Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED LS1 tail light project finally underway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
looks great. definitely need the entire brake region to light, or at least most.

why does your 3rd stay lit always? or is that the sun?
i need to install diodes on the brake light wires so that there is no feedback. still waiting on them
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

An LED is a diode though so another diode won't really help anything.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about a resistor? i don't really know much about anything with these but i know you need to add a resistor if you put an ss spoiler on an lt1 camaro
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
what about a resistor? i don't really know much about anything with these but i know you need to add a resistor if you put an ss spoiler on an lt1 camaro
you shouldnt need one. mine is just giving feedback because of my tail lights being all LED
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you no longer have any bulbs plugged in (I assume you just left them out) how do you tell the car not the flip the f*&# out?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
An LED is a diode though so another diode won't really help anything.
An LED is a type of diode, one that emits light. a diode in general is a "one way check valve" for electricity. this is why LEDs are polarity biased and they have a + and - side. if you run two lines of power both to the + side of the LED theres nothing to keep your system from feeding back into itself.

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
you shouldnt need one. mine is just giving feedback because of my tail lights being all LED
actually, you need them because you have two signals going to the same bulbs. if you have 8 volts going to an LED for the tail light, and then you run 11 volts to the same LED for the brake light, that 11 volts will feed back into the tail light wire (which is no big deal, its already on), but your problem arises when the opposite happens. because those wires are connected at the LED (brake and tail power wires), when the tail lights are on, the brake lights get some feedback.

remember, wire is bidirectional
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast01z28
An LED is a type of diode, one that emits light. a diode in general is a "one way check valve" for electricity. this is why LEDs are polarity biased and they have a + and - side. if you run two lines of power both to the + side of the LED theres nothing to keep your system from feeding back into itself.

actually, you need them because you have two signals going to the same bulbs. if you have 8 volts going to an LED for the tail light, and then you run 11 volts to the same LED for the brake light, that 11 volts will feed back into the tail light wire (which is no big deal, its already on), but your problem arises when the opposite happens. because those wires are connected at the LED (brake and tail power wires), when the tail lights are on, the brake lights get some feedback.

Man I'm glad I have an electrician as a fried to help me wire this crap!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fast01z28

Yes I know how an LED works, I'm an EET major I thought the third brake light was simply +V and ground with +V switched and didn't think of how it was wired in with the rest of the system. Makes sense now!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lotus289

Man I'm glad I have an electrician as a fried to help me wire this crap!
Hahahahahaha!!!!!! I can't wait to start on this.....
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe a customer
Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) yes all the LEDs in the tail lights are round top, the front turn signals are flat top
2) for the front turn signals i used orange, rear turn signals i used white, rear brake lights i used red
3) 5000MCD on front turns, 15000MCD on rear turns, 15000MCD on rear brakes.

i would recommend as high as possible. i only got 5000mcd for the flat LEDs because only 1 or 2 sellers on ebay offers them.
You lights would be brighter if they were all white except for the turns. A red LED behind a red lense will filter most of the light so they seem dim. At least thats what I read. Makes sense...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squee
You lights would be brighter if they were all white except for the turns. A red LED behind a red lense will filter most of the light so they seem dim. At least thats what I read. Makes sense...
its actually the opposite. red light flows through a red lens way more than white light would. im redoing everything anyways in superflux LEDs. The tail lights were not as bright as i wanted so im doing everything superflux LED again. i wont be posting up until its all done again.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

its actually the opposite. red light flows through a red lens way more than white light would. im redoing everything anyways in superflux LEDs. The tail lights were not as bright as i wanted so im doing everything superflux LED again. i wont be posting up until its all done again.
he's right, think of it like this: a white light emits all colors of the spectrum and the red lense filters out everything except red. red LED's emit red and very little is filtered out, meaning the full 15000 mcd is making it through the lense.

and you should use amber led's for your rear turn signal too.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigburb
he's right, think of it like this: a white light emits all colors of the spectrum and the red lense filters out everything except red. red LED's emit red and very little is filtered out, meaning the full 15000 mcd is making it through the lense.

and you should use amber led's for your rear turn signal too.
that was my thought process when doing mine.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

still waiting on some PCBs and superflux's in the mail from besthongkong.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Again, from 2009.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the guys in this thread said they cut them apart, did you bother reading the thread at all?

Quick Reply: LED LS1 tail light project finally underway...