Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cutting hardtop headliner to fit t tops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cutting hardtop headliner to fit t tops?

Anyone ever do this? I just converted my hardtop to a t top and I really dont want to spend $300 on a new headliner. I was thinking about just cutting my original one to fit. Any suggestions? I found one in a junkyard and they want $100. Thats still too much.
Old 03-27-2009 | 12:56 PM
scj
TECH Addict

you could do it none the less, although it wouldn't fit right and it would look like crap.

the t top headliners are curved around the edges to fit snuggly around the t-top cut outs, while the hard top headliner is not. therefore it would look incomplete and the edges would be showing.

go for the $100 junk yard headliner, and get it recovered for like $70 if it's not in good condition. that way you're not paying $300 for a new one.
Old 03-27-2009 | 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

$100 would be 1/3 the cost of the entire project! I am going to put it in, take the t tops out and see how it looks. If its only going to be a small gap I can live with that.
Old 03-27-2009 | 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

All info can be found in this link here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-topless.html
Old 03-27-2009 | 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

I just went out and cut mine. Now all I have to do is get it reupholstered. Its not really all that hard.
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:26 PM
Launching!

It doesn't look good at all in my opinion. I cut mine just to see how it would look, and there's just too many places where the t-top headliner conforms and covers, that the hardtop one can't do. Make friends with someone at a GM parts counter, cost is only like $140.
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DRSITES
It doesn't look good at all in my opinion. I cut mine just to see how it would look, and there's just too many places where the t-top headliner conforms and covers, that the hardtop one can't do. Make friends with someone at a GM parts counter, cost is only like $140.
Mine looks fine.... Once I reupholster it you probably wont even be able to tell the difference. It goes all the way flush with the t top weatherstripping.

Quick Reply: Cutting hardtop headliner to fit t tops?