Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Getting scratches out of chrome? How?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Getting scratches out of chrome? How?

I've posted this before with no results. I have very light scratches on my rims and can't remove them.

So far I've used regular liquid polish on a microfiber towel and polish paste. Neither worked.

They are c6 z06 o.e. conepts from tomzwheels. So they should have a clearcoat on them correct?

Should I try rubbing compound?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a mag polish? from mothers
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

No but I used the mother's chrome polish. Also, turtle's paste and liquid polish.

What will be the difference in the MAG vs. the chrome polish?

Just apply it to a mother's ball? and can i find it at autozone?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

I just apply by had and got mine at Autozone
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else with input...bought a small mothers ball last night. looking for a good cordless drill and any other polishes that might work
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

I know the mothers "mag" polish specifically states on the back not to use on chrome.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also having the same problem with my chrome wheels. Have you tried using some regular wax for paint? Maybe it would fill it in some.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

chrome wheels cannot be polished to remove scratches, might be able to cover up the scratches some if they're not too deep

chrome is too hard to be polished, anything aggressive enough to cut into it will likely cause it to flake off in those areas...you pretty much have to get them re-chromed

this is based on personal experience, hot rodder wisdom, and it was mentioned once on one of the random car shows...prolly only once because sponsors don't want shows telling people their products won't fix it

one of the main reasons I prefer polished or satin wheels, they will last longer than anything else on the car, all you have to do is run over them with a powerball twice a year...takes 15 minutes a wheel or less and they look brand new again
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What thunderstruck507 said... chrome is a very hard substance. Additionally, it is applied in very thin layers, so if the scratch is deep, then you will not be able to remove it without re-chroming the wheel.

However, if the scratch is just a surface scratch, then you can try some things. There are certain jewelers rouges that can supposedly buff out minor chrome scratches. I do not have any experience with these however. And again, with any kind of cutting ability, you run the risk of burning through the chrome. Another technique is to use a very fine grade of steel wool with some polish like Mother's chrome polish. I again, do not have any experience with this as my wheels don't have any major scratches. Your best bet is to just get a good chrome polish and try to cover the scratches up if they are not too deep.

FWIW, I use Eagle One's Nano Polish for my chrome Firehawk wheels and they turn out nicely and it does help to hide some of the minor surface scratches in my wheels.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
I'm also having the same problem with my chrome wheels. Have you tried using some regular wax for paint? Maybe it would fill it in some.
No I haven't tried wax yet....

and to the rest of the responds; THX!

They are very light but noticeable surface scratches that cannont be felt by touch. That's how light they are, but the chrome should have a layer of clearcoat on them.

I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
No I haven't tried wax yet....

and to the rest of the responds; THX!

They are very light but noticeable surface scratches that cannont be felt by touch. That's how light they are, but the chrome should have a layer of clearcoat on them.

I'll see what I can do.
Chrome doesnt get a layer of clear coat. Are you sure they are chromed and not polished? If chromed...as stated above scratches are nearly impossible to get out...polishing with certain chrome polishes may help diminish them but you cant get them out without removing the chrome around them and its too thin to be able to do that (it will cause dark looking spots in the chrome.)

Quick Reply: Getting scratches out of chrome? How?