Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing aluminum rims.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing aluminum rims.

i have a set of 2005 corvette zo6 rims (polished aluminum) i am trying to sell so i am trying to make them as shiny as possible. can anybody tell me the best way to polish these bad boys. they are pretty dull. i have tried polish after polish after polish. adams, mothers, mequiars, eagle one, etc..... i have even tried the whole wet sanding method with 1800 grit sand paper and nothing seems to work. any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

um...are you 1000% sure they're aluminum? do they have a clearcoat?

mothers on scotchbrite then mothers on a rag/powerball is all it takes...along with time/elbow grease

unless they're chrome, in which case you're SOL, or clearcoated in which case you need to use acid to strip the coating then polish them
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
um...are you 1000% sure they're aluminum? do they have a clearcoat?

mothers on scotchbrite then mothers on a rag/powerball is all it takes...along with time/elbow grease

unless they're chrome, in which case you're SOL, or clearcoated in which case you need to use acid to strip the coating then polish them
i no for a fact they have no clear coat on them nor are they chrome. they polish up a lot when i use mothers but just not the really shiny like i want them to look like chrome but i guess it is impossible. thanks bud.