Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replaced my fog lights with HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitdog54
damn looks awesome. Good work
Thank you for your compliment. Like I stated before- after we get settled in Tampa, I want to look into housing a projector in a sealed beam. I doubt that I will be able to, but the stock look is what I want. I'll make sure to detail that one (if possible) when my wife signs off on that project
Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOE_TAWS6
It's looking good. I have OEM maxima HID low beams right now, And the Xentec 10000k fogs. One of the fog ballasts went out about a week ago, 9 months down the road. besides that, these things have been awesome. Im a little bored with the setup at the moment, so now its time to get some bixenon projectors, and get those in there...lol
what are bixenon projectors?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man! Maybe I can come up with something.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by my bandit
what are bixenon projectors?
They are the one's they use in some BMW's, Infiniti's, Mercedes, and a few others. They work as low beam, and high beams. When you flick your high beams on, instead of shutting off your HIDs, it triggers a solenoid, and aims your headlights up higher. (turning your hids on and off alot, like flashing your high beams, in a normal projector, isn't good for your ballasts)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MOE_TAWS6
They are the one's they use in some BMW's, Infiniti's, Mercedes, and a few others. They work as low beam, and high beams. When you flick your high beams on, instead of shutting off your HIDs, it triggers a solenoid, and aims your headlights up higher. (turning your hids on and off alot, like flashing your high beams, in a normal projector, isn't good for your ballasts)
so they are not really brighter its just the way that they get postitioned.
i saw some videos on youtube and it looks like a giant contraption.
are you gonna make them fogs?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

I am doing the headlights with bixenon projectors from a 2008 5 series. The fog lights, i might do with normal projectors (not bixenon), only because i won't need to turn on high beams, through the fogs. im not sure that would work too well.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The aim doesn't change. The cut-off shield moves to let more light higher through the lens.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
The aim doesn't change. The cut-off shield moves to let more light higher through the lens.
yea, that explains it a bit better
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

I've wanted to do this for a long time... the lighting SUCKS on my car
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks Awesome How hard was it to install?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

It took about an hour total for me. About 45 minutes on the first fog, and once I knew what I was doing, about 15 minutes on the second light.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Once again summer ended prematurely in the wet Pacific NW and the poor lighting on my T/A is driving me to tears. Since I am going to be holding on to my car for the next year or two at least, this thread is perfect as a small project that could make a big difference, so thanks for documenting this.
On ebay, supervtech shows a conversion kit for $79 as shown below:
Slim HID Xenon Kit 5000K 880 881 H3 5K H6m 3K 10K
which seems to be the one you mentioned.

I have a few questions:
1. How has the melting of the housing lens been? Did it continue to melt or did it stabilize?
2. Did the cable tie work out or did you have to tinker with it more?
3. You mentioned doing a conversion for the low beams. Do you have a plan, parts, etc. you could share for what you are thinking there?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the xentec's too and love them. they look awesome on yours
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Thumbs up

looks great my boyfriend and I just got ours in today. He got them from eBay (low's and fogs) two set for 210 shipped there the same brand as yours but our ballast's are all black.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default Lows?

What did he use for the lows? Was it one of the VIP1 recommended rigs?

Hella H9 Projectors .............. $120/pair
H9 HID kit .......................... $200+ (expensive kit)
bolts/washers/nuts/wiring....... $?
shipping............................... $?
Total ....................... Under $400

Hella now offers their D2S HID Projectors separately instead of in their overpriced kit. So, if I was doing this again, my setup would probably be something like this.....
Hella D2S Projectors ............. $334/pair
D2S HID kit ......................... $150 (might be able to get one for less)
bolts/washers/nuts/wiring....... $?
shipping............................... $?
Total ....................... just over $500
Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Disciple
Once again summer ended prematurely in the wet Pacific NW and the poor lighting on my T/A is driving me to tears. Since I am going to be holding on to my car for the next year or two at least, this thread is perfect as a small project that could make a big difference, so thanks for documenting this.
On ebay, supervtech shows a conversion kit for $79 as shown below:
Slim HID Xenon Kit 5000K 880 881 H3 5K H6m 3K 10K
which seems to be the one you mentioned.

I have a few questions:
1. How has the melting of the housing lens been? Did it continue to melt or did it stabilize?
2. Did the cable tie work out or did you have to tinker with it more?
3. You mentioned doing a conversion for the low beams. Do you have a plan, parts, etc. you could share for what you are thinking there?
1. I'll try to get a picture of the melting. It has gotten a little worse- there are small brown spots where the bulb is the closest to the lens. Doesn't affect output, and only noticeable if you're looking.
2. So far, they are holding. We'll see how long before they start to become brittle though.
3. I haven't taken care of my low beams yet, since I'm deploying shortly. When I get back, I'll look into how I want to tackle it (sealed beam conversion vs projector and homemade housing). When I do, I'll make sure I document the process.

On the ebay auction, there are drop-down menus for the bulb type and color. I would recommend reading over the write-up that 98 ws6 did https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html here for some more guidance on this. It's a really good write-up with a lot of information.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1babe
looks great my boyfriend and I just got ours in today. He got them from eBay (low's and fogs) two set for 210 shipped there the same brand as yours but our ballast's are all black.
Sounds good- I hope you like them. Like I said before, I think they are generic unbranded ballasts that are put in labeled boxes. It shouldn't make a difference though, as from what I've read, almost all aftermarket ballasts are based off of basically the same design.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by majeskyb
1. I'll try to get a picture of the melting. It has gotten a little worse- there are small brown spots where the bulb is the closest to the lens. Doesn't affect output, and only noticeable if you're looking.
2. So far, they are holding. We'll see how long before they start to become brittle though.
3. I haven't taken care of my low beams yet, since I'm deploying shortly. When I get back, I'll look into how I want to tackle it (sealed beam conversion vs projector and homemade housing). When I do, I'll make sure I document the process.
Thanks. I am wondering whether it is possible to go with a metal housing / glass lens and a HID bulb replacement type of combo for the fogs. I will do some digging.

I am really leaning towards the Sealed beam conversion route. I don't like the oddball look of the round projectors along the square hi beams.

Best wishes for a safe deployment and speedy return home.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Disciple
What did he use for the lows? Was it one of the VIP1 recommended rigs?
If you're up for a little more fabrication, there are better projectors available (TSX, FX, RX330, etc). They just aren't as easy to use on a Firebird though since they are bare projectors intended to be inside a headlight housing. Also, the D2S version of the Hella is longer and may not fit.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Default Possible rig...

Originally Posted by VIP1
If you're up for a little more fabrication, there are better projectors available (TSX, FX, RX330, etc). They just aren't as easy to use on a Firebird though since they are bare projectors intended to be inside a headlight housing. Also, the D2S version of the Hella is longer and may not fit.
More fabrication requires more time. I am already on borrowed time between work and family life and am trying to keep the cost down. This one is being done as part of an overdue winter safety improvement plan.

With a bit more research I have come up with the following proposed config (to which I would welcome any feedback or suggestions):

Other options:
      I could drop the cost $75 by doing the Eurolamp conversions but folks seem to like the ECE housings a bit better for their beam pattern.
      Or I could try another kit, e.g. DDM Tuning Lifetime Warranty, but I have seen Pros and Cons for almost every kit out there and the Xentecs come with a 2 year ballast warranty [via ebay:orangemika].

Last edited by Disciple; 08-15-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced my fog lights with HIDs