Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Seat belt guides custom

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool idea. I've been working on something similar with my waterjet guy for the aftermarket seats (flat piece is waterjet cut and another piece is welded on). Never realized people had that much problem with the stockers...
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Very cool idea. I've been working on something similar with my waterjet guy for the aftermarket seats (flat piece is waterjet cut and another piece is welded on). Never realized people had that much problem with the stockers...
Yep, we sure do! Just need SOMEONE to pick up and idea like this with metal seatbelt guides and run with it!

Swat
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take you to make the pieces? These pieces are something that need to be made by a quick machining or casting process to make them profitable for anyone. When you consider in materials needed and your time to make them how much are you going to make off of them?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right, I'm kind of wierd like that. The truth is when I get done looking at the cost break down next week I will have a better idea. Cast is ideal but I don't have any access to those facilities. It took me quite few hours over 3 days, but I had to weld material together because my material hanging around wasn't thick enough and I tig welded it. My friends shop has a water jet it could cut and drill the holes. We could then mig weld the hoops to the bases. The time will be in the qrinding and polishing. Someone said he would want them pohished but would depend on the welds. If you look close you cant see the weld because I hand blended the pieces together their is no weld so to speak. That is where all the time is.
Really if its feasible and their is a small return I will probably make a batch. I won't really be making money, but I would really be doing it to help the f-body community.
Ed
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

That will help having a waterjet to cut out the pieces. If the welds are good enough then you shouldn't have to blend them before paint. I understand wanting to do it for the f-body community, but you shouldn't be wasting your time either. What ever you do just make sure that you are happy with your decision and it isn't costing you money to make these pieces.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I have Corbeau seats and they like most other aftermarket seats don't include seat belt guides. So I temporarily use my stock guides using velcro tape wrapped through the seat back hole (where the racing seat belts come through) and then through the guide to hold the guide in place. The velcro work great and holds the guide in place. Have never had to adjust it. Problem is that it doesn't look stock.

When positioned correctly it stops the belt from seasawing your neck and always hold the belt in place. Reach back and it's there to grab and attach.

I will eventually mount them as you have mounted yours (with screws) but the question for most of us - what did you use for the mounting on the inside of the seat back or headrest?

Is a plate (metal or plastic) on the inside of the seat fabric/leather enough to hold the guide in place or will it eventually break or pull out ruining the seat?

Don't want to ruin the potential for you to make some sales but regular stock seat belt guides will work if there is a mounting plate that works and doesn't break for mounting on the inside of the seat.

As for color - use vinyl spray to get a close color match of the guides to the traditional dark charcoal or ebony in f-bodies.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

I screwed them in to the existing holes, not sure what the material or support of those stock holes are. My piece really just lower the belt a little, so engineering wise I was thining my piece just had to be as strong as stock plastic.
ed
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I like. Looks like it would do a better job at keeping it from twisting too (mine constantly twists)
I
HATE
THAT. Thats a little thing that just Kills me every time
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
I screwed them in to the existing holes, not sure what the material or support of those stock holes are. My piece really just lower the belt a little, so engineering wise I was thining my piece just had to be as strong as stock plastic.
ed
OK - yes that will work if replacing the stock plastic seat belt guide on a stock seat but for those of us with after market seat replacements who want to use the stock seat belt need something inside the seat to attach the outer seat belt guide to.

It's either that or go back to the old style seat lap type (only) seat belt. Of course then you have to contend with officers who might stop you because visibly it looks as if your seat belt isn't attached.

Guess I can cut open the stock seat to see what is inside and possibly use it but that means we would have to pull the upholstery on the new seats to insert the inner piece.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-17-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I have Corbeau seats and they like most other aftermarket seats don't include seat belt guides. So I temporarily use my stock guides using velcro tape wrapped through the seat back hole (where the racing seat belts come through) and then through the guide to hold the guide in place. The velcro work great and holds the guide in place. Have never had to adjust it. Problem is that it doesn't look stock.

When positioned correctly it stops the belt from seasawing your neck and always hold the belt in place. Reach back and it's there to grab and attach.

I will eventually mount them as you have mounted yours (with screws) but the question for most of us - what did you use for the mounting on the inside of the seat back or headrest?

Is a plate (metal or plastic) on the inside of the seat fabric/leather enough to hold the guide in place or will it eventually break or pull out ruining the seat?

Don't want to ruin the potential for you to make some sales but regular stock seat belt guides will work if there is a mounting plate that works and doesn't break for mounting on the inside of the seat.

As for color - use vinyl spray to get a close color match of the guides to the traditional dark charcoal or ebony in f-bodies.
Just attach your factory guides the way I did here:

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...php?topic=35.0

I did the velcro thing for awhile until I noticed it was messing up my seats' fabric (wrinkling it)...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll give Corbea a call and see if they have a metal hoop installed in their seatbacks like yours. If so then I will do what you did and post some pics.

My seats are expensive (around a grand) so need to make sure something is there before I start drilling and cutting holes in the vinyl and fabric.

I have the Corbeau VX2000's. BTW they suck for comfort, are way too stiff, and offer very little lateral support around the ribs or legs. The pic in their catalog is very deceiving showing the cushions for lateral support compared to your seats, those by Arizen, and even those at Summit.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I'll give Corbea a call and see if they have a metal hoop installed in their seatbacks like yours. If so then I will do what you did and post some pics.

My seats are expensive (around a grand) so what to make sure something is there before I start drilling and cutting holes in the vinyl and fabric.

I have the Corbeau VX2000's. BTW they suck for comfort, are way to stiff, and offer very little lateral support around the ribs or legs. The pic in their catalog is very deceiving showing the cushions for lateral support compared to your seats, those by Arizen, and even those at Summit.
Yeah, mine are "cheapies" (especially at under $700 shipped for a pair of leather) but have held up better than stock over the last three years, support you WAY better than stock, and have given me no issues.

If I had money, I would get something with higher quality (softer) leather and more cushions but then you loose a little in "racing" support (cornering especially). You give some you loose some...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any word yet on these metal guides yet?

Swat
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

What ever happen to making these?

Bill
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

My buddies been busy but he is suppose to be freeing some time up. I will pm people who are interested when I get a photo of what production ones will look like.
Ed

Quick Reply: Seat belt guides custom