Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Use for leather cleaner/conditioner???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU 98
I like this from the Adam's website. Since we all know that our seats (and, of course, many of the other interiors today) aren't exactly fine quality leather, this is what I really look for:

"These days, it's almost impossible to tell where the real leather ends and the faux leather begins. That's because the modern luxury car interior is a combination of real leather, leatherette (vinyl), textured plastics, and plastic coated wood venires. That means your leather conditioning product really needs to be a leather, vinyl, and plastic trim conditioning product... for exactly what the modern leather car interior needs."
our seats are "hampton vinyl"
Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Most automotive leathers are coated
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some good info...

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved

This is produced from the lower split (by-cast) of the leather hide, it is coated by first melting a type of glue on the surface, then rolling on a film of coloured polyurethane. This type of leather is also known as coated or covered.

The majority of automotive upholstery is protected leather, these leathers have aspects of a natural finish, but more uniform in appearance, split leather will also stretch more than top grain leather and is therefore subject to show creasing. The heavier pigments can create much darker colours, protected leather has a substantial finish applied that makes them more resistant to heavy wear and stains. The heavier pigments and finish do affect the softness and scent, so these leathers often don't feel or smell like real leather. These leathers are more common in the automotive industry. As the top surface has a high polyurethane finish normal leather creams should NOT be used. Reminder; you are dealing with the finished surface coating and not with the leather itself.

Detailing Articles
This is one of is one of a series of unbiased and informative, knowledge based, subject specific articles, which are dedicated to the automotive detailing enthusiast or professional detailer in search of development and further education

Copyright Protection and intellectual property rights-© This work is registered with the UK Copyright Service

All original material is copyright, unless otherwise state (1) it may be copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes only provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original material, (2) the information is copied in full with no changes unless prior written agreement is obtained from TOGWT, and a reference to © TOGWT ™ is included, any unauthorized use of these materials may violate copyrights and/or trademarks
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
our seats are "hampton vinyl"
What was that stuff Ricardo Montelban used to push for Chrysler, "fine Corinthian Leather."
Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the info...

R
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at a car dealership a few days ago, and I opened the door to a Lincoln, and BLAM! I got SMACKED in the face with an INTENSE smell of strawberry. Idk what the guy used, but omfg, I wanna know. I've tried wonderwafers, those spray bottles, they don't really last long and their not as strong. Anyone have any idea what this guy could've used?!

On a sidenote I use the Meguiars too, Everything is clean so it's work well enough for me

Quick Reply: Use for leather cleaner/conditioner???