Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Pushbutton Engine Start Mod How To

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default still have the key?

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
gotcam? do u still have to use the key then? It looks like u have the ignition hooked up as a toggle switch?
yeah i still need the key to start the vehicle.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Here is my push button start.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Nice writeup.

About the Keyless startup, everyone is forgetting one thing. I mentioned it on mp3car as well, The steering column lock. Without the key in the ignition, your wheel is locked. You would have to bypass that as well.

As for the bluetooth with the phone and all of that, in theory its a good idea. I have a carpc, but i lose my bluetooth connection with my phone about once everytwo weeks and have to re-pair the two. Im not sure if there is a lease that times out like for an ip address or what. Also, what happens if you lose your phone? can't start your car. Phone battery go dead? cant start your car. Using a bluetooth device, and your phone isnt capable of pairing two devices at once? cant start your car. Theres a lot of downsides to it.

Also with a car pc, for people who dont know, you can be very limited on what operating system you use and such since processor power is usually relatively weak. Also, if you want to use a "front end" (a graphic user interface to make your carpc look like those of higher end cars) and you are not a straight up computer/software engineer, you'll be confined to older versions of windows.

I like the idea of keyless-go (a Mercedes-Benz term). Ive been mulling over a way to do it, with a solenoid operated steering column lock for a while now, but consumer tech for this kind of feature isnt out there, and im not quite good enough to home brew my own from scratch.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ imo its easier to loose your keys then a cell phone. they fall out of pockets easier. and my htc touch has an excellent battery so unless i was usin internet all day that wouldnt happen.

the main problem i see is battery drain. im bringing my car to college next year and might not drive it for more than a week which by then the computer searching might drain my battery so it wont start (even though its a red top).

as far as reliability, you could make it so the regular key works. keep it on you and use it in emergency. its not heavy, and the cool factor is still there and you can impress people even while still keeping the reg key on you.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the original "Pirte" write-up
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht
Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zfastss
Here is the original "Pirte" write-up
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht
Good stuff man. That writeup should be copied to the LS1Tech server so it doesnt get lost again.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

whats the gold clip on the side of the switch for?? do i need it
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Here is another alternative for having a keyless push button start. I've had this working in my ElCamino for about 4 months and I love it. I bought a Gallotech all in one Push Button Starter and Car alarm. It has a button switch that can be located just about anywhere that you want and you only need a small hole in the dash. I put it in easy reach so I didn’t have to reach way over to the cig lighter. It is a key FOB activated remote entry that disables the starter when it is in the door locked or armed mode.
When I first installed it I set it up so I would have to insert the key and turn it to ON. Eventually I wanted to eliminate the key all together. I installed a toggle switch to take the place of the ignition switch; I then disabled the locking column and removed the lock tumbler. This was not as bad as I first thought it would be. About that later. So here's how it works. I unlock the doors using the FOB button. Get in and flip the toggle switch on. Push the start button and go. Here is the best part. When I turn the car off and lock the door with the FOB it completely immobilizes the starter. You’d have to be an electronic genious to figure out how to bypass it. If someone breaks in they won't be able to start the car (even if they turn the toggle switch on) and all the time the alarm will be blaring. It probably isn't as safe as having a locking key column but in my area when they steel cars now they just pick them up and carry them away anyway. Oh, one other problem this unit solves, it automatically disengages all of the accessories during starting which is the right way to do it.
I cut and pasted the Gallotech drawings that I got on line and modified the installation drawing to show the wiring of the toggle switch and attached it below. Here is the Gallotech link so you can see the unit. They also have some great wiring diagrams for the ignition switch color codes for all kinds of cars.
http://www.gallotech.com

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about disabling the steering column lock ??
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Here is what I'm using

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RFID-Push-Bu...item45fd460863
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Launching!

I'm still stuck on the steering column lock!!!

Quick Reply: Pushbutton Engine Start Mod How To