Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went the the LTx Shootout a few weeks back and met alot of great people. One of them I met was Jennifer (ZGOBYBY) We got to talking and told her I was looking for a SS spoiler. Turns out she knew where one was, although it was damaged. She ended up buying it for me, drove down from Michigan to deliver it, gave it to me and refused to let me pay for it. Top notch person in my book!

The spoiler itself is rough (severe understatement) but is a true GM SS spoiler so after working at a bodyshop for awhile, I feel I may be able to save this spoiler. If not, it will be a nice wall trophy!

Now for some pics...

Authentic GM SS spoiler...wonder what happened to cause the damage??

This is going to be the hardest part to fix, the corner is busted and pretty much just hanging on by a hair...

Another view of the damaged end...Also you can see where the top panel has seperated from the bottom...

Another look at the panel seperation...if this wasnt a GM spoiler, it would be in the trash...

Although just look like spider web cracks, these are deep and you can feel them with your fingernails, probably have to take this down quite abit with 40 grit...

The spoiler on the car...BTW, I need a brake light if anyone has an extra?

Lines up pretty good however (cant tell though since this is just sitting on the car not bolted down)

Also, I started scuffing the front clip for paint. No major repairs on the front clip so just went over it with 320 grit sandpaper...

Trying to decide if I want to run a grill or just fill in the notches on the front bumper...Thoughts???

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spoiler was free Mike... I have the hookup. Oh, and don't forget the bracket from your trans (came off my other trans I have laying around). LOL... Anywho, fill the front clip notches. LS1-style front ends look great without that POS greyish-looking front panel.
Old 09-26-2010 | 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Picked up a LS1 style spoiler made by The Spoiler Company today from MjMaro (Great guy to work with btw, I ended up doing a three way trade for this, traded my dual exhaust to a friend who bought the spoiler for me) I ended up putting the damaged one in the garage for now. I will fix it down the road, but at least I have something until then and while this replica doesnt fit perfect, its not too bad. Will take some more pics Tuesday so people can decide for themselves if they want this spoiler or save for a GM.

Now to fill in the holes on my 1/4 panel from the old spoiler and start painting the car again!

Last edited by Black94Z28; 09-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2010 | 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

And what did you do with the red one, that was damaged? Or is that it?
Old 09-26-2010 | 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Picked up a LS1 style spoiler today...

u got this from ebay right? my freind got one to he sold it..if u compare it to the oem on u will be mad..lol i think u should get the red one and fix it and sell this one..u will notice it dont fit right and in the back the lines go straight down but the oem one curves..idk if u care but just gunna let u know i dont liek lil thinks like that..lol fix the red one =]
Old 09-26-2010 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flyinZ
And what did you do with the red one, that was damaged? Or is that it?
Nah, this is The Spoiler Companys spoiler. Im saving the red one for a rainy day project when I am bored.

Originally Posted by 94maro
u got this from ebay right? my freind got one to he sold it..if u compare it to the oem on u will be mad..lol i think u should get the red one and fix it and sell this one..u will notice it dont fit right and in the back the lines go straight down but the oem one curves..idk if u care but just gunna let u know i dont liek lil thinks like that..lol fix the red one =]
Yeah, I believe this is made from The Spoiler Company. Doesnt fit like OEM but its not TOO far off. Im picky with my car so Im not sure how much this will bother me once its painted. If it bugs me enough I will fix the other one, but for now, it looks good enough.
Old 09-26-2010 | 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I could help, looking forward to seeing this car when it is finished!
Old 09-27-2010 | 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The GM one I brought you fits better for sure, but time is of the essence with your project. Fix that red one though!
Old 10-23-2010 | 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stay tuned guys...

Just dropped the Camaro off at my buddys garage (barn) to get the LS1 front clip painted black to match the rest of the car. He also is going to paint my SS spoiler I picked up along with the stock taillight panel. (I wanted the stock on so I can get the stainless CAMARO inserts)

Drove over in a bad thunderstorm after laying under the car in pouring rain filling the differential since it was my last thing to do before driving the car after "detuning" it, but minus the alignment was off a bit (put the stock steering wheel back on wrong I guess) the car drove really nice and was good to drive the Camaro after sitting for several months!

When I get the car back, still need to install the front sway bar, windshield wiper arms, cd player and speakers, and locate a LS1 HVAC control *****, along with a final detail/touch up.

Pics soon...
Old 10-24-2010 | 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thought Id share a "Teaser Pic" that my buddy sent to me on my phone. I had to work today so I wasnt able to be there when he was painting my Camaro.

He pulled off the front bumper, rear spoiler, and taillight panel and paint those seperate. Said everything came out REAL NICE! Cant wait to see it in person!

Front clip with paint finally!!!

More pics as soon as I get them!
Old 10-24-2010 | 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

must b nice to have a paint job and all nice matching parts now Idk who has deeper pockets you or AChotrod
Old 10-24-2010 | 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

98+ front end?

Sorry just being honest. Your 93-97 front end was much nicer. I was just about to comment on how nice your car looks until I saw the last page.

The rest looks promising though, hope to see more soon.
Old 10-25-2010 | 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
must b nice to have a paint job and all nice matching parts now Idk who has deeper pockets you or AChotrod
This is coming from someone who just shelled out 850 cash for some cylinder heads???
Old 10-26-2010 | 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

bwhahahahhaa Must be nice. Lets see them pics you textd me about
Old 10-26-2010 | 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
bwhahahahhaa Must be nice. Lets see them pics you textd me about
Ask and you shall recieve...Granted I just got the car back last night so given this "lovely Chicago weather" I was outside cleaning the car up in heavy wind and drizzle just to get some pics. Given the weather, the pics came out good..

After a quick wash in the rain...

This is my computers wallpaper pic...note the "LTx Shootout" decal on the rear window...Lets the Mustang guys know they just got beat by an LT1!

OH YEAH!!! Sexy! Still undecided about a grill and whether to get clear turn signal lenses or tint the orange ones...

Headlights just resting in there for the pics, Whister mod is done but want to repolish the lens. Also either need to raise the back up or drop the front more.

Side view...Still undecided what to do for fender emblems or I do have the silver hockey stripe kit in the garage...

Picture of the new SS wing and taillight panel painted. Still need to fill the old Dick Harroll spoiler holes. Gonna plug them up and come spring, weld the holes shut and repaint the 1/4 panels.

Last edited by Black94Z28; 10-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2010 | 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

man that looks great!! awesome job
Old 10-26-2010 | 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn bro car looks good But I also like the lt1 front end better. BUt hell man this looks good too because I know what the car used to look like. I cant wait to see it out this year
Old 10-26-2010 | 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some "guy" told me today that our LT1 front-ends look cheap and outdated. Daaaaaaaayyymmmm, that's harsh!
Old 10-26-2010 | 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Some "guy" told me today that our LT1 front-ends look cheap and outdated. Daaaaaaaayyymmmm, that's harsh!
I just hated the headlights, seemed like they could have done better with the light setup. And plus you couldnt see worth a damn at night. The LS1 lights just seem more modern.
Old 10-26-2010 | 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

You got those front panels lined up PERFECT BRO!!! It looks factory fresh...

Quick Reply: Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread