Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing hatch glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing hatch glass

Has anyone been able to successfully remote a piece of glass from one hatch and put it into another without it shattering?

My situation is that the defroster has some cut wires, and there was 2 layers of window tint on at one time.. and a layer was removed poorly, making the remaining layer look like crap.

So instead of going through the hassle of getting the tint removed and then trying to fix the defroster, I can find hatches with good glass for $50...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get the Glass out of the hatch, you have to have a whole new seal. Runs round 100 bucks or so. You pretty much have to destroy it to get the Glass out Im afraid.. best thing to do imo it just take it to a glass shop and have them call you once they get it out to do what you need to do before reinstallation. G'luck!
The following users liked this post:
LeadfootDuramax (10-05-2023)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a glass shop swap the glass for me. I bought a trans-am hatch on
e-bay and it arrived with the glass shattered. I had them take the glass from my old hatch and put it into the new hatch. You have to get a new seal for the glass like Creed420 said, the positive is the quality of the new seal they installed looks better than the stock one.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW if you're referring to that black trim/weatherstripping piece that goes all the way around the rear window, it can be ordered through NAPA for around $40. at least thats what it cost me when i replaced mine 4 or 5 years ago. i found out the hard way that the hatch has to come off to replace it i replaced mine because the top half wasn't there when i bought the car.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
FWIW if you're referring to that black trim/weatherstripping piece that goes all the way around the rear window, it can be ordered through NAPA for around $40. at least thats what it cost me when i replaced mine 4 or 5 years ago. i found out the hard way that the hatch has to come off to replace it i replaced mine because the top half wasn't there when i bought the car.

Do you remember what the piece was called? I am looking for the molding around the back window on a 99 Firebird and can't find it anywhere. Had the glass replaced, but can't find the molding. I'm looking for the trim/molding/weatherstrip that goes around the window to fill that huge gap. Any help you can provide would be great.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Looks cleaner without it
Old 09-30-2023, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

That trim piece has been discontinued for many years now. Not sure on the part number, but it's long gone (at least from GM).
Old 10-03-2023, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Firebird
Do you remember what the piece was called? I am looking for the molding around the back window on a 99 Firebird and can't find it anywhere. Had the glass replaced, but can't find the molding. I'm looking for the trim/molding/weatherstrip that goes around the window to fill that huge gap. Any help you can provide would be great.
You can't find it ANYWHERE. It doesn't exist. I had a glass shop fab up something with some other generic window molding for the lower part. It looks "good enough."