Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Fog light Run Around...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
yes im aware of that, i was just responding to nova 5 saying any hid in a halogen housing is illegal
Reflector Housing does not equal Halogen Reflector Housing. However the inverse IS true.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StrobinSS
Here's 8000K in the headlights and fogs. I got a 894 HID kit from ebay

Man, i HATE projectors but they look good with your set up. thanks for posting up
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
So is my entire HID projector system however its still illegal to use them in a car they wern't factory installed but I'm unlikley to get busted because what cop is going to know every single vehicle and headlight combination created? Its a bet we're taking to have better lighting. Hid into a Halogen housing = horrid glare and the cop just might want to tag you for blinding him.
no where in any information i have seen posted does it say using them is illegal. the information i had searched and foud says the making and selling is illegal. to be coy they still arent legal but they are not illegal

Originally Posted by VIP1
You honestly see a difference between the pictures of your car's lights and the pictures of the car labeled as glare? ..... because they look the same to me.

The proof you posted to support your argument actually back me up instead.

Especially this pic:

HID kits often don't keep the same focal point, which sends light in the wrong place. Also HID kits put out a lot more light than Halogen, so Halogen Reflector housings which were intended to spread a certain amount of light in a certain pattern end up sending more light in places that it is not needed nor desired.

Check this out for a better explanation:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
There also are links there to DOT documents and the 2004 crackdown.... yes, in 2004 the DOT went on a crusade to try and shut down aftermarket HID Kit manufacturers and suppliers. I think they either gave up or changed the law so they didn't technically have to bother pursuing them anymore (it was a lot of work).... that is why laws are often vague and left up to the Police and Judges to determine the actual meaning. There are other laws that cover light output and beam spread which are violated by putting HID into Halogen Reflector Housing.

again the links specify only to the making and distribution of hid kits. the references they posted are the same ones i have posted in the previous page.
i never claimed my headlights were more effecient, i said they light the road just aswell, and i have experienced them from outside the vehicle. the downward and low profile of the camaro headlights seem to avoid most of the extremely bad glare, until your are nearly upon the vehicle.

im not trying to make an argument as to which one is better, they are simply not illegal like you and others have claimed. they however are illegal to sell and manufacture within the united states because they do not comply with vehicle standards.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-19-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running 6000K HID's in my low beam housings and fog housings . The light
output is significantly brighter than the stock LT's ! I can see way better at night
now and it looks great too
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no where in any information i have seen posted does it say using them is illegal. the information i had searched and foud says the making and selling is illegal. to be coy they still arent legal but they are not illegal
Using them is illegal on road. Add-on high beam lights are illegal for on-road use, yet 4x4's have them installed often, they are legal off-road since causing a problem is very unlikley when your running around in grand canyon, etc compaired to highways and interstates. That's why the say "Show/OffRoad use only" And is why DOT has stopped chasing them since they arn't claiming they are road legal or just not claiming either way.

again the links specify only to the making and distribution of hid kits. the references they posted are the same ones i have posted in the previous page.
i never claimed my headlights were more effecient, i said they light the road just aswell, and i have experienced them from outside the vehicle. the downward and low profile of the camaro headlights seem to avoid most of the extremely bad glare, until your are nearly upon the vehicle.

im not trying to make an argument as to which one is better, they are simply not illegal like you and others have claimed. they however are illegal to sell and manufacture within the united states because they do not comply with vehicle standards.
They simple ARE illegal and you just stated it. Illegal to SELL in the united states. thereby, you having bought them means they were illegal and are illegal.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

The new kits claim to have the same focal point as halogen bulbs. Remember prohibition-it wasn't illegal to drink but it was illegal to make and transport. There is a technical difference.

Also, technically ECE spec headlights are technically illegal in the US since they don't meet DOT specs.

Last edited by wannafbody; 02-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ECE tends to be more restrictive but yep, no DOT cert = not US legal. during prohibition the existence of alcohol alone was illegal, It didnt stop the making and consumption of it. Still goes on today in the form of Moonshine. The law generally doesn't bother the end user as often as the maker but they will if its out of line enough. Its illegal to sell stolen merchendise and it is also illegal to buy it. Thereby OWNING it is illegal since you had to commit a crime to own it. It sits in the damn grey area of the law lawyers live to use and they can interpret it to mean anything they want really. Its illegal to transport and sell the hid kits in the US for onroad. so like i said they now almost all carry the Off-Road/Show designator on their packaging. DOT can't do squat to the companies now. The companies can't be held liable for what other people do with their products.

DOT's legal control over lighting ends at the streets sides.

