Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing Question

Hey everyone, whats up? I started a polishing job yesterday- I washed, clayed, and washed again. Then I began using the PC 7424 with an orange cutting pad and Wolfgang's Total Swirl Remover. I did the hood first and it looks great, but my question is, is it normal for the orange pad and that swirl remover that I used to NOT leave a flawless finish behind? Like I said the paint looks great, but when the sun is shining on it, it reflects in a weird little way and if you look just right you can see very fine, tiny little, "swirls/scratches" I don't really wanna even call them swirls or scratches because they are that fine. I just want to see if the next step (Wolfgangs glaze) with the white pad will remove these. Or did I polish too long or not long enough? Thanks for any help or advice guys.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, it's normal to have to finish up with a less abrasive polish and pad to remove swirls left by heavy polishing. However, you can work in too long (dry polish) and possibly leave more swirls than need be. I just helped a friend of mine with a black C5 'Vette polish some light scratches using Menzerna Super IP and an orange pad, and that stuff finished better (less swirling) than anything I have used so far.
I'm not familiar with Wofgang glaze but a true "glaze" product usually has no actual corrective ability. Maybe try finishing with a white pad and something like Blackfire Scratch and Swirl Remover or 3M Perfect-It 3000.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
What's a Sticky?

I got it taken care of. Being this was my first time using a PC and the hood was the first place I did, I think I just used a bit too much polish. I think when I buffed it off, since there was a little too much polish, it just streaked a little and appeared to look swirled.