Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after this thread i feel the ultra z is kind of the bigfoot of camaros lol
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Ultra Z" was just a marketing name game for SLP. They made the hood, came up with a name for it, then started making badges and stickers to go along with it that anyone could buy from them.

I talked to the SLP guys at etown, and at their facility in Toms River, and the idea behind it was for people who had Z28's but wanted something different. SLP still wasn't selling any of the SS stuff to people without a vin number, so they came up with the marketing concept of a self made specialty camaro. The customer could buy the hood, the badges, the stickers, the floor mats etc and make their own customized camaro.

SLP just happened to use their own pewter z28 as a marketing platform for their rolling showroom of add on parts.

So I guess someone could find that marketing camaro that slp had, and buy it from them, they would have an slp ultra z camaro, but so could anyone else who has the hood because that's all it was.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nuh uh, cuz that guy built that teal one too!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by VinR1
Nuh uh, cuz that guy built that teal one too!
I'm sure he did. He gave SLP his credit card number, and they gave him a hood, and he bolted it on his car. Bam, instant Ultra Z camaro by SLP.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
"Ultra Z" was just a marketing name game for SLP. They made the hood, came up with a name for it, then started making badges and stickers to go along with it that anyone could buy from them.

I talked to the SLP guys at etown, and at their facility in Toms River, and the idea behind it was for people who had Z28's but wanted something different. SLP still wasn't selling any of the SS stuff to people without a vin number, so they came up with the marketing concept of a self made specialty camaro. The customer could buy the hood, the badges, the stickers, the floor mats etc and make their own customized camaro.

SLP just happened to use their own pewter z28 as a marketing platform for their rolling showroom of add on parts.

So I guess someone could find that marketing camaro that slp had, and buy it from them, they would have an slp ultra z camaro, but so could anyone else who has the hood because that's all it was.
This

The 2002 car was just leased test car turned into a full on drag car, that happened to have the ultra Z appearence stuff on it. It was just a marketing tool, the 95 was as well. SLP's original LT1 ultra-z marketing car was Medium Quazar Blue, not Teal Green Metallic.

Last edited by LT4vert; 09-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
cobalt i think you full of bs that is what i think lol,i think thats a aftermarket hood on a lt1 , nothing out of the norm there , slp made the ultra z not the guy that lives down the street from you , that sold you a car he put a 300 dollar hood on lol
No the guy doesn't live anywhere near us. He works at SLP. he runs it and made the first 2. And someone before us owned the teal one and took the original motor out and put a ls1 in it. There's not a lt1 in that car. And ya that's a aftermarket hood cuz the original got ruined buy airplane striper. We already sent the vin # to the guy at SLP and he said that was his car at one point. So idc if y'all believe me
Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you are, good pics of a factory LT1 SLP Ultra Z Camaro
I took these a few weeks ago at the Berger all Chevy show in Grand Rapids, MI

Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Cobaltss2006
No the guy doesn't live anywhere near us. He works at SLP. he runs it and made the first 2. And someone before us owned the teal one and took the original motor out and put a ls1 in it. There's not a lt1 in that car. And ya that's a aftermarket hood cuz the original got ruined buy airplane striper. We already sent the vin # to the guy at SLP and he said that was his car at one point. So idc if y'all believe me

So it's a car that was owned by someone who worked at SLP and put one of their hoods on the car. That's all it is. I grew up in Toms River and knew of SLP back in the late 80's when my brother worked for Ed Hamburger (the father) in his oil pan shop welding oil pans for various different applications.

I bought one of the first or second loudmouth's back in 2000 and had it installed at SLP for free because they hadn't installed in on a trans am yet, only carmaro's, so they wanted to make sure the fitment was correct. I talked to them about the whole Ultra Z and it was simply an appearance package that anyone could buy.

So owning a car of a former slp employee doesn't make it anything special. No more special than owning a car of a former Pontiac employee.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not a big fan of the spoiler on the Ultra Z.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cobaltss2006
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So the LT1 that you have....that is 1 out of 2.....has an after market hood....and a crate LS1.....so in conclusion...the car is no longer an Ultra Z...just a z28 with an after market hood and crate motor....huh
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Here you are, good pics of a factory LT1 SLP Ultra Z Camaro
I took these a few weeks ago at the Berger all Chevy show in Grand Rapids, MI

But it's not teal or pewter

Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
But it's not teal or pewter

It was teal, I shopped it
Old 09-18-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-18-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got #3 out of 0 Its titty pink but I don't get to drive it to often it's hard to find fuel cause it runs off of unicorn tears
Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
I got #3 out of 0 Its titty pink but I don't get to drive it to often it's hard to find fuel cause it runs off of unicorn tears
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

whoa titty pink? can you show us which titty pink EXACTLY your talking about? googled "titty pink Ultra Z" and i got alot of different pinks.

Quick Reply: SLP Ultra Z camaro