Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Grant wheel install

Old 01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grant wheel install

I was wondering if anybody had a write up, install tips, or any advice at all, about installing a Grant steering wheel in my 94'z..

Anybody?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Launching!

As long as you understand that you'll be sacrificing your air bag, it's not that hard. You'll need a Grant 3196 adapter, and a steering wheel puller (which you can rent from Advance Auto). You will also need a pair of snap-ring pliers.

Start off by disconnecting your battery, and I think I pulled the air bag fuse too. There are two hex bolts on the back of the steering wheel that hold the airbag on, unscrew those, unplug airbag, and set aside. Remeber to start breathing again now. Gently push and turn the horn connection and it will come free. Use a 21mm socket to take the steering shaft bolt off, and then use your steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. The next steps are debateable; Some people just cut wires, others remove the snap ring, pull out the Cancelling cam, and find a connector somewhere to unplug. Once that's said and done, follow the instructions that come with the steering wheel/adapter, and you're golden. To hook up the horn, tie both of the wires together and connect them to the horn button, and then run a ground wire from the second horn button connection to one of the bolts that holds the wheel on. As an added note, your airbag light on the dash will now be lit, when it bothers you, you can take the bulb out, tape over it, or paint the bulb with hi-temp black paint.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I have been wondering this for a while. Nicely put DR, thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks DR..Thats a pretty good write up. You mention the cancelling cam, what does that do? Have to do with the air bag?

I had planned to pull the gauge cluster and remove that bulb..I have a few others to remove also

Do you have a pic of yours?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

No pics I'm afraid, I can't remember if the wires running to the cancelling cam were related to the airbag or the steering wheel audio controls. The cancelling cam itself is the device that turns off your turn signal when your wheel turns back to center, it just has other stuff attached.

There's another guy on here who has done this recently to his own car, I'll see if I can get him to chime in. It has been a number of years since I've been up close and personal with the innards on one of these cars.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Thanks DR..Thats a pretty good write up. You mention the cancelling cam, what does that do? Have to do with the air bag?

I had planned to pull the gauge cluster and remove that bulb..I have a few others to remove also

Do you have a pic of yours?
DO not just "remove the bulb" This will cause a SES light to come on.

My advice is plug the hole in the cluster with something so you will not see the light.

PS most those bulbs are board mount leds.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I pulled the airbag bulb on mine and did not get an SES light.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can wire up resistors to get the Air bag light to go out.

I think they are (2) 3.3ohm wired in parallel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grant wheel install