Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

An update on the Edelbrock coil covers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Any chance you could have left the coil packs attached to the rails and the valve covers as normal and made a slight modification to allow the coil covers to attach seperately?

I realize the covers were made to have the coils attached underneath - but it looks as if the coil covers attach to the valve covers using existing bosses on the valve covers that are unused when the coils are attached underneath the coil covers instead of on the rails as stock. It may be that a slight mod will allow the coil covers to attach to the valve covers with the coils attached in the stock manner - hence, no problem connecting spark plug wires...
Now thinking about it, I probably could have done that I can try it and see what happens. I'll take some pics and see how it works. Most likely, you would then have to grind down the bosses on the underside of the coil pack cover where the coils attatch to.

I'm betting that if you try that method, you'd have to grind down all of the bolt bosses which I guess is doable.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 02-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grinding down the bosses that are meant to have the coil packs attached to as in above pic for clearance would work.

I would worry about grinding down the remaining bosses that are just to attach the coil covers as you may have to grind so much as to remove all the thickness of material that is under bolt heads on those bosses - hard to tell as I don't have a set here to look at.

May be possible to remove that area from the factory coil rails to allow those particular bosses on the coil cover to stay as is?

I had previously went to the trouble of buying the Jegs Coil Covers (before they actually sold them without the Jegs logo - which BTW, they did after I contacted an App Engineer at Jegs and told them they would sell a lot more if they got rid of the Jegs logo), had them chromed, and added red detailing between the fins - only to have these come out - I like these better. Guess I'll have to just buy a set of these and try to modify them BEFORE I get them chromed.

Anyone wanting a set of the Jegs covers, without logo, chromed - check in the FS section - I will be putting them up today for a good price...

-Jay-
Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Post some pics of your Jegs covers, I'm curious to see what they look like.

As for concerns of grinding too much, don't worry about it. These are some solid peices and it's not like they are stressed at all. I'd say they are a good 3/8" thick at least.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Here's the Jegs covers after the chrome and red highlighting. The SLP logo & Phoenix Edition Badge can be removed (just use 3M tape) and the red highlighting can be removed also (just red vinyl tape). The black behind the SLP logo is carbon fiber vinyl and could be removed also. The area containing the SLP logo is where the original Jegs logo was that I had milled off - that way there is still an area for any logo you wish.

The covers aren't just flat - they have a lip much like the Edelbrock covers do - it only goes around the top near the intake instead of all around - that way there is no interference with the wires.

I never installed these but they aren't hard - the coil packs/rails stay as stock, and there are brackets that accept dzus fasteners in a couple places that bolt to coil packs and then use the dzus screws you can see thru the top of the covers. That way all wires stay in place...

I'll trade ya I paid $194 for the covers + $90 each for the chroming + Milling Charge = $374+

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 02-23-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks for the offer, but the reason I like these is because they are pretty low key, which is what I'm going after.

I hope the weather breaks soon and I can get some motivation to finish this epic.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I remounted the passenger side coils to the factory rail and was able to bolt on the coil pack cover right over it. You just need to use regular bolts to bolt the coils to the rail, and get rid of the factory ones that have the 'points' on them. So that makes the install that much easier.

We're bracing for a 6-10" snow storm tonight, so the t/a is up in the air with the daily driver under it right now, but as soon as the weather breaks, I can reinstall the intake manifold and then bolt on the coil pack covers. I'm going to see if I can keep the evap cylinder in the factory location, if not, I'll have to extend the plug and relocate the evap cylinder.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Great to see the idea worked!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Great to see the idea worked!
I am too. It will make life that much easier on the passenger side. I'm leaving the coils mounted to the cover on the driver's side since it's easy to reach the plugs there.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Looks good! Just got to love the Fast intake with polished rails!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boy, those would be really easy to polish up. I had contemplated getting the polished one and grinding off the logos, but after looking at these pics, I think I'll just order the natural finish and polish them myself.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Boy, those would be really easy to polish up. I had contemplated getting the polished one and grinding off the logos, but after looking at these pics, I think I'll just order the natural finish and polish them myself.
Well, if you have the right tools, it can be done, but there is a lot of work to get them polished. Can it be done, most certainly, but it's probably a fair bit of work. I probably didn't have the best tools for the job, but grinding down the logo and fins was quite a bit of work.

I'd reccomend a good angle grinder with a few different flapper discs.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I polish all kinds of stuff. The easiest way to grind off the logo would have been to use roloc discs on a die grinder. You could start out with a real aggressive disc to knock it down fast and then smooth it out with a finer disc. I have an array of scotchbrite discs as well as various grit 3" roloc sanding discs that go all the way down to 1200 grit. They'll make short work of those covers. Finish it up with a wet sanding and hand polish and they will shine.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to resurrect this thread. How's the project coming?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
I'd like to resurrect this thread. How's the project coming?
I got them mounted, then went and got a set of truck coils and haven't revisited fitting them.

If someone were interested in them, I'd sell them as they are just sitting on a shelf in my basement right now.

Here's how they looked when I got them installed and finished:

And here's how it currently looks:

Last edited by The Alchemist; 06-16-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow.. ive always liked bare coils, coil relocs, and frcs. I was like 'meh' when i saw them in the first couple posts but im genuinely impressed.

that thing gotta hemi?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I got them mounted, then went and got a set of truck coils and haven't revisited fitting them.

If someone were interested in them, I'd sell them as they are just sitting on a shelf in my basement right now.

Here's how they looked when I got them installed and finished:

And here's how it currently looks:
Possibly interested, can you PM price?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The final result looked good, it hid a lot of wiring and made it cleaner looking.

Quick Reply: An update on the Edelbrock coil covers.