Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

ANYONE knows are there any HARD-TOP for fabric Convertible(not ttop) TransAms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will start a feasability study into manufacturing one and will let you know. This kind of project would take a while before becoming a reality.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome, cant wait to see what you guys come up with.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stroker396@APF
I will start a feasability study into manufacturing one and will let you know. This kind of project would take a while before becoming a reality.
I think you should produce it with a different look..
May be a ferrari 360spider rear window look (same at bmw 6Series vert).. or little rear window and as I said may be Viper GTS top, it must look different.. and not like t tops..

btw, will you give my rake off for that idea ? :pP
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by Stroker396@APF
Hey !
are there any evolution for F-body hard top??
Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Rockstar

Suscribed, I'll buy one if they are ever made.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
I like the third brake light under the drivers side rear bumper...
That rice poser is trying to imitate European cars because overseas they have those on most cars in the rear and their called...get this; "fog lights" so someone doesn't hit you in the rear while cruising on the autobahn @ 130km in the dense fog.

BTW-NO hardtop for me, I bought my car cause it IS a vert and I DO drive with the top down in the Winter too But I do understand about up north guys and being a daily driver and all...

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 10-02-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Question Still no development??

Still no development??
Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lightbulb

I gave this a thought many times. Theres a company called smooth lines that makes these for vettes, miatas, stangs, but no fbody.

To keep prices down, one 'd make something similar to hardtop covers like for corvettes out of material used for body kits.
But use some type of glass/plastic/windshield material in the roof part of this "hardtop" to keep prices down ,avoid weight.

I am talking about the part that would cover the back & front seats area, basically so it 'd be like a panoramic roof with side support.

In the back it 'll be held down like how the 3 piece boot cover normally does, in the middle it will be where the side boot covers slide into.

In the front, it will be latched into where the top normally goes. Obviously the back glass will have a defroster and the whole top will have weather stripping and adjusted for windows. Price should be fairly cheap, since the mustang tops go for $1300 for an all fiberglass top.

For a visual, combine this.

and these

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 11-25-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be sweet..
Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Hate to burst bubbles, there is no market for this. This will be an expensive piece, no matter how you slice it. Not enough f-body owners can afford/will buy this piece to warrant manufacturing this in volume. Of those left that can/would, the price that has any profit left in it for the manufacturer will be too high for them to justify. I think you are spinning your wheels here. I would like to be wrong on this but I don't think that's the case.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Hate to burst bubbles, there is no market for this. This will be an expensive piece, no matter how you slice it. Not enough f-body owners can afford/will buy this piece to warrant manufacturing this in volume. Of those left that can/would, the price that has any profit left in it for the manufacturer will be too high for them to justify. I think you are spinning your wheels here. I would like to be wrong on this but I don't think that's the case.
Unfortunately you're right.
I've considered making one myself, although time and money are tight right now, I have free access to fiberglass mold making supplies and facilities.
But the most important thing that I can't get right now that I need is a donor top frame and hardware to base it off of.
Maybe I can get it started after New Years.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ASC used to do a lot of one off stuff like that. They had to of been profitable but your right there isn't much of a market. A company could make it profitable if they had the proper tooling and enough products to allow them to absorb a loss if it didn't work out.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
ASC used to do a lot of one off stuff like that. They had to of been profitable but your right there isn't much of a market. A company could make it profitable if they had the proper tooling and enough products to allow them to absorb a loss if it didn't work out.
I know what you guys are saying.

I wanted to contribute my idea because I thought about these before as well.

In case someone reading it decides to make 'em,it would be useful in the NE winters/ changing up the appearance.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I know what you guys are saying.

I wanted to contribute my idea because I thought about these before as well.

In case someone reading it decides to make 'em,it would be useful in the NE winters/ changing up the appearance.
Not all good ideas result in a product that is profitable. Hell I'd buy it if it came out, the wet weather here in Washington isn't soft top friendly. Its a good idea it is just one of those deals that the market that may have been there in 01 isn't there in 09.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 AM
FormerVendor

BINGO, as much as I would like to make something like this, I own 2 verts, but I also live in socal and have no need for it. He hits the nail on the head here. It sounds great until you slap a $3000 tag on it and then you only have 5 buyers for it and you lose money in the end.

Sorry, thats the reality. I am making the coupe spoiler now for the vert based off some valuable wisdom which was make it for yourself and if you happen to make money off it great but don't make it just to make money.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

My other idea is to use the RK tonneau covers that would extend from the trunk and cover the rear seat area.

This would cover half of the cabin, similar to how it is on the Pontiac Solstice 'vert.

A fiberglass structure could be made in middle. Basically like its on this Honda del sol

A targa top type would cover the front part of the cabin instead of the soft top like shown in the picture.

Now I don't know how much visually appealing this will be on 4th gens, but it was an design idea that I had.

I 'll try to get someone to photoshop it for a visual, Just for kicks I guess.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 11-26-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into it awhile ago. Was just taking a fiberglass top already available from other companies and making it fit. $2500-$300 with NO profit and NO shipping factored in.

This is one of those things that if you REALLY want it then you have to get off your but and have it made for your own car... It can be done, mass producing is just not feasible.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea, its a shame theres no market, id buy one
Old 11-29-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
yea, its a shame theres no market, id buy one
x2.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

something like this

Quick Reply: ANYONE knows are there any HARD-TOP for fabric Convertible(not ttop) TransAms?