Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wheel adapters Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel adapters Yes or No?

I want to buy a set of aftermarket wheels but they dont make our lug pattern. What about adapters? Will i still be able to race, corner fast and will they stick out alot with a one inch spacer?
Old 03-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Wheel adapters Yes or No?

Like Steve said. They will change suspension/handling. When I installed a Baer brake upgrade and the wheels wouldn't clear the calipers, I bought 3/4" adapters. First thing I noticed was that the car sat lower and handling changed for worse. Hard to believe that the car was lowered, but the extra leverage brought about by spacing the wheels farther apart did it. I took them off immediately and bought new wheels.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spacers/Adapters aren't the greatest thing to run but there are some good ones out there, although I have no experience with them. Vette Brakes (I think) made adapters to fit ceratins wheels onto the Vette and Camaros. HRSprings is supposedly a good make of quality spacers not sure on the adapter.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont like wheel adaptors.. they seem to mess with the suspension geometry too much when they push your wheels out that far.. plus i think you would have lots of problems with rubbing and such (lowered??).. Oh.. and depending on the type they are not safe for heavy performance use..

There are litterally hundreds of wheels that fit our cars without wheel adaptors (a SMALL spacer is ok) So why dont you find one of those you like.. What is your price range for the wheels? Are you staying 17"??
Old 03-31-2002, 11:48 AM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Xsta Z 28:
<strong>Spacers/Adapters aren't the greatest thing to run but there are some good ones out there, although I have no experience with them. Vette Brakes (I think) made adapters to fit ceratins wheels onto the Vette and Camaros. HRSprings is supposedly a good make of quality spacers not sure on the adapter.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The adapters I referred to in my reply are the ones from Vette Brakes. They are well made, but carry the warning "...for normal street use and low speed auto crossing using street tires." Moreover, the lugs are too short to get a full grip on the lug nuts with SS or WS6 wheels. I had to rebore and punch in longer studs. Also, after installing them, in addition to the change in handling, the car shook like all four wheels were out of balance. Get the correct wheels and don't mess with adapters/spacers.

Quick Reply: Wheel adapters Yes or No?