lean combustion process. These conditions translate to a lower local flame temperature which lower the amount of Nitric Oxide (NOx) produced in the process. NOx is a gas that is believed to be responsible for the creation of ozone (O3).
people need to drive more traditional gas and diesel powered vehicles, creating ozone to make up for what we destroyed with R-12

I thought lean burn created higher cylinder temps?
I think we'd be better off from a fuel economy point of view if they stopped putting 250+ hp engines in cars and dropped them back to 100hp or less.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd like to see fully computer controlled electromagnetically activated valves actually make it to market. Think about it. No cams. The valves are completely computer controlled through software. You can have the engine run in ultra efficient mode during the week to get high MPG, then change the mode to high performance for the weekend and still get more power (better bhp & torque curves too) and better mileage than anything out today. The systems have been in development for a while, but nothing has come out to production yet. It think whats holding them back is the electrical requirements and the longevity of the electromagnetic actuators. I remember talk a while back about a switch to 24V and 48V electrical systems which would help bring this technology to market. The computer could exactly control the valves to match the load, speed, etc at that exact moment for the best power and efficiency instead of the hard-set of a non-variable cam and without the complexity of current mechanically variable systems. Upgrading the engine would be a lot simpler and cheaper too. Instead of buying and installing a cam, just reflash the computer.

I'm not making this stuff up and its not pie-in-the-sky either. There was a lot of talk about it a few years ago, but hybrids and alternative fuels came into the market and became media darlings distracting from development in this area.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-19-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Solenoid valves would be the pinnacle of combustion engines. I want one.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Solenoid valves would be the pinnacle of combustion engines. I want one.
Me too.
Maybe then I can get better than 13mpg on my stock engine.
(And of course have more bhp & torque.)
Old 09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Sorry for the
I thought that maybe people reading this thread would be interested.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I'd like to see fully computer controlled electromagnetically activated valves actually make it to market. Think about it. No cams. The valves are completely computer controlled through software. You can have the engine run in ultra efficient mode during the week to get high MPG, then change the mode to high performance for the weekend and still get more power (better bhp & torque curves too) and better mileage than anything out today. The systems have been in development for a while, but nothing has come out to production yet. It think whats holding them back is the electrical requirements and the longevity of the electromagnetic actuators. I remember talk a while back about a switch to 24V and 48V electrical systems which would help bring this technology to market. The computer could exactly control the valves to match the load, speed, etc at that exact moment for the best power and efficiency instead of the hard-set of a non-variable cam and without the complexity of current mechanically variable systems. Upgrading the engine would be a lot simpler and cheaper too. Instead of buying and installing a cam, just reflash the computer.

I'm not making this stuff up and its not pie-in-the-sky either. There was a lot of talk about it a few years ago, but hybrids and alternative fuels came into the market and became media darlings distracting from development in this area.
That technology was a big to-do in and around the late 90s early 2000s. I think what diverted the focus was alternative fuels. That, and the practicality of hybrids.
Bottom line is we need to get away from fossil fuels. But that is another subject.
Sorry, dont mean to hijack. Just thought I would contribute......
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

For whatever fuel we burn in the future, we need a better method for controlling the combustion process and electromagnetic valves are a huge improvement over current production technologies.

BTW, diesels are more fuel efficient and cheaper than Hybrids and the new diesel engines coming out to the market are just as clean. Armed with that info.... current production hybrids are not practical. Thats looking at it from a fuel efficiency and emissions perspective. If you look at it from a cost perspective, due to their increased cost they lose there too. It would take several years (beyond the length of the average ownership) to break-even their increased cost versus money saved on fuel. They are fashion statements. Future plug-in hybrids that can run 40mi on electric alone without using their fuel engine are another story.

Continuing with that....
Personally, I'd like the Chevy Volt make it to production. Its a proper hybrid thats electric drive (only the electric motors provide propulsion) with a small generator (Gas IC, Diesel IC, Turbine, Fuel Cell, whatever) to supply aux electrical power to the batteries. Plus, it looks awesome.

Anyone seen the Tesla Roadster?

Last edited by VIP1; 09-19-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Anyone else wanna add their two cents?
This is an interesting topic.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ts#post6137386

We talked about electric valves not too long ago...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like HCCI is just a fancy name for a gasoline powered diesel engine. I would think you would need fairly high compression with gasoline just as you do with a diesel. I think the only direction gasoline engines need to go is with solenoid actuated valves. As far as hybrids I believe the hydrogen fuel cell is the only way to go... now they just need to be able to convert just water into hydrogen and oxygen and burn it in an internal combustion engine, zero emmisions and you just use water to fill up.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Jon5212
now they just need to be able to convert just water into hydrogen and oxygen and burn it in an internal combustion engine, zero emmisions and you just use water to fill up.
Its not as far off as you think....

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Jon5212
zero emmisions and you just use water to fill up.
Actually, the emissions would be water.... water in, water out.... Its not 100% efficient though.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-23-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ts#post6137386

We talked about electric valves not too long ago...
Thanks for the link.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I know that, its just expensive as all get out!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No camshafts?? Hydroelectric valves??
Then you need to see one of my favorite websites other than ls1tech:
http://www.sturmanindustries.com
Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

i was watching future car a while ago and im not sure if any of you saw it but this guy developed an compressed air powered engine that pretty much worked like an air compressor in reverse it was pretty cool and he was able to go like 45 miles an hour and go 300 miles on a tank of just compressed air he said he was even working on a new one that had an on board compressor that ran off of the crank to resupply the air, i thought it was a great idea
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Its a neat concept, but the cars are tiny ultralights that are better suited to Europe than the US.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Banned

It is as long as politics is involved. Which is sad. So much progress could be made if it weren't for greed.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by enos44
i was watching future car a while ago and im not sure if any of you saw it but this guy developed an compressed air powered engine that pretty much worked like an air compressor in reverse it was pretty cool and he was able to go like 45 miles an hour and go 300 miles on a tank of just compressed air he said he was even working on a new one that had an on board compressor that ran off of the crank to resupply the air, i thought it was a great idea
They have a system out there for small delivery trucks [UPS,Fedex].

It is like that when you are taking off and then it stops when you get to speed to recharge the system.

So compressed air helps you start moving. When your going the onboard compressors restore the air.

Pretty cool idea. It was said to help. Probably too expensive even though trucks already have compressors onboard.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk
HCCI
It's coming !!!!

NO, HCCI is not a gasoline engine that works like a diesel.

HCCI combusiton can occur with either diesel fuel or gasoline.

HCCI is Homogoneous Charge Compression Ignition. This is opposed to Homogoneous Charge Spark Ignition (gasoline) or Stratified Charge Compression Ignition (diesel) - current technology.

HCCI means that there is no flame front. The air and fuel uniformly combust.

Think of it as spontaneous combustion as opposed to starting a fire with a match.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54641
i think lotus was working on this kind of thing a couple of years ago. not muhc info was about then though.

along the electronic vavles idea, how about phneumatic (sp)??

thanks Chris.