Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone powdercoat their CME tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone powdercoat their CME tips?

So I had planned on having my whole cme tips polished and just have the lips of them highly polished and then have a clear powerdcoat put over them so I wouldn't have to worry about polishing them on a regular basis since the car is a summer dd. Well my friend polished them up and he said the lips are like a mirror finish but they rest are kind of wavy plus the guy that does the powdercoated said the clear would stick a lot better if there was something for it to stick to so I'm pry going to have the whole tip except the lip powdercoated in like a titanium and then have the lip highly polished. Anyone done this before?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody has done this/hear of it done?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I'll pry be getting it done within the next couple weeks... still nobody who has done it or has pics?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought i heard someone mention it takes away the shininess when you do that over polished/chrome calipers...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
i thought i heard someone mention it takes away the shininess when you do that over polished/chrome calipers...
I guess the main part of the tip though looks a little wavy and you can see any little imperfection in it where if I were to powdercoat the tips you wouldn't see that and it wouldn't have to been cleaned up near as often. I think it would shine more to because I'm going to have a clear powdercoat over the other one. Either way its going to look a lot better than what they did before haha.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Por

I was going to paint mine with that Briliant silver POR 15 paint and leave the lips alone (POLISHED)
Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i seen some pix on here before, you gonna look for them
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen this done once before. It looked gorgeous. It was done in what looked to be black chrome. I saw the car in person, but this is the only picture that I have...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnat
I was going to paint mine with that Briliant silver POR 15 paint and leave the lips alone (POLISHED)
Yeah thats like what I had mine done it. The tips are were done in Stardust and cleared and then the lips are polished. I haven't actually seen them yet because a friend of mine dropped them off at home and I'm down at school but here's the only pic I've got of them right now, cell phone pic. They are a little darker than i wanted, but I think they should look good on the car. Not bad for $20 right? Btw, I had the piece on the back welded on so that they were a little sturdier.