Moved focal point? Not possible. Can't defeat physics. You can CHEAT it thou. to "move" the xenon arcs focal point they would have to tint the bulb so as to block light from the ends, negating the advantage of HID.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Beyond Light Source (incandescent, Halogen, HID, LED, etc) there are laws/regulations regulating output and beam pattern. Putting HID into a Halogen Reflector housing sends light outside these boundaries and thus is illegal.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

If everyone is so concerned with whats illegal and legal then half the mods people do these cars are illegal. example (long tube headers) Also is the only issue is glare and blinding people then go to war with all trucks and suv's because their oem hid projectors project that crap straight in my eyes. So answer that hid police.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF is it with people and OMGWTFBBQ those are the illegals nevar buy HIDs ?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IRACE2
If everyone is so concerned with whats illegal and legal then half the mods people do these cars are illegal. example (long tube headers) Also is the only issue is glare and blinding people then go to war with all trucks and suv's because their oem hid projectors project that crap straight in my eyes. So answer that hid police.
Get used to the fact that each vehicle type has rules to follow and some are general to all road cars. Some are specific to the type. Ever seen longtubes say Street Legal. Or do they all say Offroad/Track use only? If a cop feels like it and you give them cause/annoy the hell out of them they can and will find everything you modded on your car that is affected by laws and issue cites on it.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IRACE2
You're comparing apples to oranges.. Long tube headers aren't a hazard to other drivers on the road. Just because other cars on the road are blinding for you at night, doesn't give you the reason or excuse to go and do the same to others. I'm sure you've heard the expression that two wrongs don't make a right. No one here is trying to act like HID police.. They're just advocating that improperly using HID's creates dangerous conditions for other drivers. Unfortunately 90% of the people on this board are too arrogant to care about that, as they're more concerned about themselves and the looks of their own car, rather than the safety of others.
Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
WTF is it with people and OMGWTFBBQ those are the illegals nevar buy HIDs ?
I don't believe anyone is saying not to buy HID's, just merely advocating if you do upgrade to them, to do it properly and install them in projectors as they were meant to be.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
You're comparing apples to oranges.. Long tube headers aren't a hazard to other drivers on the road. Just because other cars on the road are blinding for you at night, doesn't give you the reason or excuse to go and do the same to others. I'm sure you've heard the expression that two wrongs don't make a right. No one here is trying to act like HID police.. They're just advocating that improperly using HID's creates dangerous conditions for other drivers. Unfortunately 90% of the people on this board are too arrogant to care about that, as they're more concerned about themselves and the looks of their own car, rather than the safety of others.
When i was younger and defiantly dumber I had a jeep in which was mounted some offroad lights. I got tired of ******** blinding me so I reaimed them BOTH into the opposing lane and ran with the covers off. Some *** had his highbeams on blinding me? Flip the switch to power them up, click on my highs and REALLY blind him. I have since then wised up and seen just how damn dangerous that really was. Nothing like a blind man driving for the next 30 seconds as his vision recovers from the abuse.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it! I personally don't like the look of the projector lenses for our cars (Camaros). The projector lenses look like they're bulging out! I like mine just the way they are.

I replaced my stocker fog lights with a set of Hella Micro DE driving lights to avoid any issues with heat buildup. Have had my set up for more than 2 years and all is good!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

You're comparing apples to oranges.. Long tube headers aren't a hazard to other drivers on the road. Just because other cars on the road are blinding for you at night, doesn't give you the reason or excuse to go and do the same to others. I'm sure you've heard the expression that two wrongs don't make a right. No one here is trying to act like HID police.. They're just advocating that improperly using HID's creates dangerous conditions for other drivers. Unfortunately 90% of the people on this board are too arrogant to care about that, as they're more concerned about themselves and the looks of their own car, rather than the safety of others.(end quote)

Really, are you aware that longtubes without cats cause illegal pollution and cause irrating odor to cars who sit behind you traffic?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I do find it interesting, If the government is so concerned about aftermarket HID's that they haven't gone after Ebay and Ebay sellers.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They've stopped the chase because many now sell as Offroad/show.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Really, are you aware that longtubes without cats cause illegal pollution and cause irrating odor to cars who sit behind you traffic?
That is a just a mere annoyance, which I have never heard of anyone complaining that they couldn't drive safely because of it. I don't even have cats on my car, and have no intoxicating odor coming from my tail pipes that could possibly endanger a driver behind or around me. Comparing that to blinding someone in the opposing lane to the point of almost running them off the road is just insane.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
That is a just a mere annoyance, which I have never heard of anyone complaining that they couldn't drive safely because of it. I don't even have cats on my car, and have no intoxicating odor coming from my tail pipes that could possibly endanger a driver behind or around me. Comparing that to blinding someone in the opposing lane to the point of almost running them off the road is just insane.
Illegal pollution contributes to smog which can cause breathing issues and global warming.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Illegal pollution contributes to smog which can cause breathing issues and global warming.
True.. but it won't cause someone to potentially run off the road now will it? You wanna keep on, go ahead.

Quick Reply: HID Fog light Run Around...