Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

it's gettin' close!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIME FOR A BIG UPDATE AGAIN:

...nothing has changed

BUT, i have a dilema, which has been discussed before, but it still goes unresolved. What color should i paint my intake and/or valve covers/other pieces?

obviously orange comes to mind, but i'm thinking that might be overkill. i'm starting to think carbon fiber valve covers, and here's why:

i have GMPP valve covers now, and i like the raw look with the machined "CHEVROLET", but i kind of feel like something needs to be done to them. i'd like to paint/powdercoat them, leaving the letters machined-looking. i just hate to ruin them if i don't like the finished product.

the entire engine bay is sunset orange, the block is a LSX block, which is powdercoated chevy orange, and i need to figure out what colors/finishes the trim the engine bay in. i want to keep the "bling" to a minimum, i.e. not much (if any) mirror polished pieces. i like clean, OEM looking parts.

i've been debating on doing the intake in a gun metal color, SOM, or maybe silver. black is NOT an option. anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

damn thats nice
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
TIME FOR A BIG UPDATE AGAIN:

...nothing has changed

BUT, i have a dilema, which has been discussed before, but it still goes unresolved. What color should i paint my intake and/or valve covers/other pieces?

obviously orange comes to mind, but i'm thinking that might be overkill. i'm starting to think carbon fiber valve covers, and here's why:

i have GMPP valve covers now, and i like the raw look with the machined "CHEVROLET", but i kind of feel like something needs to be done to them. i'd like to paint/powdercoat them, leaving the letters machined-looking. i just hate to ruin them if i don't like the finished product.

the entire engine bay is sunset orange, the block is a LSX block, which is powdercoated chevy orange, and i need to figure out what colors/finishes the trim the engine bay in. i want to keep the "bling" to a minimum, i.e. not much (if any) mirror polished pieces. i like clean, OEM looking parts.

i've been debating on doing the intake in a gun metal color, SOM, or maybe silver. black is NOT an option. anybody have any ideas?
Pictures of your setup would help a lot, but I have to say that pic you posted is pure sex
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

that picture is from Katech, those are their new valve covers on what appears to be a LS7. MY setup, however, is ~750 miles away waiting on head gaskets. just picture a LSX block with TFS heads and a FAST intake...this thread is full of pictures of my car. see what ya'll can come up with...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

CF valve covers!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....and som intake
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

think so? i can't believe i would ever make myself spend $700 on valve covers...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

looks good
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

damn that motor is beautiful...i love it just like that...CF looks great
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

think so? i can't believe i would ever make myself spend $700 on valve covers...
i was gonna say do the cf too, but for that price tag no F%$@#@ way! stick with the chevrolet ones and powder coat them black, then do the intake in som.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's an idea:

Get them painted in a CF pattern. I believe sar on the board does work like that - it looks real.

I believe he quoted me $275 to do an intake.

Last edited by Spd-Kilz; 03-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
i was gonna say do the cf too, but for that price tag no F%$@#@ way! stick with the chevrolet ones and powder coat them black, then do the intake in som.
i agree do that or have them painted to look like cf like speed kills said
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

i can't do that. i've NEVER, EVER, seen faux CF that i liked. i can spot a fake from a mile away, even the really good looking ones, it drives me crazy. it's real, or i'm not having it.

on a side note, my Tick Performance adjustable master cylinder came in yesterday, i'll post up a couple pics of that in a bit.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i can't do that. i've NEVER, EVER, seen faux CF that i liked. i can spot a fake from a mile away, even the really good looking ones, it drives me crazy. it's real, or i'm not having it.

on a side note, my Tick Performance adjustable master cylinder came in yesterday, i'll post up a couple pics of that in a bit.
Well, there goes that idea. At least I tried.

How about getting a set of really nice Kateck covers? I believe that they had the older design on sale recently...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

i might look into that. i'm not totally sold on CF covers, but they're growing on me.

It looks like my motor is in the mail now. after 8 1/2 long months, it's time to get the wheels rolling again
Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this build is going to be awesome when its all said and done. 7.4L! that will scream like hell! and if you engine is going to look anything like that one pictured...wow... hurry up and finish so we can see and hear the finished product! im excited for you haha
Old 03-06-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
wow this build is going to be awesome when its all said and done. 7.4L! that will scream like hell! and if you engine is going to look anything like that one pictured...wow... hurry up and finish so we can see and hear the finished product! im excited for you haha
thanks man. it won't look like the one pictured above. i'll have a FAST intake, painted some color TBD, and it's a LSX motor, so the block will be chevy orange....but you're right it will be badass.

It looks like i'll have the motor either tomorrow or monday, depending on whether or not the carrier does saturday deliveries. it's on bitches !
Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

snapped a couple pics of my Tick master cylinder and remote bleeder, here they are:

this thing is much bulkier that i had expected. i'll be putting it in the car this week, not that it matters, since i have no motor yet.

Speaking of the motor, as of 3:30am saturday, it has been sitting in Kansas City, at the Central Freight headquarters, waiting for delivery. i expect to get it tomorrow, tuesday at the latest

as i'm typing this, i'm getting ready to go out to my buddy's shop where i've got my car hidden from the general public. we're going to put my iForged's on it and clean out the shop so everything will be ready for the big install. it's all very exciting, but you/i have to remember, i still don't have an intake, clutch, "good" driveshaft, and a few other misc items. i'm still ~$3000 away from driving the car. if someone would buy my civic, see link in sig , i could get this car going that much faster for you guys
Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

ok one more....

i've had this stuff laying around for a long time too...it's SJM's linelock & ABS delete kit. i went all out and got the brake line flaring tool and everything

i also went to the auto parts store and bought some extra brake line. i did so because i intent on hiding the linelock solenoid and proportioning valve. the SJM kit comes with pre-bent lines, and as far as i can tell they're perfect, but i need something a little cleaner looking

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

subcribed..

Quick Reply: it's gettin' close!