Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing aluminum wheels questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WicketMike
since i already messed up my TT II's by using chrome cleaner on them will a powdercoat still work?
What exactly did you use on your TTIIs? I just got a set and do not want to **** them up before I can get some Mother's polish. I was told to clean them with whatever I use to wash the car. This is what I did. They of course have rag marks on them now and I have some Eagle One metal polish that is really a bunch of soft wadding impregnated with polish. Can I use that for a while untill I get the Mother's? What kind of rag should I use to remove the polish that will not leave streaks/marks?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For bare alum i use Wenol polish.. Mothers billet is very good also

Powderpainting works but ANY impurities in the metal will show up and then you are stuck with the tiny blemishes.. will look great (and be maint free) from a few feet away but will not be perfect. If they use the right clear it will not haze.

You could also clear the wheels with automotive grade clearcoat.. this will optically superior to powder but not as durrable. My old HREs were done like this and were easy to maintain.

White cotton t-shirt material seems to work the best..

And yes, you can wax your wheels with a good non-abrasive wax.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to use this stuff called 200 MPH Polish on my Smoothie II's you can do a google search for it and get some results. It's popular among the airplane guys and street rodders.
http://www.halonmarketing.com/mall/200MPH.htm

Quick Reply: Polishing aluminum wheels questions