Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

it's gettin' close!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like the only thing ill be able to say when this car is done is Flawless! awesome build thread...
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Such an Amazing Job with such great attention to detail. I have to give it to you. You know your **** and have one hell of a ride that you have built. Amazing Quality that you have put in to this build
Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02ArcticZ
I feel like the only thing ill be able to say when this car is done is Flawless! awesome build thread...
Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Such an Amazing Job with such great attention to detail. I have to give it to you. You know your **** and have one hell of a ride that you have built. Amazing Quality that you have put in to this build
Thanks fellas

I tried getting some more significant progress done yesterday. The weather was perfect and i was actually in the mood to get something done, but about 5 minutes into it i got a SPLITTING headache and just about couldn't move.

I did manage to get my front hubs painted black, so they don't look like rusty *** bolted to the shiny black K-member. I bolted on the clutch and installed the pilot bearing. I also put the headers on. Here's how it all sits today:

I've been pretty excited about this build from the get-go, but now i can sit back and look at it and finally see it coming together. I'm reall hoping my motorcycle sells soon so i can finish it up. Once that engine goes into the car, and i mount the torque arm and run fuel lines, i'm done. I plan on getting a Meziere EWP and TCI's new LS-series starter for it, but other than that, i can't quite afford to finish the build like i want so it may end up sitting for a while longer. I was really hoping to make the Street Machine Nationals in Little Rock, AR this year. The show is usually held in Springfield, MO (45 minutes from me) but it was moved this year. Dynomax exhaust usually has a mobile dyno and have a competition at each stop and i was hoping to blow some minds in the NA street class, but it's not looking like it will happen ....this year...
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice! that bumper support makes me itch though lol. id end up trashin it when you werent lookin if i were around lol
Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished reading your whole thread on your car. All i can say is WOW! very nice. As for going slow, I can totally relate to that, due to the economy. Sometimes, when it does go slow it opens your mind to other things that you might of missed while rushing to finish the job.
There is one question I do have for you. In one of your pictures, you are showing a flaring tool for some brake lines I'm assuming. Are you flaring your own with that tool? If so that flaring tool looks like a 45deg flare. If you are going to use any type of AN fitting to match that flare it will leak. AN fittings are 37 degree flares, plus if you are using stainless steel tubing you will need a tool that will flare stainless without cracking.
Again, great job on the car. nice and clean. Hope you understand what I'm saying about the brake lines. Hate to see something happen after all of that hard work you have done crash your car due to something that might of been overlooked.

Keep up the good work, and keep us all posted.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mebuildit
I just finished reading your whole thread on your car. All i can say is WOW! very nice. As for going slow, I can totally relate to that, due to the economy. Sometimes, when it does go slow it opens your mind to other things that you might of missed while rushing to finish the job.
There is one question I do have for you. In one of your pictures, you are showing a flaring tool for some brake lines I'm assuming. Are you flaring your own with that tool? If so that flaring tool looks like a 45deg flare. If you are going to use any type of AN fitting to match that flare it will leak. AN fittings are 37 degree flares, plus if you are using stainless steel tubing you will need a tool that will flare stainless without cracking.
Again, great job on the car. nice and clean. Hope you understand what I'm saying about the brake lines. Hate to see something happen after all of that hard work you have done crash your car due to something that might of been overlooked.

Keep up the good work, and keep us all posted.
The flaring tool came with the ABS delete/linelock from SJM. It's all supposed to be the right stuff, but i'll be sure to double check
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

hey man what kind of exhaust do you plan on running?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ennovations
hey man what kind of exhaust do you plan on running?
2" headers - 3.5" collectors - 3.5" pipes into Flowmaster Y-merge - 4" exit with a 4" Dynomax bullet dumped.....you know, real stealthy sounding
Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
2" headers - 3.5" collectors - 3.5" pipes into Flowmaster Y-merge - 4" exit with a 4" Dynomax bullet dumped.....you know, real stealthy sounding
You need to get that thing running. I wanna hear it. Im not sure what i wanna do with my exhaust. I was planning on have 3.5" cutouts after the headers and then a 3" catback. but i also think itd be sweet to have a 4" bullet.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

