Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

it's gettin' close!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, man. Welds look good too. You used a TIG, correct?

That should sound pretty good, with a muffler. Not too loud, not too quiet.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks everyone! it's been an exciting build and it's about to come to a close! i just put the Y-pipe on for fun and hooked up my wideband. I started the car after resetting the ECM and it ran nearly PERFECT. The car has been rich and rough running and wouldn't stay alive, but now it's all good. the O2 sensors were too close to free open air. i think i'll need to drill the TB hole out a tad more (already a 1/4" ), but it's great. i took a video of my gauges for Steve (Frost) to look at and let him see what's going on currently, i'll go ahead and post it here though so you can kind of hear it.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...00604-1853.flv

The gaues you see there are a Innovate DB wideband gauge hooked to my LC-1, fuel pressure, and coolant temp. i'm holding a scan gauge showing IAC and throttle %.

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Looks good, man. Welds look good too. You used a TIG, correct?

That should sound pretty good, with a muffler. Not too loud, not too quiet.

Yeah it's mostly tig'd. one spot needed some mig because the gap was uneven and a tad big, nothing i couldn't handle, it was just faster and easier. i blended it smooth after i was done, not that it looked bad. i spend every day welding at work and it gets old. any time i can save a little time on home projects, i do

This hole is only 1" across and 1 1/8" deep

Some stainless to mild steel (309L)
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice welds, stack of dimes!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, damn dude. You sir, are talented.

Car sound nasty
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno if you've ever used Vband clamps before but I have. I've got them on my collectors and they leak. But, I have a feeling why mine leak: I just wrenched down on the clamp nut and called it a day. There's a board member that does a lot of work on Airplanes (which use Vbands a lot) and he said that the trick to getting a Vband clamp to seal is to tap it as you tighten it down. When you're beating on them you're helping the flange surfaces to seat perfectly together. If you just go hog wild on them you're probably not going to get a perfectly flush seal, which will give you a nice O2 polluting leak... like mine. I think tomorrow I'm going to try the smack/turn method and see if it doesn't seal up.

So you're going with duals again? Check out the build in my sig. If you have to go with 3.5" then it won't do you any good, but it's a unique x/h pipe hybrid made by flowmaster. Jmm98LS1 uses one too.

Awesome welds, btw.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I dunno if you've ever used Vband clamps before but I have. I've got them on my collectors and they leak. But, I have a feeling why mine leak: I just wrenched down on the clamp nut and called it a day. There's a board member that does a lot of work on Airplanes (which use Vbands a lot) and he said that the trick to getting a Vband clamp to seal is to tap it as you tighten it down. When you're beating on them you're helping the flange surfaces to seat perfectly together. If you just go hog wild on them you're probably not going to get a perfectly flush seal, which will give you a nice O2 polluting leak... like mine. I think tomorrow I'm going to try the smack/turn method and see if it doesn't seal up.

So you're going with duals again? Check out the build in my sig. If you have to go with 3.5" then it won't do you any good, but it's a unique x/h pipe hybrid made by flowmaster. Jmm98LS1 uses one too.

Awesome welds, btw.
No sir, i have not used V-bands before. i'll be sure to try the tapping method when tightening them. I don't know that i HAVE to have 3.5" pipe, but the headers have 3.5" collectors and the motor IS 454 cubic inches, i'd rather not reduce it down less than the header collectors.

I've got BIG clearance issues under the car as well, i doubt anything besides a one-off X-pipe will fit, and even that's a long shot. My exhaust guy had me inspired to try it, but at the time resources were limited, i.e. no V-bands, not enough tubing, not tight enough mandrel bends, etc...We did what we could with what we had. it turned out well and i have no regrets, but i'm really eager to see if true duals can be had.

Also, i checked out your thread. your setup looks great but never would fit in my car. my tranny crossmember and torque arm brace are screwing everything up. it's really tight under there. Also, i had a H-pipe setup before with single chamber flowmasters. The shop that built it beat in my floor pans like on MM98's car that you referenced. I was NOT happy with this...it made the underside look like **** (still does, even after beating it back down) and it made my rear seats sit up and crooked. it drove me nuts and i finally had to do away with it. People rarely get back there, but i couldn't stand the seats being like that.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

6LE Designs grille showed up today:

It's not installed yet, i'm going to get some black vinyl to put behind it. i don't really want to paint it, but i will if the vinyl doesn't work out.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good man! Thanks for your patience
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

yeah no problem, the grille looks awesome! money well spent
Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

update? numbers? miles on the setup?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djfury05
update? numbers? miles on the setup?
nope, sorry

actually i have put 1/4 mile on the setup...but it was driving around my neighborhood, not a track. The hood still isn't painted, the bumper is still sitting on my floor, and i learned during the test drive that it needs aligned, is too damn loud with no muffler (i get up at 4:45am to work), and the tires really are shot and shouldn't be driven on.

I've really not even looked at the car in a few days. i've been doing a lot of fishing, it's the only thing that can get me away from the car and as a bonus, it's free since i already own the equipment. The car costs an arm and a leg just to turn a wrench on anymore. i've been trying to save my money and pay stuff off so i can start saving for school or buying a house or whatever. The car is really close, but everything it still needs is $1000-$1500...not to mention i need some big & littles for the track.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

please post up pics after you do the vinyl please. i gotta take some time an go through this thread again... how long has this build been going on? GL

btw, how much for the black grille an does 6LE offer the old scholl SS emblems?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
please post up pics after you do the vinyl please. i gotta take some time an go through this thread again... how long has this build been going on? GL

btw, how much for the black grille an does 6LE offer the old scholl SS emblems?
what vinyl are you talking about?

here's the grille from his website http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=113
Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ww awesome job...

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 08-08-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you have any more pics of it with the bumper and everything back on? I've really enjoyed your build, great job.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size electrode were you using in that last weld with the 309 rod? That's some nice welds!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

i just used 3/32" 2% thoriated and 3/32" rod.

As for the car....it isn't much farther along. I've Bern really busy lately. In fact, as I type this I'm sitting at a naval shipyard in Philadelphia....the car should be getting the hood and bumper painted next week though....also I bought HP Tuners Pro
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice dude, can't wait to see some #'s.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

any updated pics man??
Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSmoken