Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Fast 90/90 beneficial when running a reverse split cam like the X1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast 90/90 beneficial when running a reverse split cam like the X1?

I'm running an X1 cam with ported 243's and 1 3/4" longtubes and 2.5" X-pipe with Borla stinger catback. I have in LS6 intake currently. I bought the cam with intentions of having a high flowing exhaust and was told the reverse split would great since the LS6 intake would be the biggest restriction compared to the heads and exhaust. If I were to swap to a FAST setup or the new Weiand intake(if it comes out), would my gains be minimal due to the camshaft I'm running?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
was told the reverse split would great since the LS6 intake would be the biggest restriction compared to the heads and exhaust.
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about....
Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the LS6 intake flows better than the 243 heads and longtubes can support? If that's the case then why do the FAST intakes gain power on most of these cars?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

An ls6 intake will be a restriction. An unported Fast will give you 15-20rwhp and a ported 90 will give to 20-30rwhp depending on well those 243s flow.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So by opening up the intake side more I should still see good gains even with the reverse split cam...good to know. I wonder my cam would work with a 100 shot?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So by opening up the intake side more I should still see good gains even with the reverse split cam...good to know. I wonder my cam would work with a 100 shot?
Your mind is already made up...so why did you ask?

The best/correct response above was the shortest one. The source surprised me, however.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Your mind is already made up...so why did you ask?

The best/correct response above was the shortest one. The source surprised me, however.

Actually my mind isn't made up on anything, I haven't bought an intake or nitrous kit yet.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually my mind isn't made up on anything, I haven't bought an intake or nitrous kit yet.
But you have the only "reverse split" (230/227 .591/.571 112) shelf cam MTI offers, and as I understood your posts, you want to change/upgrade intakes and keep the cam and add a 100 shot.

As has been mentioned, the RS cam is taking you the wrong way and you want to compound the problem. The logic of increasing the intake flow with a restricted exhaust duration and lift and then greatly increasing the needed exhaust flow with a 100 shot while keeping the same short exhuast duration/lift completely escapes me. I suspect your engine won't be too happy with that either.

If you mind really is open, get a decent cam designer to do a cam for the combination you finally settle on. Sell your $400 cam on ebay to someone who believes in reverse splits for LS1 engines. You should be able to get a c-note for it.

You won't find the right cam guys posting here, BTW. The have either been banned or exited stage left of their own accord. More's the pity for the folks still here.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats right!!! All of the good cam "desginers" are long gone... NOBODY on this board knows how to spec a camshaft to meet your goals... I suggest you hi tail it over to Ed Curtis' web site immediately so he can pick up his Borrowed Comp Catalog and " Design" your optimal camshaft............
Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL! hahaha
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

VIPERBLUELX, I would go ahead and get a ported FAST on that motor STAT. I know less than some of these guys have forgotten but I have experience with a similar combo. My cam only (TR230---no good RS type) on an a stock LS6 longblock, in a 3400lb+ TA M6 running high tens at 127+ consistently w/440rwhp/415rwtq. My setup seems to like the FAST90/NW combo. In fact I'm waiting for a sponsor to get back to me on a ported 92mm intake I guess I should nix that idea judging by the experts opinions. IMO, go for it. If it doesn't work out just re-sell it. BTW, really nice gains from your ported heads. I wasn't even entertaining the idea of having my 243's ported until I saw your results.

Larry
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well, as said above, a cam change will definitely be the way to go if you are indeed going with a 100+shot of Nitrous. You would definitely want something with more duration on the exhaust side. Ask Patrick G to spec you a custom cam.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Thats right!!! All of the good cam "desginers" are long gone... NOBODY on this board knows how to spec a camshaft to meet your goals... I suggest you hi tail it over to Ed Curtis' web site immediately so he can pick up his Borrowed Comp Catalog and " Design" your optimal camshaft............
That's not a bad idea! Do you have a link?

Ron, what are your technical views on the OP's Reverse Split cam for his application?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Where do you get your comp lobe numbers from?? R.E.???
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

That's not a bad idea! Do you have a link?

Ron, what are your technical views on the OP's Reverse Split cam for his application?
No link, sorry.

I have never personally seen a reverse split work in an LS engine. I would never suggest a reverse split to anyone with an LS engine, more importantly to someone wanting to add nitrous. I have already discussed cam options with the OP and told him to get the X1 out of his engine.

I have my own thoughts on all of these "custom cam" designers as of late, but Ill keep that to myself
Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

No link, sorry.

I have never personally seen a reverse split work in an LS engine. I would never suggest a reverse split to anyone with an LS engine, more importantly to someone wanting to add nitrous. I have already discussed cam options with the OP and told him to get the X1 out of his engine.

I have my own thoughts on all of these "custom cam" designers as of late, but Ill keep that to myself
Ron,

I found EC without a link. Thanks anyway.

Your thoughts on "custom cam" designers would be interesting to many, I'm sure. They probably don't all use XE-R and/or Xtreme RPM Hi lift lobes, but some might. Some don't say, some do.

Jon
Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron,

I found EC without a link. Thanks anyway.

Your thoughts on "custom cam" designers would be interesting to many, I'm sure. They probably don't all use XE-R and/or Xtreme RPM Hi lift lobes, but some might. Some don't say, some do.

Jon
Like a dog with a bone...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i read somewhere a ls1 intake flows around 250 , ls6 260 and a Fast unported flows around or above 270 . so if you got heads that flow more the intake restricts the cfm for the heads . not sure what a becks or sheet metal intake manifold but they are up there . itbs would flow well also but then you are really getting up in price .

Quick Reply: Fast 90/90 beneficial when running a reverse split cam like the X1?