badass... so ur going to fab up a 3.5" to 4" y pipe with a flowmaster merge i guess. that was my main question cause I have some 3.5" collectors to build from too and was wondering what my options were and how everything is going to tuck up. I'm sure the exhaust is down the road a little more for you but post some pics of it when you get it done!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ennovations
badass... so ur going to fab up a 3.5" to 4" y pipe with a flowmaster merge i guess. that was my main question cause I have some 3.5" collectors to build from too and was wondering what my options were and how everything is going to tuck up. I'm sure the exhaust is down the road a little more for you but post some pics of it when you get it done!
I know kooks, well i think kooks, sells y-pipes that go from 3-1/2" to either a 3,3 1/2" or 4" collector.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty certain Kooks will build you whatever you want. A lot of shops will if you're willing to pay whatever it costs them to make a one-off part or use a material they don't normally use.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
I'm pretty certain Kooks will build you whatever you want. A lot of shops will if you're willing to pay whatever it costs them to make a one-off part or use a material they don't normally use.
True that. Thats why they call it cu$tom. Haha
Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea... But i was talking about all their "instock" parts with Part #s
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Yea... But i was talking about all their "instock" parts with Part #s
flowmaster makes a y merge that goes from 3''-3.5'' and one that goes from 3.5''-4''. Great merge too, WAAY better than most out there for the 4th gens...but you have to weld or clamp it on and have the rest of the piping made or use an existing ypipe first and weld in the flowmaster one. Thats probably the cheapest route: get the cheapest ORY you can find, hack off the y merge and weld on the flowmaster one and now you have a great flowing ORY and didtn have to spend $700 just to get a custom one made...

Kooks does make an ORY but I would call to find out exactly what they have for the fbodies and their sizes, etc. because a lot of times websites dont show ALL the products. Plus they use a flowmaster type merge that works much better than smashing two pipes together and calling it a ypipe merge, those sound like complete **** compared to a quality built one.

Speaking of sound....running those 2'' LTs and a 4'' merge to a dumped bullet muffler is going to be hell to the ears . Running 1 3/4'' LTs to a dumped bullet sounded like hell on my lil 347....Do not plan on using a phone in the car and just pull the radio and speakers now, those will be useless, haha

but when you have such a beautiful car and an amazinng motor, that **** is a symphony to the ears anyway and beats any music ALL DAY!

Cant wait to hear her start up!!!!

If I missed this sorry, but whats in store for weight reduction?... becuase I read you want to keep the car stock looking but want it to be light.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

hes getting ready to take of the front bumper support lol
Old 08-19-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
If I missed this sorry, but whats in store for weight reduction?... becuase I read you want to keep the car stock looking but want it to be light.
AC cut out, tubular everything in the front/rear, power steering replaced with a manual rack. I'm not sure what the final weight will be, but i'm guessing it will be close to stock because even though i've cut some fat off, every single part in the engine is the same or heavier than a stock LS1, especially the block.

Originally Posted by Driftunit
hes getting ready to take of the front bumper support lol
....can't have a saggy bumper. If i find the time/money to make/buy a lighter piece, i will.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

whew lol..
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
I know kooks, well i think kooks, sells y-pipes that go from 3-1/2" to either a 3,3 1/2" or 4" collector.
Kooks does have off the shelf y pipes that goes into a 3 1/2" and 4" outlet but they still merge like crap. Its the same as any other kooks merge and they havent even heard about the flowmaster or american racing merge so there is no point in trying to get them to build one for you like that, unless you live in ny and can take ur car to them...

But yea man that sounds like a killer exhaust! The reason I was asking is cause we are putting together a 408 right now and have kooks 1 7/8" stepped to 2" with 3 1/2" collectors and are unsure of what exhaust to run... it would be nice to find an off the shelf system that will bolt right up but more than likely we will end up doing something like ur setup and building a y pipe with a flowmaster merge.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I had a piece of scrap painted SOM by my painter yesterday and took to my powdercoater to match.....couldn't find anything perfect but found an orange/bronze metallic that is close, close enough for brake calipers. Hopefully today i can get my calipers smoothed down and ready for PC, but the powder won't be here until monday.

On a side note, any thinking about painting something SOM might want to know that it's around ~$800/gallon, or so i'm told. It's actually 7 colors and one pearl mixed together. The paint code is 633H if interested and is pretty difficult to mix in small quantities. The powder we decided to use is $24/pound and it takes 2.5-3 pounds to do brake calipers.

Quick Reply: it's gettin' close!