Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

this weather is doing wonders for my car thats in the garage...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it got down to the -30s with the wind chill early last week and got up to 68 yesterday. Thats a bit more extreme..
Old 12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtymer386
Well it got down to the -30s with the wind chill early last week and got up to 68 yesterday. Thats a bit more extreme..
Wow, and I thought 20* was cold!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

We went from 30's to 63 here. My car was wet when I lifted the cover. I took the cover off and it dried in about 45 minutes.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Wow, and I thought 20* was cold!
Ya, it didnt help either that over half of the city was without power from the ice storm the night before. Luckily we didnt lose power at my house.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, it didnt help either that over half of the city was without power from the ice storm the night before. Luckily we didnt lose power at my house.
That's cause you got LS1 Power..
-30* .. Holy crap I wouldn't even go outside, let alone open a window. It was 17* a few weeks back, thats way more than enough for me. Having a muscle car in the winter is depressing.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Time for climate controlled storage! Whats wrong with you guys? Step up to the plate now! LOL
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Launching!

here in iowa it was -20's last week and 50's two days ago i had a pretty good layer of water that i didnt look at until i read this post and it was frozen by time i looked at so had fun getting the ice off.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

**** this weather. i hate illinois sometimes. this week we get like 2 feet of snow here and then the day after its 60 degrees out and then its 40 at night. almost all the snows melted and everythings soaking wet. ah the joys on the midwest lol.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
That's cause you got LS1 Power..
-30* .. Holy crap I wouldn't even go outside, let alone open a window. It was 17* a few weeks back, thats way more than enough for me. Having a muscle car in the winter is depressing.
I hear that man. I do enjoy the winter time though, or at least I did pre-TA..
Every time it snows or is shitty outside, it makes me feel good that the bird is tucked away.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear that man. I do enjoy the winter time though, or at least I did pre-TA..
Every time it snows or is shitty outside, it makes me feel good that the bird is tucked away.
Even though I dont get the harsh winter here in houston, I wish I had a garage to keep mine in. This is making me hold out on a paint job , because I hate to do it and then leave out in the elements again.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had this problem last year..hell my coated headers were stating to rust Since then i insulated and sheeted my garage...and never leave the door open...have not had a problem yet. Seems like as soon as you open a door for any length of time...moisture everywhere BTW i have a one of those HUGE one car garages So i dont need to open it for another vehicle..like some of you might have to.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so after this little freeze/thaw we had last week where my car got all covered in dew/haze... i decided to QD it today... after i was done i hear this sound that sounds like someone is shaking a plastic grocery bag... i walk over to where it was (over by a large 8ft long bar on the far side of our garage) and the noise stops... then i see this tiny mouse run twords the back of the garage (presumibly where there is a hole that a mouse dug, or the back door that hasn't been opened since sometime in the late 90s probably has a gap big enough for a small mouse to get through)

i hope none of them get into my car. i have it covered and the cover hangs down over the tailpipes.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
so after this little freeze/thaw we had last week where my car got all covered in dew/haze... i decided to QD it today... after i was done i hear this sound that sounds like someone is shaking a plastic grocery bag... i walk over to where it was (over by a large 8ft long bar on the far side of our garage) and the noise stops... then i see this tiny mouse run twords the back of the garage (presumibly where there is a hole that a mouse dug, or the back door that hasn't been opened since sometime in the late 90s probably has a gap big enough for a small mouse to get through)

i hope none of them get into my car. i have it covered and the cover hangs down over the tailpipes.
How did the QD work for you in the cold? I left mine alone. Havent touched it yet.. My poor TTMs were soaked. But when i get them on the car i wash them anyways so it is ok that water got on them.

As for the mouse, yeah i am sure that i have mice in my garage too. My cover hangs very low, plus it has elastic on it so it hugs the car. But i alos put rags in the tail pipes. But i remember back in 2006 when i sent Bo my TB to get P&P, i put a rag into my intake and i found mouse poop on the fvckign towel i was i was like man i hope that little fugger didn't chew any wires. I looked an dhi and low and everythign was ok
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

As you all remeber couple weeks ago the weather got down to the neagitives then warmed up to like 60* and everyones cars had moisture all over it..

Well i finally went to my moms house to see what the effects were. Remember i did go check my car out to see how wet it was. Well i lifted the cover off, no a single water spot or anything. You could not even tell the car had moisture on it, the day when i went to look at it.

Also my my stock chrome rims (on the car) and TTMs (off the car) all looked like they had been soaked with water. Again when i went to look at them today, the chrome was still blinging and my TTMs were not affected at all either.

So i guess you do not have to wipe the car down or anything. Mine still looks flawless the day i put it away for storage
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

i had the cover off mine again today.. the QD worked fine last time. i spent a few hrs in the garage taking out the seats preparing for the upholstry that should come in 2 weeks or so. i'm gonna try disassembling one of the front seats i think tomorrow or thursday. i'm supposed to get my new upper pad for the drivers seat thursday as well. once i get the upholstry i have to take it to a shop to have the plastic side pieces removed from my old covers and sewn into the new ones
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a insulation issue. My car in the garage under the cover is like I just waxed it before I put it away, not even dust on it and starts up great, I do once a month for 20min. My other friend however, has his camaro like yours in a garage thats just basically metal and has no insulation and he gets the same thing that happens to yours with the water marks and ****. No biggie just let it dry its only water, not snow or salt haha
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

hmm... we have 50 degree changes too, but it still never gets above twenty
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Mine hasn't done that and we've had swings from 25* to 70*. I guess it's not enough of an extreme. Hmmm.
And it won't if there isn't any humidity in the air. thats what causes this. If the temp is low with high humidity it'll put a lite layer of frost on everything & then melt off as it warms up. If there is low humidity it can be 0* & not cause a layer of frost to form cause there is nothing in the air for it to freeze.

Quick Reply: this weather is doing wonders for my car thats in the garage...