Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

CAI Length/diameter calculation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAI Length/diameter calculation

How would you determine the ideal length & diameter tubing for a custom CAI for LS2? Would you assume the factory setup was ideal or is there a calculation that you can run to determine what is optimal?

I am trying to run one on my TBSS, but I'm concerned that the pipe diameter and or length will ultimately hamper performance.

If you were able to design a "ram air" intake how would you factor the ram effect into this equation (ie is there a forumla for speed x intake diameter x some coeffiecient=ram effect (cfm) or something like that?

Its been a long time since physics and my knowledge ran out a long time ago.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think that the longer the length, the larger diameter would be needed. The factory stuff is done for packaging and placement and not performance or power. Just look at how many different baffles and turns there are. A lot of that stuff is there to 'quiet' down the intake because most people don't want to hear the motor at all.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ram air doesn't do a thing unless you are trapping like 150 in the quarter. I'll bet you aren't.

CAI are more there to straighten out the airflow. The factory stuff is no where near ideal for making power. It's designed to be quiet and not whistle.

A 4" pipe with few bends will net the most gain for your setup.

Or just buy a setup made by K&N or see what the sponsors have to offer.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Launching!

On my tbss I have the filter down by the brake duct. I had to take out my washer tank, drill 4" opening in fender wall and tried to make it with as few bends as possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jakes4321
On my tbss I have the filter down by the brake duct. I had to take out my washer tank, drill 4" opening in fender wall and tried to make it with as few bends as possible.
I've run this set up as well, but it is not weather friendly. So I'm working on a design that is both flow and weather friendly. I have had 2 designs so far. The second one was good but the filter was too small, so I've tried to think through things more completely this time.

Is there any "proof" of the speed at which the "ram" effect happens? I'm just asking in an effort to learn. There are calculations for everything that's why I'm posting here. I talked with a CAI company and got some forumlas for calculating filter surface area needed for the 6.0L NA and with FI. There has to be specific info like that for these other isssues. By knowing the answers you can design a more efficient set up (ie don't over-build the setup do only was the engine needs).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The speed at which "ram-air" can have any real effect is easily calculated. The problem is that no one wants to hear the answer. You have to be running damn near 200mph to achieve 1 full psi of "ram-air" boost. The best that can realistically be expected of an airbox is to minimize restriction and provide unheated air to the motor. As far as tuned length, that can mostly be tossed out the window until you get behind the throttle body, after which it becomes very important.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gray at SAM said the SAM SS race car trapped 149 with a regular induction system, and 150 with a ram-air type system, with no difference in ET. Don't waste your time unless you plan on going that fast. Even then, it's not a big deal.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even then, its still not statistically significant... Too many variables will still wash the 150 vs 149 as meaningless.
And further to the point, ramair will depend on how much air is on it, and technically the air will slightly compress negating any "cold air" benefit it might have added. Thought id add that to the fire.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Even then, its still not statistically significant... Too many variables will still wash the 150 vs 149 as meaningless.
And further to the point, ramair will depend on how much air is on it, and technically the air will slightly compress negating any "cold air" benefit it might have added. Thought id add that to the fire.
ummm.... how will compressing cold air, thus making it even denser, negate any cold air benefits?

You can achieve about .1 psi of boost at 75 mph with ram air. I did the calculations once for my Mercedes 300SD turbo diesel and it saved about 1/3 a hp of work done by the turbocharger just to compress the volume of air to an additional 0.1 psi . For a gasoline engine you would gain more power because unlike a diesel the air/fuel ratio is fixed. On a normally aspirated v8 engine you would pickup something like an additional 2 to 4 cfm of air flow.

The formula for calculating optimum ram air intake area requires you to know the cfm flow of the engine at a particular speed.

area in square feet = (cfm/60) / feet per second
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ConnClark
ummm.... how will compressing cold air, thus making it even denser, negate any cold air benefits?

You can achieve about .1 psi of boost at 75 mph with ram air. I did the calculations once for my Mercedes 300SD turbo diesel and it saved about 1/3 a hp of work done by the turbocharger just to compress the volume of air to an additional 0.1 psi . For a gasoline engine you would gain more power because unlike a diesel the air/fuel ratio is fixed. On a normally aspirated v8 engine you would pickup something like an additional 2 to 4 cfm of air flow.

The formula for calculating optimum ram air intake area requires you to know the cfm flow of the engine at a particular speed.

area in square feet = (cfm/60) / feet per second
Is this a log-linear or is it 1-to-1. For instance would you expect to have to reach 150 mph to see .2psi boost from ram air (ie a 1-to-1 relationship) or is it log-linear where 75mph would be .1psi and 95 would be .3psi, 115 would be .9 psi etc.? I have the formula for calculating cfm flow for engine size at specific rpm. Your formula will help...THANKS!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Boyle's Law...

PV = nRT

P = pressure
V = volume
n = number of moles (lets say oxygen here)
R = constant
T = temperature.

Since the equation is an equilibrium, if we raise pressure, then as a result the temperature will also rise. Hence, this is why a turbo charger or turbo charger uses some type of intercooler. Granted, n, the number or moles of oxygen will rise, it is not as dramatic as the increase in pressure, hence the dramatic temperature rise.

http://www.7stones.com/Homepage/Publisher/Thermo1.html

This is the theory behind why you need a bottle heater for a nitrous bottle. As the pressure drops, it gets cold, as you heat it, the pressure goes up. Same thing with an intake stream. As you increase the pressure, ultimately the temp will go up a little bit.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Pharmd,

perhaps this link will help

http://web.archive.org/web/200504220.../faq/naca.html

Note: Any where engine demand exceeds the ram air supply you will not achieve maximum possible ram air pressure. It will however provide some benefit .

The Alchemist,

Yes I'm aware of Boyles law. I also know how to apply it.

The only real reason you want cold air is because its denser than warm air. By compressing the air it should make it more dense and therefore allowing you to cram more of it into your cylinders.

Are you suggesting that a ram air system as it compresses the air raises its temp enough to make it less dense? (slight sarcasm implied)
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Pharmd,

The Alchemist,

Yes I'm aware of Boyles law. I also know how to apply it.

The only real reason you want cold air is because its denser than warm air. By compressing the air it should make it more dense and therefore allowing you to cram more of it into your cylinders.

Are you suggesting that a ram air system as it compresses the air raises its temp enough to make it less dense? (slight sarcasm implied)
I was just answering why compressing more air raises the temperature, which the issue then becomes detonation. Do I think that a ram-air system will a: work, no, not really, b: raise the temperature enough to be an issue, again no. Some guys run superchargers and turbo chargers at real low boost levels (<=5psi) without an intercooler because it doesn't raise the temperature level enough to be an issue as long as you have a cooler plug.

Again, I wasn't arguing the fact that it raises the temp enough to be an issue, just explaining why.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ram air works but itīs not the ram effect on our cars except for some killer scoop setup,Itīs the cooler air that is increasing the power
Old 11-03-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe boyle's law is a moot point in this case being that volume and number of moles are pretty well infinite in this case. I've seen actual pressure charts done on the viper naca duct intake and it was barely achieving 1psi of boost in the intake at 180+ MPH, ram air, while a novel idea seems to be almost a waste of time. Intake design is not however. Consider you air filter as a restriction between your throttle body and the real world, with this done you can start to think of your intake as a 2nd plenum feeding the motor, however no matter how large you make your CAI it will not hurt throttle response in any measureable way. A year or two ago I read an article in some ricer mag where they had tested various intake resonator (that thing most people remove) sizes on a honda with a stock intake setup. The larger the resonator (and intake volume) the more air was instantly available to the motor. I'll see if I can dig the article up but in a short story they wound up trying a 2 liter bottle at the end and posted some gains of 5 ft/lbs across the entire RPM band over a stock intake setup. CAI volume and size do matter but basically you want it to be as large as physically possible.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
CAI volume and size do matter but basically you want it to be as large as physically possible.
Then what are we arguing about?

Get a 4" pipe and call it a day.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Who's arguing?

Agreed on 4" pipe, don't see any real gains over anything bigger, 4" is monsterous anyways.

Why not use some of this stuff until you find a location/routing you're happy with.
http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=592

Last edited by Drew04GTO; 11-03-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Teching In

ram air does work and its more than just a cold air intake.

dyno results
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

Now the exact conditions can't be duplicated using the method they used to generate the ram air, however their method wont work as well as true ram air due to the temperature increase by use of the compressors. Any gains by ram air would be higher than these tests.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ConnClark, it does not make any real difference other than providing cooler air. At WOT air is moving into the intake @ ~200 mph. How is a ram effect of 80 or 100 or 150 mph going to provide a pressure increase? Think about it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Teching In

It will make a difference. At about 70 mph you get about 0.1 psi of boost. On most v8s that gets you about 2 hp and 2ft-lbs.

Go here and plug in the bore and stroke of your engine. set the boost and intercooler efficiency to 0. Look at the difference in torque and hp at an altitude of 0 and 190 feet.

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

Quick Reply: CAI Length/diameter calculation